10/3/2013 CT: "The Decks of Gods"

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Command Tower, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com

"How, or why, do you attack with your commander?"

A lot of the time, I don't. And same goes for my group. I remember a memorable game where the Mayael player happened to be able to get in a random swing for 2 general damage, and murmured she was unlikely to hit the full 21. "She's not really a combat commander," he said. Another friend said "She's a lot more combative than mine," indicating his 0/2 Azami, Lady of Scrolls. I just raised my eyebrow and pointed to my "commander", no longer a creature at all but flipped into Rune-Tail's Essence...

So usually? I don't. 

But there are exceptions. I do like casting and swinging with Horde of Notions on turn 4 off a Cultivate. He's good at dealing someone 21 damage in 3-4 swings, aided by an Incandescent Soulstoke or similar.

I agree with Alex. Some Commanders are not aggressive. Sedris, the traitor king is a 5/5, but there are times when you may not want to play him, like if you have a Sedraxis Specter that you want to attack twice with. To attack or not depends on how one's deck is built and what else is on the table.

With Seizan, I may ocassionally shift into damage mode. Because he's 6/5 for 5, this is entirely possible, and a small suite of cards are in the deck for this very purpose. If I manage to get the group to attack one another enough times, I can use this to my advantage and take out the remainder. I have killed two players by having an indestructible (Plate) and trampling (Warhammer) Seizan before. It is quite satisfying.

Bruna often wins through general damage. It is very hard for the deck not to, and the regularity of its plays means the deck gets shelved longer than any other.

Karador rarely attacks. He dies too often, normally when I am pulling off bull**** and the table has to keep nuking the board and my graveyard to slow me down. Sometimes it works.

Kamahl (Green) always helps with damage. I typically choose someone to attack with him, and then send most of the team to either murder a few players, or lend a bit of support in case Kamahl cannot do it alone. I do not often win on general damage with Kamahl alone, though.

Mikaeus, another black deck I run, rarely itself wins on general damage, as the card is a worse danger to many players than is Karador (?!), possibly due to his relative newness. Mikaeus is sort of a shell anyway for a pump deck, and it is effectively a Black version of a green swarm deck, without the tokens (it is ~50% creature).

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Sign In to post comments