9/20/13 Latest Developments: A Card Is Born

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

An OK card, but not particularly evocative of Typhon, imho.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

That art just doesn't do it for me, but I can't pinpoint exactly why. Maybe because of a lack of scaling birds/trees he doesn't look very big. Maybe because of his neck bend downwards he doesn't look very dominating. Dunno he just looks lame.

Article is awesome though =)

It really baffles me that Fabled Hero had protection from black at some point.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Finally, an article about how they made a card good. Flavor...um, well, thats probably why its not named Typhon anymore.

"The card was doing the appropriate job of being a bomb in Limited, so it wasn't actually blocking progress."

You realise you just said that out loud, right?

I always assumed Limited bombs weren't done intentionally. Given that your comment exposes that they are, please STOP this practice and never do it again.

:-( <--- This is my very grumpy face!

It doesn't especially look huge, indeed because of the lack of scaling or other size cues. It certainly doesn't look like a father of all monsters. It's a moderately cool dragon though.

I don't like random prot-colour tacked onto maindeckable rares. It just randomly hoses decks with no thought involved, just the luck of the random pairings. I've avoided playing Animar on occasions because prot two colours is too close to protection-from-everything for many decks. 

It feels legitimate for me to defeat a control player by punishing them for having lots of cards in hand. Less so if that same card randomly has protection from the colour of the removal spells they happen to have drawn this game, where next game it might be different. I don't like that kind of use of protection from colour. Protection is a blunt and powerful instrument, but protection from a single colour isn't enough to be reliable against a balanced metagame, so it'll just randomly swing some games based on the luck of the dice.

Hm, I didn't realise I felt strongly enough about that issue to rant about it for two paragraphs. Moving on.

I also much prefer the template "Monstrosity 2 - {5}{R}{R}" (as used in the playtest text) rather than the final "{5}{R}{R}: Monstrosity 2." It'd be different if "Monstrosity" were a verb, but having a noun used as a keyword action, when it always follows an activation cost, is just obscure. The suspend / reinforce template worked fine, and this monstrosity template just looks horribly clunky.

I agree with the other posters that both the art and the stats make this appear more like an fast, aggressive, tricky dragon than an epic "monster of all monsters".  Also, from a spike perspective it would have been pretty sick at 1RR monstrosity 1 version, or even 2RR.  Paying a bunch of mana to get bigger is a pretty Timmy ability, but putting Gaze of Adamaro (at the same cost) on a hasty Dragon is a pretty amazing ability.  Also, at 4RR I feel that there would have been a more natural feeling to what the card does: 5th turn-play it, swing for 4; 6th turn, activate monstrosity, let's say the control opponent still has 6 cards in hand so do 6 damage, swing for 7.  Wow!  For me, 4RR Monstrosity 3 seems the most logical cost.     

Confidant is a word, but it isn't an adjective.  You may want to fix that.

Not really much else to say, though. Super efficient dragons, or actually dragons in general, don't do it for me at all.  I'd much rather see a good, strong Ooze.

What's everyone upset about? I think the art matches a 4/4 body. Maybe they're upset because they think the "father of all monsters" should be bigger? He gets bigger when he's monstrous. Besides, you can't compare this dragon to what you've seen before... because this is a different plane. What is considered to be the father of all monsters on the plane of Theros may be considered to be a runt on a plane like Jund. It's all relative. Bottom line: I like the art. It's different enough to set itself apart from other dragon art. Snake-like body and color pattern. Good job

carrionpigeons wrote:
Confidant is a word, but it isn't an adjective.  You may want to fix that.
It's like when you play Bob Maher, you know you're going to draw a lot of cards and win.  So you're Dark Confident.

DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.

Keep in mind the card wasn't necessarily exactly as it currently is + pro black. (If it was, though, that is weird: Mirran Crusader was a fine card and that heroic ability is certainly better than pro green.)

blah blah metal lyrics

@Guest182532702: The dragon looks giant to me. It is perched on a mountain's ledge, and the amount of area its body is covering is massive. From my perspective, it's a large monster because I have stood on mountain ledges and looked around. I hope its cost in dollars will not be too monstrous for me to acquire a singleton. 

bateleur_ wrote:

"The card was doing the appropriate job of being a bomb in Limited, so it wasn't actually blocking progress."

