8/19/2013 Draft Simulator

30 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for this week's Draft Simulator on magicthegathering.com.

Pick 4 scavenging ooze felt a bit weird to me being used to drafting at fnm's where they are first pick even if its not in your colours

This seemed like a really easy draft decision-wise.  The only tough calls were Dark Prophecy vs. Corpse Hauler and Deathgaze Cockatrice vs Maurading Maulhorn.  I do wish I'd taken corrupt over air servant p1p2, but it wouldn't have been the right pick at the time.  

Draft:

Deck:  

The deck is pretty amazing.  Though I think two sacrifice outlets (one being an artifact) and a tutor are probably sufficient, a Blood Bairn over Ogre Battledriver might have been the better pick (even though Ogre Battledriveris amazing with two Molten Birth's.

I actually considered playing the Shimmering Grottos and Quicken.  That would have been insane with the act of treasons and, and several of the other sorceries.  Ultimately I'm just not sure it's necessary and the mana requirements are already pretty rough. 

Edit:  It seems that if I had taken the corrupt over the air servant I would have ended up with a p2p4 scavenging ooze.  That might have made the grottos and quicken worth it! 

R/B/w  bombtastic.  Unfortunately, a little creature light.  Oh well.

Round 1:
Shadowborn Demon
Banisher Priest
Deadly Recluse
Dark Prophecy
Tenacious Dead
Indestructibility
Undead Minotaur
Fortify
Accorder's Shield
Lava Axe
Artificer's Hex
Shimmering Grotto
Festering Newt
Tome Scour
Island

Round 2:
Shivan Dragon
Mark of the Vampire
Undead Minotaur
Shock
Molten Birth
Solemn Offering
Accorder's Shield
Molten Birth
Dragon Egg
Vial of Poison
Strionic Resonator
Artificer's Hex
Verdant Haven
Vile Rebirth
Mountain

Round 3:
Fireshrieker
Deathgaze Cockatrice
Ogre Battledriver I wanted the
Act of Treason
Minotaur Abomination
Liturgy of Blood
Dragon Hatchling
Lightning Talons
Academy Raider
Shimmering Grotto
Dark Favor
Wring Flesh
Duress
Gladecover Scout
Swamp

Creatures (15)

Non-Creatures (7)
[deck]
1x Vial of Poison
1x Fireshrieker
1x Solemn Offering
1x Dark Prophecy
1x Indestructibility
1x Mark of the Vampire
1x Liturgy of Blood
[/deck]

Lands (18)
[deck]
2x Plains
2x Shimmering Grotto
6x Mountain
8x Swamp
[/deck]

Creatures-15
1-2
2-1
3-6
4-2
5-2 (Banisher Priest may cost 3 but at 2x white weight 5 is the more appropriate tempo postion)
6-2

Non-Creatures-7
1-1
2-0
3-3
4-2
5-1
6-0

Total-22
1-3
2-1
3-9
4-4
5-3
6-2

Curve is decent, color weight is a bit scary, but the grottos should hopefullly help there (yes I realize they raise the effective casting cost, that's why I'm playing 18 lands).  How many bombs do I have? Battledriver + Demon + Dragon +shrieker = AWESOME (aka 4, plus indestructibility to back them up).  dark prophecy and academy raider should help me find what I need.  solemn offering is main deck in this format (far too many good artifacts/enchantments running around).

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Round 1:

Shadowborn DemonThere really is no competition here. Even with a drawback, its still +1/+2 than even the best other Flying bombs in the format at that cost. What's more, even though it has a drawback, it also doubles as removal. Though picking Litgury of Blood over Quag Sickness could be a little sketchy, playing it with a big upside certainly isn't.

Corrupt - Mono-black is not a  good archetype to be in. So the question is 'is a 4 damage and 4 life removal spell worth picking over Air Servant'? Usually the answer would be no, but we already have a black bomb. Its best to cut it, and it isn't so much worse than Air Servant that it's a bad pick.

Gnawing Zombie - Thankfully the only good picks here are black, or not good enough to sway us from the course. I love Mind Rot, but we do need some creatures to gum up the ground, and Gnawing Zombie is one of if not the best black two drop to do so.

