9/5/13 Command Tower: Choose Your Destiny

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Command Tower, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

RedArcher wrote:

The links in the article are all dead ends and lead to an "article not found" notice page.

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

alextfish wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Worked great for me. I enjoyed this format.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" />
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">One note on the second Polukranos deck: Voyager Staff doesn't work very well with fighting. All it'll do is let you cancel a fight if the opponent plays a combat trick or similar to sway the outcome, because a creature not on the battlefield (or one that's been flickered) can't deal any damage.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pretty cool to see Erebos. Greed plus a helping of anti-lifegain looks pretty handy.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I feel silly now that I hadn't realised Commander was the reason all the Gods are templated as erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">"Legendary Enchantment Creature" with "As long as..., ~ isn't a creature", rather than "Legendary Enchantment" with "...~ is a 5/6 creature"

RedArcher wrote:

alextfish wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Worked great for me. I enjoyed this format.

Yep. Works for me now too. I guess they fixed it between when I first looked and you did.

gruulsmash wrote:

alextfish wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">One note on the second Polukranos deck: Voyager Staff doesn't work very well with fighting. All it'll do is let you cancel a fight if the opponent plays a combat trick or similar to sway the outcome, because a creature not on the battlefield (or one that's been flickered) can't deal any damage.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pretty cool to see Erebos. Greed plus a helping of anti-lifegain looks pretty handy.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I feel silly now that I hadn't realised Commander was the reason all the Gods are templated as "Legendary Enchantment Creature" with "As long as..., ~ isn't a creature", rather than "Legendary Enchantment" with "...~ is a 5/6 creature"

the staff is there to rest pulkranos so you can do it again

alextfish wrote:

gruulsmash wrote:

the staff is there to rest pulkranos so you can do it again

Ah, yes, that does work quite nicely  
I guess it was just the context suggested that the author thought it'd work with fight effects in general, which it doesn't really.

fuxorfly wrote:

I don't understand why the Kaervek deck's biggest weakness is our opponent gaining life; if we kill them with commander damage from Kaervek, what do we care how much life they gain?

CommanderJim wrote:

fuxorfly wrote:
 I don't understand why the Kaervek deck's biggest weakness is our opponent gaining life; if we kill them with commander damage from Kaervek, what do we care how much life they gain?

Only combat damage counts towards commander damage.

RedPizzaElf wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Devotion and legendary enchantment are clever ways to make the god creatures, but shouldn't Erebos's draw ability be 1B, pay two life: draw TWO cards ( a better sign in blood) ? Or was this tested and found to be too good?

fuxorfly wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">

CommanderJim wrote:

fuxorfly wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Only combat damage counts towards commander damage.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh wow, I've been playing it wrong this whole time 0_o

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:13px">

Jakusotsu wrote:

alextfish wrote:
I feel silly now that I hadn't realised Commander was the reason all the Gods are templated as "Legendary Enchantment Creature" with "As long as..., ~ isn't a creature", rather than "Legendary Enchantment" with "...~ is a 5/6 creature"erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your latter version would actually read something like "...~ is a 5/6 black God creature. It is still an enchantment."
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Much more clunky, and without the P/T printed in the lower right corner.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Which makes me think: Does the creature type "God" apply when it isn't a Creature due to lack of devotion? Can you search for a "God" card in your library and legally find this? Or does your devotion count even matter when it's not on the battlefield?

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:13px">

alextfish wrote:
Jakusotsu wrote:
alextfish wrote:
I feel silly now that I hadn't realised Commander was the reason all the Gods are templated as erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">"Legendary Enchantment Creature" with "As long as..., ~ isn't a creature", rather than "Legendary Enchantment" with "...~ is a 5/6 creature"erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your latter version would actually read something like "...~ is a 5/6 black God creature. It is still an enchantment."
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Much more clunky, and without the P/T printed in the lower right corner.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Aerdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">bsolutely, but that's still the standard way they do things. The original Jade Statue approach (printing the P/T on cards with an activated animation ability) is long gone. Still Life and Stalking Stones don't have P/T printed, nor do the Celestial Colonnade cycle etc.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's likely that next time they create a card which animates itself as a static ability they'll do it this way, sure. But the fact that the gods are legendary creature cards when not on the battlefield has to be deliberate too. We know they know Commander is a big thing.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Jakusotsu wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">And another question (referring to my edit above):
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">If devotion is a static ability that only applies when ~this~ is a permanent on the battlefield, will Pandemonium trigger and then deal 0 damage without enough devotion?

alextfish wrote:

Jakusotsu wrote:
Which makes me think: Does the creature type "God" apply when it isn't a Creature due to lack of devotion? Can you search for a "God" card in your library and legally find this? Or does your devotion count even matter when it's not on the battlefield?

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I believe that they are always creatures in your library or when they're not on the battlefield, and thus they do have type God. Time of Need could search one out, for example.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">However, if they're on the battlefield but you don't have sufficient devotion, they're not creatures and don't have type God. Steely Resolve set to God won't protect one against Altar's Light unless you have sufficient devotion.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:13px">

Jakusostu wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">And another question (referring to my edit above):
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">If devotion is a static ability that only applies when ~this~ is a permanent on the battlefield, will Pandemonium trigger and then deal 0 damage without enough devotion?

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope, Pandemonium won't even trigger (nor will Soul Warden etc). If one is entering the battlefield, all static effects modify the way it looks as it enters the battlefield. In the same way that Xenograft allows any token spell to pump your Champion of the Parish, or Metamorphic Wurm with threshold will trigger a Kavu Lair.

Jakusotsu wrote:

Thanks for clarifying! So it's not a characteristic-defining ability which functions in all zones (but it could well have been). Let's see what the FAQ will say when it's out.

Qilong wrote:

Jakusotsu wrote:
Thanks for clarifying! So it's not a characteristic-defining ability which functions in all zones (but it could well have been). Let's see what the FAQ will say when it's out.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is a creature in all zones, save when you lack devotion to [color] = [X] when the card is on the battlefield. God cards may be generals, can be tutored for with Sisay or Time of Need, can be uncovered with Grisly Salvage, may be Briberied as well as pulled with Wild Research, can be recovered using Gravedigger erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">orerdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Auramancer -- erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">or botherdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">. There isn't that much here save that the ability turns itself off when it's in play and your devotion is below the threshhold. This means it counts as both a legendary card and a creature spell on the stack, but without that devotion value reached, it will never come into play as a creature, and thus any card that cares about it entering the battlefield as a creature will not see it. This is good news against various forms of removal, Clones, Negate, Gather Specimens, etc.

Jakusotsu wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Although I would have loved to gather specimens of a God. :D