8/16/13 - Feature: Hereos vs. Monsters

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "Heroes vs. Monsters", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Thread is misspelled "Hereos," should be "Heroes" -- unless it's a portmanteau of "Hero Oreos," in which case carry on!
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Fires of Yavimaya is a bad idea.  How many times will people be attacked on turn 3 by a hasty Polukranos, World Eater and a hasty 8/8 trampling Kalonian Hydra on turn 4?  X=2 Monstrous turn 5, attack with both....that's 9/9 and a 16/16 trample.  Didn't we get tired of this scenario with Fires of Yavimaya last time?
Fires of Yavimaya is a bad idea.  How many times will people be attacked on turn 3 by a hasty Polukranos, World Eater and a hasty 8/8 trampling Kalonian Hydra on turn 4?

I... don't think that's a Theros card.
Sounds like a pretty good deal,  looking forward to - or at least hoping for - some nice new art for Regrowth and Winds of Rath

Also, Satyr Hedonist and Destructive Reality look really solid, can't wait for Theros.
Kinda digging the Sun Titan's new art. Also, here's hoping there's enough for a satyr deck.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
Ack! Do we really need Nivix Cyclops and Anax and Cymede in the same Standard Block? That is going to get pretty outragous, even without Artful Dodge in the mix.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Weiry enough, the card I'm most excited for is the Cavalry Pegasus - that "lowly common" is going to fit right in my Human tribal deck.
How has nobody mentioned how incredible that new art for Beast Within is yet? It's ridiculawesome!

I'm also really looking forward to the debut of Crater Hellion in a post-8th frame.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

"Akros's greatest heroes are also its royalty."

That's pretty bad flavor text.  If this set also features "awesome" names like Battleflight Eagle, it might start feeling like an episode of Axe Cop.

Theros flavor aside, these are interesting looking decklists.  I like the mix of old and new, and a little bit of aura vs counter synergy isn't a bad idea.  But my instinct really feels like "Monsters" is stronger, and there are certain things like Gustcloak Sentinel whose inclusion really doesn't make sense to me.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I like the hero mechanic and I like how it indirectly buffs enchantments!

I don't like the new Fires of Yavimaya art, the old one looks way better in my opinion.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Regrowth and Miraculous Recovery in new frames makes me super-happy. Figure of Destiny is just gravy.

Liking the look of this DD, not too much dross and plenty to scavenge for Commander decks. That Pegasus is going straight into my Odric-Humans deck.
"Waaah there's a few cards I don't like in the latest set! This game sucks now! Everything should just always stay the same because I'm threatened by change! I'm going to quit! I'm quitting! SOMEONE PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEE" - approximately 10% of MtG players on all forums, ever. Read my thoughts, feed my ego! - www.tzaphiel.wordpress.com I'm also a writer! Search for "Gareth Topping" on Amazon!
Trample seems very strange for the red-white Anax and Cymede.
Hmm, Regrowth - must be in Duel Decks only since Sam Stoddard recently deemed it "too powerful to print in a Standard-legal set".
Another auto-purchase. I love having these shuffle-and-go products ready for when the mood strikes. You guys could probably bump this to a 3-4 times a year product and I'd still buy. 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

"Akros's greatest heroes are also its royalty."

That's pretty bad flavor text.  If this set also features "awesome" names like Battleflight Eagle, it might start feeling like an episode of Axe Cop.

Oh man, thanks exposing me to Axe Cop. It is amazing.
Heh.  Playset of Anax and Cymede selling on ebay for $25.69 already.  That was fast.

Agree on the auto-buy comment.  Wizards, you could DD every set instead of every block and probably do just fine.
Trample seems very strange for the red-white Anax and Cymede.

Red gets trample occasionally.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

I really like the idea of these decks but I would like to stay completely in the Theros set. Does anybody know if someone already has tried to rebuild these that way?