9/26/2013 Theran Pronounciation Quiz

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature, "Theran Pronounciantion Quiz", which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Weeeell.... Beeing a G(r)eek and having a long relationship with Nyx - even before Nyx was conceived - i can tell you that, for some names, there's NO WAY a Greek would pronounce them that way.

AntoniossA wrote:

Weeeell.... Beeing a G(r)eek and having a long relationship with Nyx - even before Nyx was conceived - i can tell you that, for some names, there's NO WAY a Greek would pronounce them that way.

Yeah, I'm not Greek, but I've studied linguistics with one, as well as Ancient Greek...and several of these have...issues. I'm not expecting that Magic's take on Greek mythology be exactly the same, but there are definitely some problems with a few "right" answers:

4) The e in Heliod should not be the same pronunciation as the i.

8) The y in Nylea should not be the same pronunciation as the e.

11) C'mon, even Wiki can show you how to pronounce it - the e here is NOT like the e in "bleep"! If you said "blep" instead in English, it would be pronounced like that. It's pretty simple. :P

There were even articles about doing research on this - what happened? Did nobody learn how to ACTUALLY pronounce (Ancient) Greek?

Yeah - I pretty much failed on the 'can you pronounce greek words like someone from Seattle?' quiz. Too many 'right' answers have extended e's and o's. Not going to lose too much sleep over that though

It is clearly american quiz for american speakers, which means, not exactly accurate. For somebody from europe this sounds really funny. It is same principle like if wizards would want to handle some chinese/japanese mythology and try to pronounce it. They would think, it is pronounced correctly but chinese/japanese speaking person would only laugh on such "childish attempts".

Natural speakers from Greece do not pronounce any "ah" "oh" and so on. Simply their "a", "o" and so on sounds different than american spelling.

PS: On the other hand, you can make fun of my English. However I am not making quiz about american English pronounciation.

This has to be the weirdest quiz I've taken in my life.

Why is there a Bleep in Catobleepas? Do you really have to pronounce that weird eee? Americans are weird.

"This is weird" said every non-american ever, including this one. I don't know too much about Greek pronounciations, but the answer were still a little odd. Heli...ad?

But score for only "uh"-ing three times!

There are even one or two pairs of suggested pronunciations where I say both versions identically , which makes it even harder...

M:tG Rules Advisor

I got 1-6 and 9-12 right on the first try and I got 7-8 on the second try.  Although I admit I would not have gotten catoblepas if it were free guessing...I thought the 's' at the end was silent, and I had no idea about the "BLEE":  Cah-TOH-bull-pah is how I've been saying it.

I've been saying Purpohoros's name over and over and I can't enunciate the difference between options b and d...they come sounding the same to me.

For Nylea I personally think option a sounds like the proper middle syllable, but option c has the proper emphasis on the syllables.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

There is a huge difference between how all of these things would be pronounced in modern Greek, which is what most people are familiar with these days, versus how they'd be pronounced in ancient Greek, which is what the setting would actually imply.

Fortunately, none of that matters because none of these names are in either modern or ancient Greek. The transliteration of the Theran languages into English has borrowed some of the conventions of the transliteration of Greek into English but, first and foremost, all of these words are Theran and not Greek. And, since Wizards made up Theran, wholecloth, whatever Creative says the pronunciation is is exactly what the pronunciation is because they're the only ones who've really "been there" to hear. Any other arguments about prounciation that anyone could come up with are fundamentally baseless.

I appreciate the pronunciation guide, and hope every set hereafter has one, but some of these DO sound wrong to me.

And for what it's worth, here is googles definition: The catoblepas (from the Greek καταβλέπω, (katablépō) "to look downwards") is a legendary creature from Ethiopia, described first by Pliny the Elder and later by Claudius Aelianus. It is said to have the body of a buffalo and the head of a hog. ...

not a boar ?

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]

Thalatta wrote:

AntoniossA wrote:

Yeah, I'm not Greek, but I've studied linguistics with one, as well as Ancient Greek...and several of these have...issues. I'm not expecting that Magic's take on Greek mythology be exactly the same, but there are definitely some problems with a few "right" answers:

4) The e in Heliod should not be the same pronunciation as the i.

8) The y in Nylea should not be the same pronunciation as the e.

11) C'mon, even Wiki can show you how to pronounce it - the e here is NOT like the e in "bleep"! If you said "blep" instead in English, it would be pronounced like that. It's pretty simple. :P

There were even articles about doing research on this - what happened? Did nobody learn how to ACTUALLY pronounce (Ancient) Greek?

I think you may have misunderstood Nylea's pronunciation. "Nigh" and "lee" definitely aren't the same vowel. The first has the same vowel sound as "die".

helius is the greek name for the sun.

helium is the element produced by hydrogen fusion at its center

did better on the tsest than expected

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]

JNSiQwa0 wrote:

There is a huge difference between how all of these things would be pronounced in modern Greek, which is what most people are familiar with these days, versus how they'd be pronounced in ancient Greek, which is what the setting would actually imply.

Fortunately, none of that matters because none of these names are in either modern or ancient Greek. The transliteration of the Theran languages into English has borrowed some of the conventions of the transliteration of Greek into English but, first and foremost, all of these words are Theran and not Greek. And, since Wizards made up Theran, wholecloth, whatever Creative says the pronunciation is is exactly what the pronunciation is because they're the only ones who've really "been there" to hear. Any other arguments about prounciation that anyone could come up with are fundamentally baseless.

Being a G(r)eek and being familiar with modern (obviously) AND ancient Greek (and the different views on pronounciation) even being familiar with text that deal with pronounciation from that time, I have to agree. Theros is not Greece. Nor ancient neither modern. Just inspired by it. So it does not have to be accurate. 

But if we discuss flavour, being closer would help. There are even words that do exist in Greek (ancient and modern) and have a meaning. More. Have the meaning that the cards want them to. Just not the pronounciation. Why on earth Wizards would want to get the inspiration, get the word, get the meaning but not the pronounciation?

It is not a crime. It does not make the set worse. Looks just fine. It does not bother me. I just had to say it.

(On the bottom line, you have to forgive my lousy English)

Yay. My degree in Classical Greek and Roman society, art, culture, artchitecture, and languages was actually kind of, sort of useful... from a certain point of view... not really... but it was fun to think I was putting that education to good use.

And I may have only gotten a B in Ancient Greek, but yeah I'd dispute some of those pronunciations. Honestly, though, this set does so much right I'm not gonna complain too vociferously. Can't wait for tomorrow night!

I am not a scholar of ancient Greek (I know a little, but not a lot), and I was not perfect on the quiz, either.  However, I do get the impression that some of the people here criticizing the pronunciation guide may not be familiar with how to pronounce the answers that Wizards is giving.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...