8/15/2013 CT: "One isn't the Loneliest Number"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Command Tower, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I don't care much about Commander, but that was an excellent read nevertheless.
I couldn't disagree more with the philosophy presented by this article. In mono colored commander decks, you need to be even MORE focused on what the deck wants to do, not less. So by adding a bunch of cards meant to patch its weaknesses, you're building to not lose rather than building to win. While your opponents' decks are focused on a strategy, yours is trying to come up with answers to them instead of having a strategy of its own. This will put you on defense from the beginning and make it hard to come back if your answers aren't good enough.
Just to clarify... I'm only referring to the people who actually submitted this philosophy. I know there were other philosophies in there too.

And does Blind Obedience belong in this article? Did they change the rules about color identity? The commander would have to be black also because of the extort cost.
Rules text doesn`t count.
Rules text counts, but reminder text doesn't. There was a big debate about this when Gatecrash came out, and the conclusion was that reminder text is ignored for purposes of colour identity, so Blind Obedience is fine in a monowhite Commander deck.
I don't really see the difference between rules text and reminder text. All they're really doing is putting the rules text in parentheses and calling it reminder text. But it's the same thing. Especially when they have it on every card with the keyword in question. They should leave the reminder text off of rares and mythic rares to makes sense out of calling it something other than rules text. Eh... sorry, didn't mean to go off on such a tangent.
Reminder text is restating rules that are already explained elsewhere, namely the comprehensive rulebook. Rules text is only explained in one place - on the card it is written on. They are completely different things.
Not really
Reminder text is restating rules that are already explained elsewhere, namely the comprehensive rulebook. Rules text is only explained in one place - on the card it is written on. They are completely different things.

Not really

You're both right, if you have to split hairs. Rules text explains rules. Reminder text REMINDS about rules. They are both technically the same for people who can't get their heads out their ......... but they are also different. smh
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Not really

Think of the difference between a card like Trinisphere and a spell with a keyword ability. Rules text typically tries to clarify an ability that's explained on a card. Reminder text will actually state what an ability does.

I couldn't disagree more with the philosophy presented by this article. In mono colored commander decks, you need to be even MORE focused on what the deck wants to do, not less. So by adding a bunch of cards meant to patch its weaknesses, you're building to not lose rather than building to win. While your opponents' decks are focused on a strategy, yours is trying to come up with answers to them instead of having a strategy of its own. This will put you on defense from the beginning and make it hard to come back if your answers aren't good enough.

Agreed - it's just better to play into what the deck wants to do.  If it happens to cover a weakness that's a bonus.

For example, in my Seizan, Perverter of Truth deck (was Griselbrand), there's about 20 cards that kill one or more creatures.  Getting rid of enchantments / artifacts?  I'm covered by Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, It That Betrays, Descent into Madness, Curse of the Cabal, and Phyrexian Obliterator well enough, even though Ulamog is the only one that specifically targets something.

My EDH decks:

Erebos ()

Damia ()

Ghave ()

Sliver Overlord ()

RPJesus wrote:

And if she is blocked, it will take more than 11 points of toughness to stop her.

Uh... unless I'm missing something, no it won't. Without trample, Flash Foliage is all it takes to stop all of her damage (Well, technically it'd only stop half, but you get the idea). Also unless I missed an rules change, even with trample you assign the damage before it's doubled.

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

phoenixsoul wrote:

"I think Rings of Brighthearth and Basalt Monolith is the best to card combo. Being able to go infinite with your colorless manager opens up many extreme ways to kill your opponent."

Unless I'm mistaken ( and I might be), isn't Basalt Monolith's ability considered a mana ability as defined by rule 605? And if so, then doesn't that mean that Rings of Brighthearth will have no effect?

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

RPJesus wrote:

phoenixsoul wrote:
"I think Rings of Brighthearth and Basalt Monolith is the best to card combo. Being able to go infinite with your colorless manager opens up many extreme ways to kill your opponent."

Unless I'm mistaken ( and I might be), isn't Basalt Monolith's ability considered a mana ability as defined by rule 605? And if so, then doesn't that mean that Rings of Brighthearth will have no effect?

The first ability is, but "3: Untap" is activated.

So basically Tap it for 3.  Pay 3 to untap it, pay 2 more to copy the untap ability. 1st untap resolves, tap it for 3. Second untap resolves tap it for 3 more.

Essentially it taps for 6 and untaps for 5.

Necr0mancer wrote:

I don't get what they're talking about when they talk about Sands of Time. I don't see how this combo messes with combat at all. Nor do I see how it lets you untap any of your stuff during other peoples turns.

Can anyone explain?