8/23/2013 Feature: "GenCon: A Magical Four Days"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "GenCon: A Magical Four Days", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
The article was fine, but I was hoping for something a bit more in depth for the actual top 8 draft. A video would have been awesome. I would have liked to have seen what was opened and the order they picked the packs as well as deck lists of their limited pools. Oh well, I mean its not like this was the only 20th anniversary special tourney that they did.
Hey Nate, I was one of your opponents in the M14 Sealed on Thursday. Sorry to hear you didn't do as well as you'd hoped. GenCon was definitely a great time. Being used to seeing mostly ptq grinders or, at least, competitively minded players, it was exciting to see how many attendees were either new or strictly kitchen table. I could wish the prize support from Pasttimes had been better (six packs for top 8 in a 200+ person event was pretty crappy) but the variety of events was great and they were run pretty well considering the difficulties of the venue.

Definitely enjoyed the non-tournament Magic stuff as well. Got some cards signed by Steve Argyle and April Lee (need to remember to bring an Aluren for her next time, she also told me about a guy who came up to her with a 200+ collection of Lotus Petals), talked to the Magic Pros at Stone Blade and Arcane Tinmen (they make Ascension and The Spoils, respectively), and managed to get a great deal on a Commander's Arsenal (from Wizard's Wagon, who have a store in St Louis, go check them out!). My first GenCon was pretty awesome and I'm already looking forward to next year.
I'm shocked you didn't mention one of the most exciting things about the draft.
The Zendikar pack contained a "Buried Treasure" - Underground Sea. 
I heard that wizards was non existant at GenCon this year except for 1 dealer that ran all the tournaments.  Seems very sad considering thats where Magic got it's start 20 years ago....
As I was reading the article I was wondering if drafting core sets might be a good strategy for this final "draft".  They don't have any/many parasitic or linear mechanics in them and they are meant to have the most generically modular cards which seems like a good thing to have when you are drafting from 20 different sets.

I'm glad to see Koepke proved my idea a valid one.  Although I admit I didn't think of taking the modern masters pack, but that seems like a good idea seeing as it's overall power level is higher than pretty much any other set out there (barring maybe urza's...).

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I wish they had talked about the deck Koepke used to beat Zack Wolff. I used to play Zack on a regular basis and I know he's very good. All he does is draft and play stack. Lol. I have a suspicion that he had a really bad draw in one of the games he lost that final match.
Um...Tome Scour is a Sorcery.  Elite Arcanist only works with Instants.
Awesome stuff!

I wonder if you can stil buy "legitimate" beta/unlimited boosters since you can actually "see" the rare without opening the booster.

2Cb   
In other news, Menges shows off what the art for Black Night should have been, instead of the goofy anime-ish, sword-bigger-than-my-body, goofball art it had in M2010 and M2011.
I'm shocked you didn't mention one of the most exciting things about the draft.
The Zendikar pack contained a "Buried Treasure" - Underground Sea. 

I thought they werent allowed to confirm the the Treasures existed...?

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
It reminds me when I played the 10th anniversary event in Berlin, sealed deck with revised and missed the top8 draft because of being manascrewed...good old times when Worlds were publicly available, not only reserved to competitors...
If I have one wish, this is that side events for worlds happen again!
I love the concept behind this 20th anniversary super-draft, but I'm still not entirely clear on how it worked. Can someone break it down for me?

80 packs and 8 players means 10 packs per player. So the first thing they did was "draft" the 8 must-be-Rochestered packs (i.e., they took turns picking one of those packs), then they "drafted" the remaining 72 packs (picked their packs), right?

Then did they Rochester one booster at a time? And, with the remaining 72 packs, could each player choose the order of his packs?

Did they try to do anything special with the 12- and 8-card packs so everyone ended up with the same number of cards?

Because of the special nature of this draft, was the Underground Sea in the Zendikar pack declared tournament-legal, and was it first-picked?

Were all three Kamigawa sets in the bottom 5 or 6 packs picked (mixed in with HL, FE, and maybe Chronicles)?
First, they Rochester drafted the contents of the oldest packs. Then they drafted the remaining packs intact.  After the Rochester portion finished, Devin Koepke first-picked the Modern Masters pack, and all the cards in that pack went into his pool.
Thanks. That's truly weird! So it's more like "draft-plus-choose-your-own-sealed-deck".

Is the "sixty-card decks" part a typo? The picture of Zack Wolff's deck shows 24 non-land cards. Even with three 6-drops and a 7-drop, running 36 lands with no landfall and no card draw is nuts. Even when we just mashed cards together back in '94, running more than 26 lands was very unusual.