10/14/2013 FTL: "Looking in the Mirror, Part 1"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Yowiezowie. That is indeed one painful Warp World deck. Definitely not one to bring out during the "friendlier" kind of Commander games.

This is a really interesting build. I'm a big fan of Warp World, but my usual deck (which isn't for Commander) goes in the opposite direction and seeks to deny permanents to my opponents rather than maximise mine. This works better in two ways:

* After a massive Warp turn you've always won and don't have to worry about something silly like Moment's Peace ruining your day.

* In less casual games, messing with token swarms and graveyard cards is something most decks can do, so it can be hard to go off safely.

On the other hand, your version is also better in a couple of ways:

* Much less vulnerable to creature stealing and/or copying effects.

* Doesn't have to worry about life gain decks since it deals sooo much more damage!

Urabrask the Hidden, Seedguide Ash and Deadwood Treefolk all seem like they might be some good in your version?

Using Warp World to "go infinite" leaves a sour taste in my mouth.  Rather than setting off randomly cool things, it simply becomes a win condition.

On a related note I had my first sad times moment with my own WW this weekend.  One of the other players was playing a finely tuned Karador deck with almost no instants or sorceries in it.  Warp Worlding when he's already ahead only made the situation worse. =/

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

This is one of my favorite FtL in a long time.  I think you should consider venturing into the commander realm a little more frequently!!

Sign In to post comments