9/5/2013 PR: "Weaving Nightmares"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

PureLiquidAwesome wrote:

I can understand focusing on standard for a preview card decklist, but it hurt a little bit when I didn't see Chainer, Dementia Master in the same deck as the first card to tack the Nightmare creature type on to creatures in a decade.

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

edward40hands wrote:

Yesss!  There's a Limited GP in Atlanta...and it's NOT teams!

Shaven_wookie wrote:

Wow, the artwork on this card is amazing.

astralConsultant wrote:

Oh my god I want 4 of this card.

Black is the new black. Theros is the best black set of all time. I am in a state of rapture. 

Taudisban wrote:

Ashiok is the planeswalker UB has wanted forever.

Fenix. wrote:

Wow I love this card.

Oulvine wrote:

The Dimir got a raw deal in Ravnica 2.0, but it looks like their colors and playstyle are finally getting some love!

Templar569 wrote:

This guy might just be fun enough to get me playing competitive Constructed Magic again.

Obstidon wrote:

Only 2 Legacy GPs and only 1 in the US BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

JetAlmighty wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The lack of facial anatomy brings up a lot of questions.... But that's just regarding the art.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" />
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" /> erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I like the +1 and the +x..... But it seems like the +10 is a little too costly for what it does; though that doesn't seem to be the point of this card. I can imagine the decks working to get turn-two Ashiok (with the assistance of a shockland and a mana dork) into a turn-four Jace, Memory Adept. Idealy 1 Archive Trap per turn...

SadisticMystic wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The secret identity is hidden right there in the name: "Ashiok" -> "is Kaho"!

RedPizzaElf wrote:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">How is JVL's card "hard to figure out?" What you need to take advantage of her are cards that proliferate her loyalty counters: erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" target="_blank" title="http://sales.starcitygames.com/spoiler/display.php? data-cke-saved-name=&namematch=EXACT&text=Proliferate&oracle=1&textmatch=AND&flavor=&flavormatch=EXACT&c_all=All&multicolor=&colormatch=OR&t_all=All&z%5B%5D=&critter%5B%5D=&crittermatch=OR&ccl=0&ccu=99&pwrop=%3D&pwr=&pwrcc=&tghop=%3D&tgh=-&tghcc=-&r_all=All&format=&s_all=All&minavail=0&maxavail=9999&g_all=All&foil=nofoil&for=no&sort1=4&sort2=1&sort3=10&sort4=0&display=1&numpage=25&action=Show+Results name=&namematch=EXACT&text=Proliferate&oracle=1&textmatch=AND&flavor=&flavormatch=EXACT&c_all=All&multicolor=&colormatch=OR&t_all=All&z%5B%5D=&critter%5B%5D=&crittermatch=OR&ccl=0&ccu=99&pwrop=%3D&pwr=&pwrcc=&tghop=%3D&tgh=-&tghcc=-&r_all=All&format=&s_all=All&minavail=0&maxavail=9999&g_all=All&foil=nofoil&for=no&sort1=4&sort2=1&sort3=10&sort4=0&display=1&numpage=25&action=Show+Results" rel="nofollow">sales.starcitygames.com/spoiler/display....

Dragon_Bloodthirsty wrote:

Seem overpowered much?  I hope it's not as good as I think it is.  +2 is awfully hard to kill, and it effectively starts at 5, so you can't bolt it dead if your opponent chooses to activate it -- note how there's no immediate use for it other than the + ability.

Yes, it is a house, especially in control match ups.  I'm disappointed at how few of the comments note how nasty "Remove your opponent's hand from the game" is, or how quickly it comes online for that kind of match up.  Forget turn 3 (where your pants are down), but curving from a Wrath into this guy + a 2 mana counter is beastly.

I hope I'm over-estimating a card that has no immediate impact on the game, but I forsee this card being annoying at best and format warping at worst.

Amarsir wrote:

The Ultimate is a bit "win more", as I suppose most ultimates tend to be.  But +2 on an (eventual) win con is pretty good.  She doesn't directly protect herself, but I can easiy see her soaking up 10+ life over several turns as the opponent turns attacks against her and the player deploys other defenses.  10 life, milling, and the potential of a decent free creature, from a UB 3-drop?  Pretty serious.