8/23/2013 Feature: "You Make the Card 4: Name Bracket"

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "You Make the Card 4: Name Bracket", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Yay, Waste Not was allowed after all! :D
I truly hope that Waste Not isn't the name though. That name really needs to be saved for future editions of split cards because it pairs with Want Not.

Waste Not / Want Not

Here's hoping Waste Not doesn't make it through.  Don't get me wrong I love the name, but it doesn't really fit this card because your opponent is still "wasting" something: whatever they discard still goes to the graveyard, you're just getting a little perk because they lost something.  If Blood in the Watering Can had made it through the vote, though, then "Waste Not" would be a fantastic name.  Personally, I'm really liking "Carpe Noctem."
I voted for "Spoils of Misery". It helps that the name I submitted was "Trophies of Anguish" (looks like I wasn't the only one who thought that conceit fit best).

Yes, I know, there's four pairings. But that's the one I want to see go through the most.
Did anybody else not have a redemption code pop up?

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/19558375/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

I voted for Spoils of Misery for the first set.  Skullduggery doesn't really match what the card is doing.

Voted Waste Not for the second pair.  Had no idea what Carpe Noctem meant.  Yes, I did look it up but I still prefer a card name whose meaning is immediately apparent (I know that there have been cards with names whose meanings aren't immediately apparent.  That doesn't mean I have to support such a naming scheme.).  Plus I believe that Waste Not is a reasonable name.  Yes, the opponent is losing resources.  But you are essentially utilizing those resources so the resource isn't totally wasted.

I didn't like either option for the third set.  Neither seem like a name I would want on a Magic card.  I chose Drudge Rummage as it seems closer to the effect of the card.

For the forth set I voted Necroharvest.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
"We hired a contractor named Matt Knicl, an expert on names and flavor text, to make the first pass through the 4,245 names that were submitted."

And this expert chose Skullduggery, Carpe Noctem and Drudge Rummage? The others are somewhat more reasonable, but I doubt you guys hired an expert. I suppose my "Wicked Transitions" is associated with Vile Plunder, so I should probably vote for that with bias... and my other votes go to Spoils of Misery, Waste Not, and Riches from Rags.
Well, I didn't make the top 8.  But I enjoyed coming up with the name, as it was a fun exercise in creating flavor that matched both the card's art and abilities.  I figured I'd may as well post it, along with the explanation of the name which they asked for:

Glean the Mindspoils

The ragged man sought out his prey: the paranoid, the shattered minds.
Their far-flung thoughts before him lay; he culled these from amongst his finds.
And with a ghastly rite and dirge, he bid their nightmares live again.
But at such cost! His own mind purged, to match the thoughts of the insane!

this crap is still going on ?
Why is this being stretched out into a series of votes?  We need head-to-head competition of the different names?  That seems so.... wrong.

Here's my take on the names:

1. Carpe Noctem - Don't like the latin name.

2. Drudge Rummage - Too cutsey sounding.

3. Necroharvest - Meh.

4. Riches from Rags - This is okay, but also a little too cute.

5. Skullduggery - Not bad.  Definitely in the top half of the choices.

6. Spoils of Misery - Not feeling it.

7. Vile Plunder - Kinda like it.

8. Waste Not - Pretty good.

If I had to pick a winner right now, it would be Vile Plunder.  Since we're doing this silly elimination rounds thing, we'll see how it plays out.

MAN there are some stinkers on that top 8 list!
Drudge Rummage?  That one just rolls right of the tongue, doesn't it!
Riches from Rags? He's a Ragman! He is not getting rich through this endeavor!
SKULLDUGGERY! Cute. But not let's not make a joke-flavored card.

What happened to Salvaging Rites... or Scavenging Rites?  

I understand that Grisly Salvage, Scavenging Ooze, and Unburial Rites, all combine to make these words heavily used in Magic's recent history.  But the play on words between 'rights' and 'rites', combined with the creative adoption of 'salvage rights' from maritime law, make these options CONSIDERABLY more suitable than half of the top 8 names that Wizards of the Coast gave us to choose from.

