10/9/2013 UR: "The Consequences of Attraction"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

That sir was very entertaining. Thank you.

Great story! 

This one hits on some notes I've yet to feel when reading these short stories.  The way the attacks and wounds were decscribed , the unflinching violence of the sirens, and the conflicting thoughts of Xandria were incredible.  I actually found myself almost grimmacing when reading about the entrails of the wounded man on the beach.  I can't remember the last time I read such a thing to be honest.  Also loved the duality of Xandria and how her love originally got her into this situation, kept her from embracing her existence as she is now, and finally betrayed her and caused her to take that final "step" to losing that which she tried so hard to maintain. 

Great, great, great. 

Casual player - Occasional FNM's - Prerelease/Release Events as often as I can.

U/W control is my deck of choice, but I'll play anything fun in Legacy.

What a great story!

It has mystery, it had horror, it had romance, it had fantastic character development; wow.

Even just the first passage with the vole, such disturbing imagery, whilst at the same time dripping realizations onto the readers tongue; quality writing. Then, following up with the boat you realize it's just foreshadowing the horror of the sirens, that people are no more then voles for them.

The juxtaposition of the two waking scenes, and the slow transition of Xandria from a punished human trying to separate herself from 'the others', to one of 'the sisters' shows the power, and patience of the gods. I bet that the 'shape' was smirking when she first tries human for lunch.

I'd totally jump ship for another paragraph.

It certainly was a great piece of storytelling.  I feel sympathy and awe for Xandria.  She fought for so long, but a human can only bend so far before she breaks.  For lasting as long as she did I believe Xandria had tremendous strength of spirit; spirit that the god had no right to break.  I want to slap that god.

The poor fool of a sailor at the end was simply overcome by fear.  His mind shut down and he did a stupid thing, thus ending his life and ending Xandria's struggle.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I don't even post on the forums anymore, after the horrible layout change, but this story was so good that I feel the need to congratulate Ken Troop for this piece.

Well done!

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

Unbelievable writing, to be sure. I also like Ken's bio: "erdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">Ken Troop is the manager of the digital design team for Magic R&D. He loves writing stories with happy endings."

Honestly, I can't respect Thassa after this, though. This was just pure jealous hatred of an innocent, and is already setting up that the Gods and their spite are ironically pitiful-- to be so absurdly jealous of humans... this captures perfectly that theme of Greek mythology, for sure.

Another random thought... the story implies a certain immortality that I don't see represented in the Siren cards of the set. I'll give it a pass, but it wasn't exactly necessary for development, either.

For some reason this means I need a foil Thassa even more than I did before. 

Even I'm not sure why.

Sign In to post comments