8/15/13 - Perilous Research: Modern Vogue

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Wait, so no mention of Sphinx Rev control decks in the entire article, when they've been at least as large a metagame percentage as Pod recently?  Does JVL just not know how the deck works, or is he actually ignorant?  Jeez, I thought we were lucky when he got pushed off BoaB, but this is legitimately worse.  Please can we get this guy fired and bring in someone who knows what they're doing about anything?
Overreaction much?
Wait, so no mention of Sphinx Rev control decks in the entire article, when they've been at least as large a metagame percentage as Pod recently?  Does JVL just not know how the deck works, or is he actually ignorant?  Jeez, I thought we were lucky when he got pushed off BoaB, but this is legitimately worse.  Please can we get this guy fired and bring in someone who knows what they're doing about anything?

That escalated quickly.
No love for Affinity? :sadface:
Modern is a format where a player can become attached to a deck and play it indefinitely. There's nothing stopping you from building one of these decks and playing it for the next three years, learning every line of play and tweaking it as new sets spawn new archetypes.

Indefinitely until a key card or two get banned? I think Mr Van Lunen hasn't been paying attention to what has been going on in the format ever since its inception.
In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!
First thing:"Mirran Crusader forces Jund players to have a Lihtning Bolt" or a Path to Exile or a 4/5 Tarmogoyf (reasonable in a creature matchup - creature, land, instant, sorcery). So, Jund has 12 maindeck answers to a Crusader. The Jund list mentioned doesn't even run Abrupt Decay and I'm fairly sure Terminate is outdated with Path being available on the white splash? I don't want to hop on the troll train that has been established here but this is just poor reporting. JVL should have done better self editing. On a similar subject, Tribal Zoo/Domain Tempo/4cc Good Stuff or whatever it is called hasn't really been doing as well lately as Dredgevine or even Red Deck Wins. Perhaps one of those decks deserves a mention?

Second thing: My personal vote for "Next Card To Get Banned In Modern" is Lingering Souls. If WotC continues to use the banhammer as a way to shake up the format like with the Bloodbraid banning, it would make sense to remove the card that basically says screw creature based aggro. Although that might make Delver decks too good.

Third Thing: Can we please just errata all Hexproof to be shorud? I know that with the new RWu Control and the constant presence of Jund + Lili it'll never gain a foothold, but goddam is it ever annoying. I feel like it perfectly encapsulates everything trollish control players say about aggro being a kid deck. If R&D wanted to make Enchantments good, they probably should have just made more Rancor effects.
First thing:"Mirran Crusader forces Jund players to have a Lihtning Bolt" or a Path to Exile or a 4/5 Tarmogoyf (reasonable in a creature matchup - creature, land, instant, sorcery).

Tarmogoyf is not an answer to Mirran Crusader.
"Kahleya's Take the Plunge" looks pretty cool and I'll probably put it together to try out. 

But, one change: it's insane to play Rite of Consumption over Essence Harvest. The latter only costs one more mana, and doesn't require you to sac a creature.  
Sign In to post comments