Dark Prophecy - We are NOT going to be mono-black. We are, however, going to be very HEAVY black. What this means is its less of a choice between Corpse Hauler and Dark Prophecy so much as between Corpse Hauler and a Dark Prophecy that costs between 5 and 6. It is still better than the alternative at that cost though, even by a smidgen, and so is the pick.

Child of Night - Young Pyromancer this late is likely a signal, but at this stage whatever color we're going into is going to be a splash. The things to splash for are removal and bombs, not minor value. As such Child of Night seems a safer pick.

Act of Treason - Act of Treason this late changes things. The last pick was still correct, but with two sacrifice outlets already, a Dark Prophecy and an act it is time to stop waffling about and focus strong and hard on R/B Sacrifice.

Undead Minotaur - A trick is nice, but a decent body is probably better so far.

Duress - Both of the picks here are sideboard material. I think we'd have a little more trouble with spells than lots of weak creatures, so Duress it is.

Smelt - We're not going to play Striking Sliver, so a sideboard card is ideal.

Minotaur Abomination - We can go for a big butted finisher, or a straight 5 to the face. The problem is we already HAVE a spell like that that also doubles as removal in the form of Corrupt, and only one straight up finisher. So the abomination seems ideal here.

Artificer's Hex - Sideboard. Likely never to be used sideboard, but sideboard.

Armored Cancrix - Oddly this is a decent hate. 5 is the magic number that can stop our abomination from swinging.

Festering Newt - Festering Newt is much better in the Sacrifice deck than any other, so it will be great in ours.

Indestructibility - Free rare.

Island - We have a great start to a very heavy black deck. The only leanings we have to a Sacrifice deck is Act of Treason, which is more than good enough to make us somewhat force it. If we open a bomb in any other color in the next pack though, it's worth abandoning red to go for it.

Round 2:

Shivan Dragon - This pack is NUTS. Shivan Dragon, TWO Maruading Maulhorns AND Claustrophobia? Though I was prepared to drop red if we got a good enough bomb, the fact the bomb is red makes our deck that much better. If we can pick up two more Act of Treasons and perhaps a saccer or two our deck will be all but unstoppable. The only problem is that Act of Treason and Shadowborn Demon is a bit of a non-bo, so it doesn't count as a saccer.

Mark of the Vampire - Plenty of good cards, but none fit in our deck. We will never have enough enchantments for Blightcaster, we will not be aggressive enough to use Goblin Shortcutter, and we have enough finishers that Mark of the Vampire upgrading a lesser creature isn't strictly speaking necessary. Normally Goblin Shortcutter would be the pick due to it being a two drop, but we probably won't be running enough red to reliably drop it on turn two. As such, Mark of Vampire wins through raw power.

Undead Minotaur - We need more bears, but a bear with +0/+1 and an extra 1 in its cost will do for now. It gums up the ground fairly well for our Flyers to do the job, and you don't feel bad sacrificing it to our demon.

Shock - Holy CRAP that is a late Scavenging Ooze! Okay, so we have Shivan Dragon and Act of Trason vs Scavenging Ooze. ...red wins by an incredibly small margin. VERY small. That being the case, removal seems the pick.

Child of Night - Having a six drop with double red is a stretch, so having even a good three cast spell with double red in the form of Molten Rebirth is pushing it way too far. That being the case, Child is a nice bear.

Bubbling Cauldron - YES! This is the perfect card if we get a few more Festering Newts and/or Act of Treasons. Mark is probably the pick here if we weren't somewhat forcing, but the archetype is strong enough its WORTH forcing for. What's more we have one newt already.

Duress - Sideboard. Would it have been worth switching to Green? Since we're mostly splashing our secondary color likely not, but it is a possibility.

Molten Birth - Though I said it was a stretch on our mana before, and it still is. But its possible we'll end up much heavier red in pack three. If we do, this could be reasonable.

Dragon Egg - As cute as Shadowborn Apostle is, Dragons Egg actually goes well with our sacrifice theme. What's more its two creatures to keep our demon in play.

Mind Rot - We don't need the axe with our high quality finishers, and I do love a good bizzaro Divination.

Cyclops Tyrant - It could be worthwhile siding minotaur abomination out for this in some matchups. The only one that comes to mind is a heavy Deathtouch deck.

Academy Raider - This is a really good card, or at least a passable one. Though green was open this pack, it seems red was too and just had lower quality cards this time around to pick from.

