10/15/2013 SF: "'Tis the New Season? Think Again

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I really don't understand why this was printed for Commander. Why not just put Doubling Season in Commander 2013? I get that Doubling Season can be overpowering, but it's not really broken in that format. This would have been a nice little card for M14. The fact this card is more limited, benefits your opponents, AND still costs 5 mana makes this terrible. So go peddle your kippers elsewhere, Bruce. I understand the need to power down standard and modern environments from time to time, but this isn't one of those formats. This is EDH. That's right, I'm going back to calling it EDH in protest. So go ahead and use Primal Vigor in your commander games. I'll play Doubling Season in my EDH games... Wizards not invited.

^ What he said.

 

This card should either be cheaper than Doubling Season or not garbage.

 

This card is trash and isn't even going to make the cut in a Ghave deck.

 

What a joke, especially for such an earlier spoiler. It even has an article explaining how terrible it is.

IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)

What the heck is wrong with Wizards, seriously?!

 

They push it so that positive effects only applies to the controller (slivers, lords etc) than they print this sucky doubling season.

 

It should be two less mana to be the least bit interesting.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

It's not so much a sucky Doubling Season as a group-hug Doubling Season.

But it really should have cost less given that all the changes relative to Doubling Season make it "worse" in non-political formats.

Commander precons could have just, y'know, included a reprint of Doubling Season!

 

(On the topic of multiple copies of Ajani Goldmane's token: I have once fired off Ajani Goldmane's ultimate, and then populated the token. Ding! Sadly I won before I could populate any more copies of it.)

Ooh how very meh of you... But I appreciate the lengthy article explaining why its not as good as doubling season, or parallel lives for that matter. This belongs in a Emmara Tandris deck which sees play by no one.

Placing glitter on a turd does not change the fact that it is a turd. I applaud the article writing capabilities put on display here. It must be difficult to try and make a BAD card seem good. Although you could probably teach some tricks to the person that wrote up (factually innaccurate) praises for Dryad Arbor prior to FtV: Realms in order to change it from a $0.05 card to a $7 overnight. EDH, the one TRUE name for the format, does not need maimed and limping reprints of good cards.

The only format that can use this card is Two-headed Giant and Emperor and only if the other member(s) of your team build their decks around this card.  Then you better hope you aren't paired up with a similar team.  Because of the existance of Doubling Season and various enchantment tutors there is no need of this card in EDH.

 

Also, as nice as it would have been to make some cards that throw back to the effects of the early days of Magic, Slivers should have been made the way they were made in the past.

 

(btw, I call the format EDH because that is it's name in paper Magic.  Commander is what it was called online.)

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

This isn't a bad card. It's nowhere near as good as Doubling Season, but Doubling Season is a spectacularly good card. Being worse than Doubling Season is like being worse than Lightning Bolt: many perfectly reasonable cards might fit that description. 

 

This will still be spectacular in Ghave decks, Rith decks, Prime Speaker Zegana decks, any number of decks. It's a lot more double-edged, which means it's more suited for players who're happy to cast things that make the whole table do crazier things. If that's not you, then guess what? THE CARD ISN'T DESIGNED FOR YOU.

 

I still think it'd have been nicer to see it one mana cheaper, as an acknowledgement that it's much "worse" than Doubling Season, but nonetheless, this is not a bad card or a "turd"; it's still plenty capable of utterly wrecking you in combination with Pentavus, Twilight Drover, Ulasht, Ghave, and so on. It's just not as good as the obvious comparison.

 

GreenBuster wrote:
(btw, I call the format EDH because that is it's name in paper Magic.  Commander is what it was called online.)
Sorry, that's incorrect. The format was originally called EDH; when Wizards wanted to publish product specifically designed for it, though, they had to change the name to avoid referencing the IP of the film Highlander. So they chose the name Commander. All the paper-Magic precons - every paper copy of Riku, Zedruu, and friends - were all published in a product named Commander. 

 

People are of course free to keep referring to the format as EDH, and many do; everyone will know what you mean (probably more than will know what you mean if you say Commander). But it's not right to claim the name Commander is MTGO-specific.

I'm going to have to concur with the general sentiment so far: this card stinks. In multi-player free-for-all game why would I want to give everybody benefits? 