You realise you just said that out loud, right?

I always assumed Limited bombs weren't done intentionally. Given that your comment exposes that they are, please STOP this practice and never do it again.

:-( <--- This is my very grumpy face!

Most big dumb rare creatures without nothing special are these. In Masters Edition IV, for example, they realized at some point that most rares were cool Constructed cards and the like, so they added things like Cloud Dragon and Dread Reaper. Yes, just to shake up Limited with bomb rares,

I noticed at least one other person said something was weird about the art...

I think the dragon itself is pretty awesome, I love the direction they went with it.  Even the scale is fine with me.  It's that strange lightning coming out of his mouth that looks off.  It's almost like a copy/pasted tidbit that was added in after the rest of the card was done.  Just doesn't fit to me. 

Love the card though as I've always been a huge fan of dragons.  I hope to pull one or two to put into my current dragon deck.

Casual player - Occasional FNM's - Prerelease/Release Events as often as I can.

U/W control is my deck of choice, but I'll play anything fun in Legacy.

darcness228 wrote:

I noticed at least one other person said something was weird about the art...

I think the dragon itself is pretty awesome, I love the direction they went with it.  Even the scale is fine with me.  It's that strange lightning coming out of his mouth that looks off.  It's almost like a copy/pasted tidbit that was added in after the rest of the card was done.  Just doesn't fit to me. 

Love the card though as I've always been a huge fan of dragons.  I hope to pull one or two to put into my current dragon deck.

I think the lightning is what is supposed to give the scale.  The lightning looks like it is supposed to be the same size as you would get from a thunderstorm and it is coming out of the dragon's mouth.  Granted, without anything else of known size it is just speculation but that is my feeling on the size of the lightning.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Of course limited bombs are intentionally created! Variance creates excitement. Lack of variance decreases replay value.

Goblin Artisans
a Magic: the Gathering design blog

GreenBuster wrote:
I think the lightning is what is supposed to give the scale.  The lightning looks like it is supposed to be the same size as you would get from a thunderstorm and it is coming out of the dragon's mouth.  Granted, without anything else of known size it is just speculation but that is my feeling on the size of the lightning.
That and I suspect the mountains in the background.  But both require a bit of playing along.  There's nothing in the art that indicates it isn't a 1-foot-long lizard, perched on a small rock close to the viewer.  It doesn't particularly bother me, but one or several trees growing in the area under the wings would have done the job.

There is a thing that puzzles me: at one point it is said that Kelly Digges, after a pass on the file, "touched up the card to better line up with how cards are templated. He left the following comment: KD 1/16: Order of abilities based on Akroma"; in this version the card has, in this order: Flying, protection from white, haste. Then later the card changes back to how we can see it now in boosters: Flying, haste, protection from white; but no-one explains when and why it was reverted back.

In fact I suppose it somehow makes more sense in the final version, both for aesthetic reasons (the two abilities having one shorter word before the longer one with more words) and for "logical" reasons (from the most basic-core ability, flying, to the still evergreen one, haste, to the one who mostly fell from grace compared to the past, protection), but anyway, since they cared about telling us that Kelly Digges had made that change, they also shouldn't have left us with the curiosity of figuring out why it was changed back... I mean, if they didn't want to make a following, it wasn't even worth showing us that change in the first place.

I have my theory: despite templating rules and tradition, since protection became a much more marginal ability since Akroma's times, they decided it was ok changing things around and set a "new (world ^__^) order" for abilities, in cards with multiple abilities, moving protection to the far right. But this is just a theory: I would like someone from inside Wizards to confirm it or deny it.

If you take out the concept of a titanic creature, a child of the Titan Gaea, of a creature whose issue with Echidna produces the Gyges, the Cyclopes, the Hecatonchires, those giants amongst the immortals, as well as the Chimera, the Sphynges, etc., then you just have a dragon. Even the concept of "dragon" was enforced. It is a dragon, with a passing nod to Typhon. But without this post, without that art description or its history, one would never associate this card with Typhon.

Instead, it's just a dumb red dragon, a "Limited bomb," an "answer to a card that shouldn't have been printed" (you need to stop making cards that make you sit back and design other cards to "answer," then "answer again," R&D).

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)