10/3/2013 PR: "Training Day"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

"This deck looks like White Weenie, it plays like White Weenie, but it also has reach and one of the better anthem effects ever printed."

Glorious Anthem, Honor of the Pure, Intangible Virtue, Favorable Winds, Tempered Steel, Bad Moon, Crusade, Gavony Township and Gaea's Anthem are all cards I would personally rather play unless the activated ability from Spear of Heliod was particularily relevant. I know some of those cards are deck dependant but so is every card anyways. Even something like Crusade I would rather play unless WW had totally flooded the metagame. I suppose if my deck needed a fifth anthem, I would consider this as a singleton in addition to other anthems for the unique ability but I'd still want just about any other anthem as my 4-of.

It makes me sad that none of the gods were in any of these decks.  I had the pleasure of playing Purphoros, God of the Forge in a 3-0 red deck in the cube last night.  I really wanted to see them in action, so I grabbed all of the Theros cards I could get my hands on.  Man, that card is a beating.  Purely as an enchantment, it reminds me of Hellrider in a little in terms of what it does, and when you can get it online as a creature it's too good.  I used to think Thassa would be the best God, but I'm beginning to change my mind.  I know that it competes with Fanatic of Mogis for the 4 drop slot in the red deck, but maybe there's some sort of tokens deck that you can use to break the card.  I'm crossing my fingers that each of the Gods will find their way into a deck.

It makes me sad that none of the gods were in any of these decks.  I had the pleasure of playing Purphoros, God of the Forge in a 3-0 red deck in the cube last night.  I really wanted to see them in action, so I grabbed all of the Theros cards I could get my hands on.  Man, that card is a beating.  Purely as an enchantment, it reminds me of Hellrider in a little in terms of what it does, and when you can get it online as a creature it's too good.  I used to think Thassa would be the best God, but I'm beginning to change my mind.  I know that it competes with Fanatic of Mogis for the 4 drop slot in the red deck, but maybe there's some sort of tokens deck that you can use to break the card.  I'm crossing my fingers that each of the Gods will find their way into a deck.

erdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">"...but you may find yourself Flametongue Kavuerdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">ing a Planeswalker."

Unless I'm missing something, Flametongue Kavu says "target creature". Unless you're talking about combat damage?

Overall I love the article. Thanks for posting it.

EDIT: Oh, you mean with Boros Reckoner. Got it. Nevermind!

He means it will do 4 dmg to the PW, which is analogous to Flametongue Kavu doing 4 dmg to a creature.

ratchet bomb main deck makes sence

A deck with red green top card checking planeswalkers ought to be running magma jet

is scry worth anything ?

1 cost fire breathing cantrips not worth it in mono-red ?

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

Lestat the Musical: I want more