10/29/2013 RC: "Commander Quick Hits (and Cookies)

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Immortal Servitude is illegal in the Celestial Kirin deck, but the deck got me thinking on other wacky builds so I still really enjoyed seeing it.

I aggree, and adding Sun Titan will keep the spirits coming back from your boardsweeps.

1. I hope Gavin reads comments. 

2. I stopped half way through Damia. 45 lands? The secret to hitting Damia on time, this is not. Rather, it's a great way to neuter her abilty. When you're drawing a grip full of lands mid to late game, it's pretty tough to empty your hand and benefit from the draw up to seven. 

3. and you suggest adding Sylvian Plath to make this deck better? It's basically boring bug goodstuff and you want to make it more homogenous...

somebody doesn't play much real EDH

If you're going full d-bag with the sliver queen might I suggest a couple Baaaah-roken enchantments?

Mana Echoes Infinite Slivers

Opposition and it's slightly less overpowered bretheren Glare of Subdual

Winter Orb ok, so it's an artifact.  Shoot me.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

DavetheDave wrote:

1. I hope Gavin reads comments. 

2. I stopped half way through Damia. 45 lands? The secret to hitting Damia on time, this is not. Rather, it's a great way to neuter her abilty. When you're drawing a grip full of lands mid to late game, it's pretty tough to empty your hand and benefit from the draw up to seven. 

3. and you suggest adding Sylvian Plath to make this deck better? It's basically boring bug goodstuff and you want to make it more homogenous...

somebody doesn't play much real EDH

1. I do! Hurray. 

2. While I do agree that ending up with a grip full of lands isn't as exciting, drawing several lands with useful abilities is still a pretty good way to get an advantage. And it's unlikely you will draw all lands, meaning you should be able to still cast a spell or two in addition to casting a land.  If you untap a second time in a row with Damia, yes, you *may* have to settle for a "paltry" three cards - still pretty awesome. I think I overall disagree with you here.

3. Yes, the first Commander deck in the article was a more "typical" Commander deck. It's similar to what you might commonly see. However, the other decks are a bit more unusual. You may want to go back and take a look at some of them.

mrgrrrumpypants wrote:

Immortal Servitude is illegal in the Celestial Kirin deck, but the deck got me thinking on other wacky builds so I still really enjoyed seeing it.

Thanks for pointing this out! I missed that one. I'd recommend cutting it. ;)

I've nothing to add as far as the deck lists (I'll admit I'm not very good at the format) but I've still got a very important question: How long do you bake those cookies?  I'd guess about 10-11 minutes based on the icing instructions, but I hate relying on guesswork when there are cookies on the line.

dcomings wrote:

I've nothing to add as far as the deck lists (I'll admit I'm not very good at the format) but I've still got a very important question: How long do you bake those cookies?  I'd guess about 10-11 minutes based on the icing instructions, but I hate relying on guesswork when there are cookies on the line.

Haha, so true! I usually let them go about 10-15 minutes, depending on size. I'd err on the low end, and then check them to see if they need more time.

Please stop condoning the still legal Eldrazi titans, they're as anti-fun as Jin-Gitaxias..

My secret Damia tech: Manabond. :D Even something like a Putrid Imp can be a useful way to get surplus lands out of your hand to make space to draw more goodstuff, but Manabond is a rather fun way to ditch the dross once you've cast the goodstuff. Incidentally, it's my opinion that Damia decks run much more smoothly with Mana Reflection out. Even laden towards the cheap end, it can be hard to find the mana to cast all your awesome toys each turn; Mana Reflection is the best solution I've found to that.

I love Celestial Kirin as a commander. My friend has a Celestial Kirin EDH deck. It's not very good at winning, but it is fairly good at surgically blowing everything up.

Sign In to post comments