Surely we could have done better than this
COME ON GUYS! LET's DEMAND A NEW LIST OF 8 TO CHOOSE FROM!
i like both Carpe Noctem and Riches from Rags, but the rest... not so much
These are all pretty bad. I think what You Make the Card has taught us is that we shouldn't be making the cards.
I would like to see the card printed as Waste Not, with another enchantment in the set called Want Not.  I imagine a Johnny White Enchantment that replaces your card draws with removing the card you would draw from the game, then getting an effect based on what the card was, though such a card may end up being wordy.
These are all pretty bad. I think what You Make the Card has taught us is that we shouldn't be making the cards.

R&D members reaction upon reading this comment: "mission accomplished"

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Oh man...these stink!

Drudge Rummage- "Hey guys, this one sorta rhymes!!" I mean, this name doesn't even make any sense.

Riches From Rags- As the other guy said, this dude is a rag man. He isn't getting rich. Again, makes no sense, except as a goofy play on words.

Necroharvest- Oooo, it's totally metal and has that kick-butt flavor that the 16 and under crowd are sure to love!

Skullduggery- Again, a word that totally doesn't make any sense. How is anything anywhere near this card involving trickery of any sort? It's like someone just picked a word that sounded fun and had "skull" in it somewhere.

Vile Plunder- He's not really "plundering" anything. The word "plunder" implies taking by force or taking wrongfully. He's not stealing or strong-arming anyone, he's sifting through a trash pile for things that only he can use. For about the 10th time now, we have words in a card name that either aren't the right shade of meaning or just plain don't make any sense.

Waste Not seems like the only card name here that isn't utter dreck. If this is the best we can do in regards to names and mechanics then maybe "you make the card" should just retire.
I'm specifically voting for bad names as befit the card.

"Carpe Noctem", "Skullduggery", and maybe "Riches from Rags" deserve better cards. 

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I honestly think it's the selection team that's at fault this time around. Judging by the "cute" and "joke" names that made it to the top 8, I can only feel like they didn't take this seriously, even if they did. Perhaps the mood at work was too lighthearted for a Black enchantment?
> Carpe Noctem - Don't like the latin name.

but "sans" is 3 characters shorter than "without"

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

Lestat the Musical: I want more
Yeah, sorry, most of these selections are not appealing.  I get that putting my own submission out there isn't very convincing but I honestly feel it's better than at least four of those names.

Primeval Titan
Primeval Bounty

Grave Titan
Grave Rewards

I liked my friend's proposal, "Grim Reapings". It's a bit cutesy, but I like that in a name.

My proposal was "Lost Opportunities". I guess it can be seen as a dig at the card, but really I was going for the theme with Forgotten Ancient and Vanish into Memory.
> Carpe Noctem - Don't like the latin name.

but "sans" is 3 characters shorter than "without"

I don't get the dislike for "Carpe Noctem" either.  It's got class and style (something this card desperately needs), it sounds magical (would Ad Nauseum be as interesting if it were named "Repeat over and over and over"?), and it's perfectly comprehensible for anyone who's ever heard/read "carpe diem" aka "seize the day" aka "YOLO," which are all fairly common.  Aaaaand now I need to go take a shower for using "YOLO" as part of a serious discussion.
I don't get the dislike for "Carpe Noctem" either.  It's got class and style (something this card desperately needs), it sounds magical (would Ad Nauseum be as interesting if it were named "Repeat over and over and over"?), and it's perfectly comprehensible for anyone who's ever heard/read "carpe diem" aka "seize the day" aka "YOLO," which are all fairly common.  Aaaaand now I need to go take a shower for using "YOLO" as part of a serious discussion.

"Seize the Night" feels more of a fit to a Tribal Vampire spell.
While searching the meaning of Carpe Noctem I found "Carpe Omnious" = "Seize it All" - now THAT would've made more sense.
I like Carpe Noctem and especially Skullduggery.

My own suggestion was Witching Plunder, so I'm pleased Vile Plunder has got on there. But I think the other two names are better.

I don't envy the guy who had to sort through thousands of variations on Miserable/Vile/Drudge/Dark/Diabolic/etc paired with Plunder/Rummage/Spoils/Harvest/Treasures/etc.

formula5 wrote:

I voted lands

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."