Molten Birth - It is actually worth weakening our Corrupt in order to play TWO Molten Births. No longer can we use 'we're not that heavy red' to guide our picks.

Vile Rebirth - Hey, we can side this in vs that ooze we passed!

Mountain - We have a  firm plan for pack three - acts and newts. We are picking those over pretty much everything else, so lets get to it!

Round 3:

Sengir Vampire - Surprise, surprise, ANOTHER finisher. Fireshrieker is tempting with two Childs and a Mark, but Sengir Vampire is one of the format defining uncommon bombs.

Nightmare - Remember when I said it was worth distorting our mana base in order to play two Molten Births? It is more worth doing so to play one Nightmare. We are low on removal, but we have so many bombs it doesn't even matter. I love that kind of deck.

Volcanic Geyser - ...crap. Well Nightmare will usually come down as a 4/4 and grow even if we split the black and red in blacks favor without going too heavy swamps. Anyway, though Ogre Battledriver is nice we don't need more bombs, especially ones that don't win the game by themselves. That said its between Outrage and Geyser, and Geyser is better in our deck.

Act of Treason - We need a few more sacrifice outlets, and Gnawing Zombie would help with that. However, I meant it when I said we'd be taking Acts over pretty much everything. Hopefully the Blood Bairn from last pack wheels.

Wring Flesh - Our top end is way too high to take another semi-bomb, and we have Duress in our boards already. So its between a trick and removal, and removal seems like something we need.

Liturgy of Blood - ...speaking of which. Taking little but black seems to have paid off in terms of signaling.

Altar's Reap - It isn't the best sacrifice outlet. In fact its the worst. But we are desperate, and we have two Act of Treasons. We likely will end up not running it though.

Thunder Strike - A trick is better than a niche sideboard card.

Academy Raider - Looters are nice for our demon.

Shadowborn Apostle - If we feel we need another random chump blocker.

Dark Favor - Blood Bairn definitely didn't wheel at this stage, but I didn't expect it to.

Wring Flesh - Ohhh this is actually a really nice late pick!

Duress - Sideboard.

Swamp - As a sacrifice deck we fail. We don't have enough outlets, we only have one newt for our cauldran, and though we have two Act of Treasons odds are we won't be able to follow through on them 100% of the time. However, as a bomb centric B/R control deck with a strong sacrifice sub-theme, we are golden. Was it worth going over to green? In the end, I don't think so, as this allowed us to go heavily black for nightmare and corrupt without losing strong red plays like shivan dragon and volcanic geyser. But I could be wrong.
Some Fun Picks:

Round 1:
Millstone
Air Servant
Elixir of Immortality
Essence Scatter
Divination
Tome Scour
Verdant Haven
Coral Merfolk
Accorder's Shield
Tome Scour
Coral Merfolk
Spell Blast
Duress
Indestructibility
Island

Round 2:
Millstone
Scroll Thief
Archaeomancer
Millstone
Scroll Thief
Messenger Drake
Disperse
Merfolk Spy
Dragon Egg
Traumatize
Strionic Resonator
Coral Merfolk
Molten Birth
Merfolk Spy
Mountain

Round 3:
Essence Scatter
Claustrophobia
Negate
Imposing Sovereign
Rod of Ruin
Armored Cancrix
Staff of the Mind Magus
Quicken
Coral Merfolk
Shimmering Grotto
Smelt
Wring Flesh
Tome Scour
Gladecover Scout
Swamp

Dropped out of MTG about 8 yrs ago. Picked it back up today.  Would really appreciate some commentary on what I drafted. I started out general for pack 1, picking direct damage, the grotto to allow me to add a third color and/or use cards with double color in them. Pack two made going red a no brainer with Shivan.  Continued drafting blue.  Pack 3 considered dropping blue for black bc of Sengir and Nightmare.  Picked up another Grotto bc of the heavy double red and double black, and bc it was likely I was going to have to splash a 3d color. Still considered splashing blue to use tome scour (to use w/Mill Stone) and spell blast. 

Ultimately I went with R/U.  U and Millstone for milling the opponent; R for direct damage and Shivan.  The Nightmare and Sengir wound up being counterdrafts.  I had to splash green bc I needed three more cards to get to 23.  I picked the Recluse bc it's creature removal, and the Scavenging Ooze bc of its pumping ability.

