9/19/13 Perilous Research - Polishing Up For The Prerelease (Theros)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

in a two-color deck environment, if the signals from your right are strong enough, it doesn't really matter if the player to your left is already in that color. you can just move into that color and grab cards in your other color during pack2 (shouldn't be hard, since we're supposing people will be cutting hard on your main color and following the rest of your pack1 signals as well). perhaps you'll be able to grab a couple of cards in your main color too (if some packs are deep in it). now notice what this means: during pack2, the people on your right will get ZERO cards in that color, since it is getting cut hard on your left, with any remaining cards getting picked by yourself. you can then easily imagine what will happen in pack3 (hint: OVERKILL) especially taking into account that you've been signalled to get into that color from your right to begin with......

"erdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">the basic tenants of Draft and Sealed Deck"

Gah. "tenets" is the word. "tenets". Whoever edited this article should not have let that one past. There were lots of editing oversights in Tuesday's ReConstructed too.

But yes, it's interesting that bestow loves heroic, bestow helps devotion, but devotion doesn't work so well with heroic unless you're loaded up on Auras.

there's an an ordeal aura in every coilor

a common cantrip aura in every color

Yes, doctrine should not be confused with a renter or, with another n, a British actor or singer.

Compliment/complement is the other error I still see a lot.

Um. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Heroic activates as soon as the creature is targetted, destroying the creature in response won't stop the heroic trigger from resolving will it?

when a herioc cdreature is traggeted, an incidence of it's ability goes onto the stack

so I shock cast on the stack afterwards will resolve before the heroic ability

phaseshifter wrote:
Um. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Heroic activates as soon as the creature is targetted, destroying the creature in response won't stop the heroic trigger from resolving will it?
Correct, although many (most?) heroic abilities are meaningless if the host creature is gone.

Removal is pretty bad in this set, but don't mistake the expensive Bestow and Monstrosity costs for it being a slow environment.  A properly curving deck that doesn't rely on enchantment creatures can step over opponents staring at a hand of 4-drops.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Sign In to post comments