10/28/2013 FTL: "Looking in the Mirror, Part 2"

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I am sorry, but is not both Sol Ring (there was even article on this server, explaining why Sol Ring is so unfair even in such "relaxing format" like commander) and Sensei's Divining Top banned in Commander? It is at lest definitely on banlist which is used in Europe for 1vs1 Commander tournaments - http://duelcommander.com/banlist/

spirit_of_blue wrote:

I am sorry, but is not both Sol Ring (there was even article on this server, explaining why Sol Ring is so unfair even in such "relaxing format" like commander) and Sensei's Divining Top banned in Commander? It is at lest definitely on banlist which is used in Europe for 1vs1 Commander tournaments - http://duelcommander.com/banlist/

Sol Ring and Top are not banned in commander.  Sol Ring is in each of the commander precons (both this year and two years ago) and Top, while annoying and ludicrously powerful, doesn't do anything broken on its own in Commander.

The official banlist is at http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Mike wrote:

This card really exemplifies the casual Johnny mindset. Taking a card that's usually considered bad and making your opponents fear it is one of the most satisfying things you can do in a game of Magic.
Hey-hey! He understands us after all!  

This is the kind of deck I'd love to see more of in this column. Since you've demonstrated a great taste for silly synergies and finding good uses for bad cards, how about some more like this in 60-card world?

What most surprised me about this deck was running only 22 creatures. I wouldn't be surprised to see you only draw one or two creatures, get them shot down, and then be left with nothing to copy with Kiki-Jiki. But maybe all the extra cards will help with that. I do love seeing cards like Jar of Eyeballs put to good use.