Please keep in mind that this is literally the first attempt at a draft in 8 years. 

Round 1: Millstone Tome Scour Deadly Recluse Shimmering Grotto Lava Axe Indestructibility Verdant Haven Fortify Divine Favor Lava Axe Ranger's Guile Spell Blast Duress Tome Scour Island

Round 2: Shivan Dragon Traumatize Archaeomancer Scavenging Ooze Academy Raider Silence Pillarfield Ox Merfolk Spy Dragon Egg Goblin Shortcutter Cyclops Tyrant Coral Merfolk Angelic Wall Solemn Offering Mountain

Round 3: Sengir Vampire Nightmare Volcanic Geyser Nightwing Shade Diabolic Tutor Fleshpulper Giant Dragon Hatchling Thunder Strike Academy Raider Shimmering Grotto Blood Bairn Groundshaker Sliver Tome Scour Gladecover Scout Swamp

Final deck would be:
Artifacts
1x Millstone   (2) 

Sorcery 
1x Spell Blast (B)(x)
3x Tome Scour (B)
1x Traumatize (B)(B)(3)
2x Lava Axe (R)(5)

Instants 
1x Volcanic Geyser (R)(R)(x)
1x Thunder Strike (R)(1)  

Creatures

1x Merfolk Spy (B)
1x Coral Merfolk (B)(1)
1x Dragon Hatchling (R)(1) 
1x Goblin Shortcutter (R)(1)
1x Scavenging Ooze (G)(1)
1x Deadly Recluse (G)(1)  
2x Academy Raider (R)(2)
1x Dragon Egg (R)(2)
1x Archeomancer (B)(B)(2) 
1x Cyclops Tyrant (R)(5)
1x Shivan (R)(R)(4)
1x Fleshpulper Giant (R)(R)(5)   

Land
2x Shimmering Grotto
7x Mountain
6x Island
3x Forest 

Card Total:  41
Mana Cost:  (1)-5, (2)-9, (3)-2, (4)-1, (5)-2, (6)-3, (7)-1
Cards with Double Mana: 5    

Creatures (14)
3x Gladecover Scout
2x Banisher Priest
Wall of Swords
2x Kalonian Tusker
3x Brindle Boar
Capashen Knight
Imposing Sovereign
Griffin Sentinel
Instants (6)
2x Savage Summoning
2x Ranger's Guile
Congregate
Silence
Sorceries (1)
Solemn Offering
Enchantments (1)
Blessing
Artifacts (2)
2x Vial of Poison
Lands (16)
Shimmering Grotto
7x Forest
8x Plains

I always try to take these things in a crazy direction.  Picking Gladecover Scout as my first card certainly qualifies, but I think the end result is a potentially competitive GW creature deck.  In hindsight, I neglected some major counter-drafting opportunities, but I'm usually perfectly content in just building on my deck synergy instead.  Hopefully this deck would be fast enough to deal with the power we passed up.

Round 1[Spoiler\]
Shadowborn Demon
Corrupt
Gnawing Zombie
Corpse Hauler
Tenacious Dead
Act of Treason
Undead Minotaur
Shrivel
Striking Sliver
Minotaur Abomination
Ranger's Guile
Spell Blast
Festering Newt
Indestructibility
Island
[/Spoiler] 

Round 2[Spoiler\]
Dragon Egg
Mind Rot
Staff of the Death Magus
Scavenging Ooze
Child of Night
Bubbling Cauldron
Duress
Molten Birth
Shadowborn Apostle
Mark of the Vampire
Undead Minotaur
Academy Raider
Molten Birth
Vile Rebirth
Mountain
[/Spoiler] 

Round 3[Spoiler\]
Sengir Vampire
Nightmare
Blood Bairn
Gnawing Zombie
Diabolic Tutor
Liturgy of Blood
Altar's Reap
Vile Rebirth
Undead Minotaur
Shadowborn Apostle
Dark Favor
Vial of Poison
Duress
Gladecover Scout
Swamp
[/Spoiler]