 

Though it is Commander, and people like weird things in Commander. At least the rest of us can just play the freshly reprinted Doubling Season.

I hate it, a lot. Doubling Season is everything this card should be. Why not print a version with a planeswalker exclusion or something like that?

I think the PR would have gone over somewhat better if this was NOT Serious Fun, emphasis on the fun. It will always be a bad idea to write an article espousing fun, and then taking one of the beloved jewels of fun and having a sit-down, coffee table designer/developer discussion about why it is too good, and why we had to make a stranger, uglier version instead of opting for the original. This is the kitchen table, damn it!

alextfish wrote:

 

 

GreenBuster wrote:
(btw, I call the format EDH because that is it's name in paper Magic.  Commander is what it was called online.)

Sorry, that's incorrect. The format was originally called EDH; when Wizards wanted to publish product specifically designed for it, though, they had to change the name to avoid referencing the IP of the film Highlander. So they chose the name Commander. All the paper-Magic precons - every paper copy of Riku, Zedruu, and friends - were all published in a product named Commander. 

 

People are of course free to keep referring to the format as EDH, and many do; everyone will know what you mean (probably more than will know what you mean if you say Commander). But it's not right to claim the name Commander is MTGO-specific.

 

While it is likely true that the IP of Highlander may have had some influence in the name choice, the fact remains that MtgO had a format called Commander before this changeover.  They realized that they have an MtgO format so similer to a paper format that they decided to update their rules for the Commander format and call the overall paper + online format Commander.

 

Here is the article talking about it : http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/119k

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

I dont understand all the hate for this card, its still a good card. saying its bad compared to doubling season is like saying ponder is terrible compared to brainstorm so it will never be played. Its in commander so that commander decks can run both this and doubling season and it won't mess with standard.

plus heres a combo for you, play defense of the heart, primal vigor, hunted troll, and the search for 2-massacre wurm.

Brainstorm will more likely than not never see print again in a standard set because it's too powerful and skews tournament play. Wizards will print subdued cards that do similar things to take its place. I think everyone is upset because it makes no sense to do the same thing when creating new cards for exclusive use in a non competitive format. Especially when the card we want is currently legal in Modern (at least to my knowledge). I really don't know Wizards thinking on this. Is it for the so called good of the game? That's very cliche. Are they worried that this friendly format is becoming unbalanced because too many people have access to Doubling Season? Most play groups can police themselves if something is dominating the table... and that goes for Wizards' banned list too. Just butt out and let us have our format. You can have totalitarian control over all the others.

GreenBuster wrote:

 

alextfish wrote:

 

 

GreenBuster wrote:
(btw, I call the format EDH because that is it's name in paper Magic.  Commander is what it was called online.)

Sorry, that's incorrect. The format was originally called EDH; when Wizards wanted to publish product specifically designed for it, though, they had to change the name to avoid referencing the IP of the film Highlander. So they chose the name Commander. All the paper-Magic precons - every paper copy of Riku, Zedruu, and friends - were all published in a product named Commander. 

 

People are of course free to keep referring to the format as EDH, and many do; everyone will know what you mean (probably more than will know what you mean if you say Commander). But it's not right to claim the name Commander is MTGO-specific.

 

 

While it is likely true that the IP of Highlander may have had some influence in the name choice, the fact remains that MtgO had a format called Commander before this changeover.  They realized that they have an MtgO format so similer to a paper format that they decided to update their rules for the Commander format and call the overall paper + online format Commander.

 

Here is the article talking about it : http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/119k

Mmm. Okay, I stand (partially) corrected. I think that article is still consistent with the idea that any official Wizards support for the format had to use a name other than EDH, but I had forgotten that MTGO supported Commander for some time before the paper Commander product was published. Thanks for the correction

I like this card. It has a distinct variance from Doubling Season, but affords potential utility and has more of an imapct in multiplayer by forcing either you to deal with their benefitting from it, or allows your ally to. The quality that most stands out to me though is that this works as Doubling Season 2, for you, and you'd certainly not include it without ways to abuse it more readily. I suggest keeping a sac outlet handy due to it being VERY beneficial to Rite of Replication. So this card changes things from DS, and makes it a different card almost entirely. The cheapening of being a "worse" DS and helping your opponents is offset by being "better" by helping your allies. So costs seem normalized.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Sign In to post comments