8/29/2013 PR: "The Less Explored Side of Magic Online"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

leoman wrote:

Neat article. Not a fan of all the post decks. Unflinching Courage is uncommon by the way.

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

AlexaM wrote:

leoman wrote:
Neat article. Not a fan of all the post decks. Unflinching Courage is uncommon by the way.

Is anyone a fan of the Post decks? I think people just play them because they win...

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

Fenix. wrote:

I am!

The first Pauper deck I ever made was a red/blue post deck, and I greatly enjoy playing it. Altough to be honest, the only other Papuer deck I own is monogreen infect, which I think is even less fun to play against (from my opponents perspective). Plus I'm a control player at heart, so winning on turn 2 is not as satisfying to me as grinding out long games.

Though I get a lot of groans and bad behavior whenever I play pod... not so much infect. I don't entirely get the hate. It's not a deck that gives the opponent no chance to interaction, it's not overly slow, it's not even the best deck in the fomat in my opinion. I mean, I play a brew with the green and blue gatekeepers, Ghostly Flicker and Archeomancer in the Standard Pauper format, and THAT is an oppressive and unfun deck. I don't think post decks are.

AlexaM wrote:

Fenix. wrote:
I am!

The first Pauper deck I ever made was a red/blue post deck, and I greatly enjoy playing it. Altough to be honest, the only other Papuer deck I own is monogreen infect, which I think is even less fun to play against (from my opponents perspective). Plus I'm a control player at heart, so winning on turn 2 is not as satisfying to me as grinding out long games.

Though I get a lot of groans and bad behavior whenever I play pod... not so much infect. I don't entirely get the hate. It's not a deck that gives the opponent no chance to interaction, it's not overly slow, it's not even the best deck in the fomat in my opinion. I mean, I play a brew with the green and blue gatekeepers, Ghostly Flicker and Archeomancer in the Standard Pauper format, and THAT is an oppressive and unfun deck. I don't think post decks are.

I mind Post because it isn't very interactive -- you have to kill the Posts or kill the player within a certain amount of time or you won't be able to do anything, especially with the mono-blue version. It's literally designed to lock you out. And it does so by very long loops that are very annoying to wait through.

I don't mind disruption or permission -- I'd be a hypocrite if those things upset me, given that my favorite thing to play is MBC and similar. But I do mind the endless looping stuff. It's just plain unfun. You can scoop when you know they've set it up, but not when they're setting it up.

xger wrote:

AlexaM wrote:
I mind Post because it isn't very interactive -- you have to kill the Posts or kill the player within a certain amount of time or you won't be able to do anything, especially with the mono-blue version. It's literally designed to lock you out. And it does so by very long loops that are very annoying to wait through.

I don't mind disruption or permission -- I'd be a hypocrite if those things upset me, given that my favorite thing to play is MBC and similar. But I do mind the endless looping stuff. It's just plain unfun. You can scoop when you know they've set it up, but not when they're setting it up.

Scooping isn't the best choice. I've won a fair number of Pauper matches because my opponent couldn't continually do the combo and then find time to win over 2-3. If they want to play a deck that annoyingly boring, make them play it fast enough to win.

AlexaM wrote:

xger wrote:
AlexaM wrote:

Scooping isn't the best choice. I've won a fair number of Pauper matches because my opponent couldn't continually do the combo and then find time to win over 2-3. If they want to play a deck that annoyingly boring, make them play it fast enough to win.

Yeah, which is why I don't usually scoop :-) But it only makes the whole thing all the more annoying -- I want to play Magic, not stare at a clock.

Matt_Holck wrote:

I've met enough people to play side games between rounds

AlexaM wrote:

Not sure how that comment is on point. I'm saying relying on my opponent's clock running out to win a match is something I'm Spikish enough to do, sure... but that I still find less than fun.

ETA: Infect used to be very annoying to me back when they had Invigorate... but I never minded it too much because at least it was over quickly.

I still love the format and I'm not saying "KSDJ NSDIFJDASKLJFD DSKLAJFD BAN POST SKLAJLSDFJ." But, well, yes, I do think playing against it is highly irritating (and I was surprised to see Temporal Fissure not get banned when other storm cards did. It's different in that it doesn't win by itself, so I see the logic, but I was surprised.)

Matt_Holck wrote:

an argument for a long clock

having time between matches

I've met enough people to play side games between rounds

always block infect creatures

Lock down doesn't bother the kitchen table if my opponent has a chance to win

I'm often at 5 life before capre tabula

I hate draft lava axe.

I'll post Giant Land Destruct next sunday

AlexaM wrote:

always block infect creatures

Or just use edicts :-)

My point wasn't that Infect was unbeatable pre-ban, it was that I found losing to it less annoying than losing to Post.

Fenix. wrote:

Well, I don't run Temporal Fissure. At some point I had Capsize, but even that turned out to be too slow so now I have 2 copies of Ulamog's Crusher and Rolling Thunder as my win conditions (plus the odd game where a bunch of Mulldrifters go the distance.

grayspace wrote:

How popular is Legacy? Is it fairly easy to get games going? Or is the Standard format still the overwhelming favorite?