Deck (Black /w Splash Red):
1x Shadowborn Demon (3BB)
1x Corrupt (5B)
2x Gnawing Zombie (1B)
1x Corpse Hauler (1B)
1x Tenacious Dead (B)
3x Undead Minotaur (2B)
1x Minotaur Abomination (4BB)
1x Festering Newt (B)
1x Child of Night (1B)
1x Bubbling Cauldron (2)
1x Sengir Vampire (3BB)
1x Nightmare (5B)
1x Blood Bairn (2B)
1x Liturgy of Blood (3BB)
1x Altar's Reap (1B)
1x Mind Rot (2B)
1x Staff of the Death Magus (1)
1x Act of Treason (2R)
1x Dragon Egg (2R)

13x Swamp
5x Mountain

Sideboard:
2x Duress (B)
1x Dark Favor (1B)
1x Diabolic Tutor (2BB)

Mana Curve:
CC1 3
CC2 6
CC3 7
CC4 0
CC5 3
CC6 2

Missing a 4-drop but still a nice mono black sacrifice theme with splashing AoT and the Egg. Molten Birth wasn't for splashing because the RR mana cost requires more mountains than 5 making corrupt and tenacious dead combos less good. Versus Control decks i'll bring in Duress and Diabolic Tutor.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I went Dimir, but thinking maybe I should have gone Rakdos.

Anyway first pick was pretty easy.

Creatures (13):
Festering Newt
Corpse Hauler
Child of Night x 2
Coral Merfolk x 2
Undead Minotaur
Blood Bairn
Blightcaster
Shadowborn Demon
Sengir Vampire
Nightwing Shade
Air Servant

Spells (9):
Wring Flesh x 2
Essence Scatter
Disperse x 2
Frost Breath
Claustrophobia x 2
Mark of the Vampire

Artifacts (1):
Strionic Resonator

Land (17):
Shimmering Grotto x 2
Swamp x 9
Island x 6

I have recently become a fan of Strionic Resonator.  I didn't get as many trigger abilities as I would like, but being able to double the things like Shadowborn Demon come into play removal, potentially multiple times thanks to Disperse could be really helpful when you need it most.  I would like a little more direct removal, but have to setting for what was there.
Any of the 5 drops will win the game, they all fly and they all have their own form of threat attached.  Plus with the quick hitting of the early creatures and the disruption that is the hallmark of Dimir, this deck should be up early making the 5-drops that much more of a problem.

The double Shimmering Grotto should help curve out a deck that has more need of black than blue, yet still needs double blue.

If this has taught me anything; first pick Shadowborn Demon, then build a deck. :D
Before anyone can help, you gotta deck list your post. Go back and edit your post.
becomes You can also [c.]Forest[/c.] a card, minus the periods. So it reads Forest. Click quote on my post to see how I used that code if you're confused.

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
Winning games/contests http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter
Bogbrew undertheme to U/B deck.  Missing lots of power cards though so relying on either Bogbrew Witch with some protection for her or enough disruption to allow a few 1 and 2 powered threats to control the board while I chip away.

Creatures (16):
Festering Newt x 3
Tenacious Dead
Merfolk Spy
Child of Night
Corpse Hauler x 2
Tidebinder Mage
Seacoast Drake
Scroll Thief
Deathgaze Cockatrice
Bogbrew Witch
Nephalia Seakite
Messenger Drake
Sengir Vampire

Spells (7):
Doom Blade x 2
Dark Favor
Disperse x 2
Dark Prophecy
Cancel

Artifacts (1):
Bubbling Cauldron

Land (17):
Swamp x 10
Island x 7

The deck is running 41 cards, but that is to account for some extra card draw and also to ensure it has enough to do sac/activation and a summon as often as possible.  If it is lucky enough to get a Dark Prophecy in play early it can start having 2-3 draws per turn.  While the creature base is fairly cheap costing, this is not a rush deck (didn't get any Trained Condor), so if it can get in some beats early that is fine, but the only real rush creature left in was Merfolk Spy because blue is so popular, it is likely he will get through when ever it wants him to, and if he comes out out turn 1 and Dark Favor him turn 2, it turns on a really fast clock while the rest of the deck controls the board.

Would have liked a 2nd Bubbling Cauldron, but could put in Elixir of Immortality if you need to find a way to get it back, via Bogbrew Witch activation.  The deck already has 2 Corpse Haulers to help get the Bogbrew Witch back.

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."