Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for...

59 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic ArcanaCard of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of September, 2013.

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

3rdTurnAvenger wrote:

How are these trailers always so darned epic?!

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

Jakusotsu wrote:

Enchantment Artifact - wtf?!?

And how does Red get a 4/5 for four with an upside (even if it's rare)?

Amarsir wrote:

Yeah I made the same comment on that guy last week.  And I can't help but notice that the comparable green creature is a 4/5 for 5.  I know they have different upsides so it may be hard to compare, but the immediate impact of seeing those promotional cards side-by-side is that Red gets better creatures than Green now.

EyeballFrog wrote:

Those forests look lovely, as does the third plains art. Though I can't help but notice that the third island art has the strangest boner right now.

Jakusotsu wrote:

I love all of them Plains. And Paquette's Forest is gorgeous.

alextfish wrote:

I don't actually like those basic lands that much, except for Paquette's. They're too muted, pastoral. Great for paintings on old ladies' walls, but not how I want my Magic: the Gathering artwork to look.

I like basic land artwork with good contrast, striking lighting effects, that kind of thing. Island 236 is great - that shaft of sunlight makes it. Likewise Forest 248 - the setting sunlight makes it beautiful.

In fact, it's notable that in every case Adam Paquette's art, the bottom-left one in each square of four, is much more beautiful than the others, and is also the one with the best lighting effects. The other three artists are certainly capable of great things, but Belledin's and even the classic Rob Alexander's art isn't exciting me here at all. The art just looks blurry, murky, indistinct. Raoul Vitale's art is at least crisp, and fine here, but not exciting.

I'll stick with my John Avon and Stephan Martiniere.

RedPizzaElf wrote:

I LOVE forest 248!!! Thank you, Wizards for making some swamps w/o dead things floating in them or decomposing. As someone who has worked in them, I attest they can be places of beauty. If WotC's artists have never been to one, I recommend going. The visit is sure to stir his or her creative juices!

RedPizzaElf wrote:

Edit: stir their creative juices!

GoutyNaturalists wrote:

RedPizzaElf wrote:

I LOVE forest 248!!! Thank you, Wizards for making some swamps w/o dead things floating in them or decomposing. As someone who has worked in them, I attest they can be places of beauty. If WotC's artists have never been to one, I recommend going. The visit is sure to stir his or her creative juices!

Have you seen the Lorwyn swamps?  Those are all realistically majestic.

GrimjawxRULES wrote:

I love it when Wizards post edh decklists that are actually somewhat on a budget. I hate seeing edh decklists containing fetchlands and oldschool dual lands because those things are expensive as hell, so this list is a welcome change. More of these casual and budget-friendly lists would certainly not go amiss.

chasertc wrote:

Is Painter's Servant legal now or something?  Gathere says it's banned in commander...

RedPizzaElf wrote:

I, too enjoy budget commander lists.More, please.

pedrodyl wrote:

Painter's Servant is indeed banned in EDH, according to both Gatherer and the EDH website. This guy was probably playing by some allowed house rules, since the only synergies with that card in this deck are with Chameleon Colossus and Grand Architect, both of which are relatively harmless. He does include some other BS combos like Time Sieve and Thopter Assembly, and Composite Golem and Nim Deathmantle though...

I couldn't enter this page from the article, but I want to point out if the tokens are made by Xenagos, then they should have haste. He doesn't give them haste until end of turn, they have haste when made, and it is important for Naya populate.

What Megadog said.

So... is this challenge deck going to be an exact carbon copy of the first WoW TCG Raid deck? Because that one was also all about defeating a Hydra.

Gah, LSV's list for a Varolz deck has zero interaction with your opponents and includes Protean Hulk which is Banned in Commander.  They really need to check stuff like banned cards before posting decks as "Suggestions from the pros!"

56866188 wrote:
I knew the attempt to "make the game simpler and more [accessible] to new players" would get forgotten and it sure didn't take long. Gary Adkison

Theros' Intro Packs are the most compelling ones that I've seen. I'm definitely signing up for Open Dueling.

Didn't think the Spellslingers vid would make me laugh, but then:

"Have you broken bread in your deck build?"

As far as watching other people play Magic goes, this video was pretty fun and I look forward to the next one. I assume they will not going into the rules for every video.

Originally I was annoyed that this was in Geek & Sundry's feed, not uploaded by WizardsMTG, because I have no intention of subscribing to them.  But after skimming through the video I realize I was wrong.  This is MUCH BETTER in their feed than yours, Wizards.  It's clearly made for people who don't play Magic, and the fact that you put it in front of them and not me is a double win.

