8/20/2013 RC: "Sliving the Good Life"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
How would you not play four Thorncasters? In a dedicated Sliver deck it seems better than Hellrider, right?
Well, it needs another guy to get Haste, but it really doesn't even need to attack himself.

Again, it shows that none of the choices have been tested and everything is just done on gut feeling...
Seems bad.
What do you think of sideboarding Syphon Sliver?  Like Galerider, it would rely on Cavern and Manaweft to be played, but the lifelink could be a game changer against fast burn decks.
Not a fan of the M14 Slivers, personally. As this deck demonstrates very well it's all about power and interesting abilities don't make the cut. Even in Limited the archetype is oddly unsatisfying as you find yourself holding your breath and praying the opponent doesn't have spot removal on the critical turn.

I love Qoarl's Gutterstorm deck, though. I looked at it in puzzlement for a moment, thinking "Why on earth would a deck with no expensive cards want Possibility Storm?!". Then I got it. Very cool!
"if you ever get your Sliver engine (or, as I like to say, your "Slivngine") rolling it's going to be difficult for any opponent without a board sweeper to overcome"

Which is why you have Boros Charm and/or Rootborn Defenses maindeck.  Mass removal is a sliver deck's main weakness and not having a defense against it maindeck is a rather poor decision.  Also, while 4 damage may not seem like a lot but I have seen it be useful.  I have been able to weaken or kill planeswalkers with Boros Charm and I have used Boros Charm to end games.  Only the double strike portion isn't useful.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
How would you not play four Thorncasters? In a dedicated Sliver deck it seems better than Hellrider, right?
Well, it needs another guy to get Haste, but it really doesn't even need to attack himself.

Again, it shows that none of the choices have been tested and everything is just done on gut feeling...
Seems bad.

I reckon the card is too expensive in mana... i think he wants to build an army of slivers quicker than a 5 mana creature would allow... But i know what you mean, it is a powerful card!
What do you think of sideboarding Syphon Sliver?  Like Galerider, it would rely on Cavern and Manaweft to be played, but the lifelink could be a game changer against fast burn decks.

i love the syphon sliver and i reckon it should be in the main deck... if not that then maybe stick in a couple of vault of the archangels to get the lifelink? (and the deathtouch would be a bonus!)...

expensive to play but with a couple of manaweft slivers i reckon it could be dealt with easily enough. 
"It's also worth noting that curving Manaweft Sliver into Hive Stirrings is very strong, leaving you with six mana producers by the end of your third turn! That's a play to look out for."

Uhhh...am I missing something, or does this require that you draw three of your four real one-drops, making it less of "a play to look out for" than "a cool thing that if it happens, it happens"?

Turn 1: Land, Striking Sliver (+1 sliver)
Turn 2: Land, Manaweft Sliver (+1 sliver; 2 slivers total)
Turn 3: Land (access to 5 mana now--3 land and 2 slivers), Striking Sliver (+1 sliver), Striking Sliver (+1 sliver), Hive Stirrings (+2 slivers; 6 slivers total)

I don't see any other way to get to 6 slivers by the end of turn 3 (Galerider Sliver aside), but I could be being stupid.
I don't see any other way to get to 6 slivers by the end of turn 3 (Galerider Sliver aside), but I could be being stupid.

Either that or... lands produce mana!

Turn 3: Land (access to 5 mana now--3 land and 2 slivers), (+2 slivers; 6 slivers total)

This ends you with 3 land and 6 slivers, or NINE mana producers at the end of turn 3.
Oh, I guess there was a terminology difference; I was thinking of "producers" being an animate noun, for some reason, and thus referring only to creatures.
Thorncaster Sliver's ability stacks, right? That seems pretty good. You can do it to planeswalkers and you don't even have to worry about combat and your stuff gets through unblocked
Thorncaster Sliver's ability stacks, right? That seems pretty good. You can do it to planeswalkers and you don't even have to worry about combat and your stuff gets through unblocked

Yes, it stacks.  So in theory, with 4 Thorncasters on the field, every attacking sliver gets to deal a total of 4 damage directly.