So well done on that connection and I apologize for doubting you.  If you manage to score a video with Jenna Marbles sticking cards in front of her dog, feel free to leave that in her channel too.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Thanks for your article, Trick! I laughed when I saw the words "you must have fun." 

yay cube

For having 10 rares in the Event deck, disappointing only two from Theros.

Nice for the shockland though.

Promo art for Sin Collector is terrifying. I love it.

Ughh... I hate the new Sin Collecter art. He looks more like a mad scientist that belongs in Innistrad than a tax man for the Orzhov.

Pedocollector.

Actually the Inspiration dude:

Also by Izzy.

The other youtube links don't work.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Huh. There's a waterfall on Temple of Mystery? At card size it just looks like a tree in a cornfield. That's an utter fail at making art recognisable when it's shrunk to card size. The water being YELLOW doesn't help. (I'm all for making water more interesting colours than just blueblueblue, but it does need contexts where it can be told that it's actually water. Being underneath, y'know, a tree isn't where we'd expect to see water.) 

And even looking at the full-size art, it still doesn't look like a temple... just a tree on a waterfall.

The sky is lovely though.

The sketch of Temple of Mystery shows the waterfall much better. I had no idea there was a waterfall there before now :S Even blown up it's unclear on the finished art.

I much prefer the sketch in all respects, at least for card art. The final art would probably make a good poster though...

if ther's one thing I like more than cards it's more cards

NO WAR

Cartoon The Fish

Zinquox wrote:

Ughh... I hate the new Sin Collecter art. He looks more like a mad scientist that belongs in Innistrad than a tax man for the Orzhov.

What?! You're not supposed to make a Guild bent on controlling the markets (and minds) of consumers through enticement, pleasability, or decent marketing options? FEAR man, that's why there are zombies everywhere! The Orzhov have a piss-poor marketing campaign (and I know who runs it) and sadly in the years since they were first created it hasn't improved because ZOMBIES!!!!!

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

So wizards have generously dropped the entry fee for release sealed events from 24 tickets to 20 tickets whilst reducing the 1st level payout by 5 packs, the second level payout by 4 packs and the third level payout by 1 pack. 

That's a serious cut in the prizes - they've removed from the event 108 tickets worth of prizes while reducing the total entry put up by players by 64 tickets, all while spinning it as a positive thing.

Wow that is a really terrible way to treat customers. If you are going to make it more expensive to play MTGO just be honest. These stunts, for me at least, are just making wizards as company and a brand a really negative thing. I know its all about profits, but you're just spending customer sentiment like it has no value. My love for the game is what keeps me spending money on MTG(O) but its under pressure from just how increasingly negative I am feeling about wizards as a company. 

You forgot to factor in the cost of the Hero's Path entry object, which is 5 dollars. Bringing the total of the sealed event to 25 dollars. Which is the same amount that the Magic 2014 prerelease sealed event cost online. Which also had a 10-4-1 payout.

Proof of my claims about M14's Online costs and payouts: Link

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

It feels like they want to take prizes out of the mix entirely.  Just "pay to play", with a $25 entrance fee.  You have to admire the arrogance of thinking they can get away with that, what with the digital card game competition at an all-time high.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Marath, Will of the Wild is definatly nasty when used as a general.  He is pretty cheap to begin with and gets stronger the more times he is played out.  Sadly the method that he uses to get +1/+1 counters makes him a horrible reanimation target as he needs to be cast either from the hand or command zone to be anything other than a 0/0.  Derevi, Empyrial Tactician is pretty neat too as you only need to pay four mana to dodge countermagic and not worry about how many times he has been put to the command zone.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Who are these "Legendary" characters? 0_o So at least some of them (I might be missing other references) refer to certain places, but non of them are actual characters, with an actual backstory.

I hope some of the other cards in these sets are some actual characters that missed out on cards during their initial run in the storyline, recent and old!

WotC, perhaps you're making changes, but wasn't Esper (UWB) a shard of artifact creatures? I like the new general; it was a surprise to see a non-artifact creature. The Naya (RGW) general is great. Nice job.

@GreenBuster: I'd be unsurprised to see one or more Ordeal cards in the Naya deck. If we're lucky, chained to the rocks will be in it. 

I'd like to see crosis, the purger in the Grixis one. Fingers are crossed.

Sign In to post comments