8/12/2013 Draft Simulator

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for this week's Draft Simulator on magicthegathering.com.

Mhhh....dont know it that's any good on a short glimpse it looked quite ok for me. Guess it would be a somewhat R/G sliver deck splashing for some good cards of the other colours.

Round 1:
Fireshrieker
Marauding Maulhorn
Trained Condor
Academy Raider
Blur Sliver
Sporemound
Blur Sliver
Goblin Shortcutter
Dragon Egg
Naturalize
Striking Sliver
Angelic Wall
Barrage of Expendables
Vile Rebirth
Forest

Round 2:
Shock
Manaweft Sliver
Warden of Evos Isle
Time Ebb
Verdant Haven
Blur Sliver
Thunder Strike
Siege Mastodon
Lightning Talons
Groundshaker Sliver
Lay of the Land
Gladecover Scout
Spell Blast
Shrivel
Island

Round 3:
Mindsparker
Chandra's Phoenix
Chandra's Outrage
Darksteel Ingot
Blur Sliver
Young Pyromancer
Goblin Shortcutter
Hive Stirrings
Dragon Hatchling
Sensory Deprivation
Wild Guess
Lay of the Land
Shrivel
Zephyr Charge
Plains

Wow, talk about choices in pack 1....

Removal, bomb creature and bomb artifact.  For those who have never played with the Fireshrieker, it is near the top of my first pick lists, even over most rares.

I love going B/G and B/U, so this was especially hard, but I go with the more repeatable bomb card, and see where it takes me.

Creatures (14):
Corpse Hauler x 2
Manaweft Sliver
Voracious Wurm
Kalonian Tusker
Sliver Construct
Blood Bairn
Rootwalla
Accursed Spirit
Deathgaze Cockatrice
Nightwing Shade
Briarpack Alpha
Woodborn Behemoth
Sporemound

Spells (9):
Duress
Giant Growth
Mind Rot
Grim Return
Verdant Haven
Trollhide
Mark of the Vampire x 2
Diabolic Tutor

Artifacts (1):
Fireshrieker

Land (17):
Swamp x 9
Forest x 8

Ouch, a black deck without any removal.  Black is so much more than removal in M14 though.  Discard cards like Mind Rot and Duress are SO much stronger in M14 where there is so much non-creature spell action.  People tend to hold on to certain cards waiting for the right moment to drop them, but you can just force their hand, literally.  And yes, I tend to like the enchantment aspect, I have found that there is very little instant speed removal, and most of that is all damage based, so if you time it right, you can slap one of these enchantments on the right creature and go wild with it.

I have also found that M14 tends to be a very mana hungry set, so having extra sources of mana production is handy.  And eventually people are going to learn the strength of Sporemound.  Both times I saw him I had to choose between him and Deathgaze Cockatrice.  I chose them each once, but I wonder if I shouldn't have chosen Sporemound both times.  Now your late game land draws produce at worst 1/1 fodder, and at best, enough push to get in the lethal damage.

I tend to gravitate to Black for its removal and versatility, then pair it with Green (best commons) or Blue (fliers and disruption).  But honestly I love Red for the damage and White for the enchantment angles, when the cards are right too.  SO much depends on what you read being passed initially and the color of the bombs you open.  In this case it was a colorless one, for me, but not always.  And I would say a good 50% of the time I am not picking the rare card with p1p1.  There are just so many good commons and uncommons in this set too.

@muskel:

That's a pretty sweet one
I took fireshrieker first pick and then went black/green. Tried it again and went red with the second pick and it turned into a red/blue evasive kind of thing. I definitely think my first call was the right one.

Round 1:

Fireshrieker - This is a surprisingly hard pick. Fireshrieker is an incredible card, but it is a lot more situational than people give it credit for. Lithurgy of Blood, on the other hand, is always good as long as you're black. What's more, it's one of the best commons in the set, if not THE best. It is also the only black card in the pack that is even half decent, meaning we'd hard cut black if we pick it. None the less, the possibility of staying open vs committing early means Fireshrieker is the pick by a smidgen.

Woodborn Behemoth - Woodborn Behemoth is a strong creature, and the best one in the pack. There could be an argument for Howl of the Night Pack, but that requires a heavier commitment and has less effect early game.

Corrupt - Intriguing. Corrupt is good, but we already passed some good black and just picked a good green creature. It is a huge incentive to go mono-black though, and is leagues above anything else here. In the end, its too big a signal, and too good as opposed to Deadly Recluse to pass.

Child of Night - We are rewarded with two great black cards. Mark of the Vampire is a better card, but it tends to be undervalued from what I've seen. I've never been too impressed with Bubbling Cauldron, though I've heard its good.

Mark of the Vampire - Ha! This is a BEAST of a card on Woodborn Behemoth, and double lifelink is nice on... what do you mean there's no such thing as double lifelink? Sadness.

Deathgaze Cockatrice - The only competition here is Sporemound, and this is at least parable if not better than it.

Festering Newt - We have been passed a lot of Blur Slivers, but I don't consider that a good signal since we've gotten passed little other slivers of note. As it stands, Festering Newt is good in the right deck.

Goblin Shortcutter - Goblin Shortcutter this late is incredibly strange, and since the only other card worth picking in the pack is Wring Flesh its worth a speculative pick.

Dark Favor - I've never been impressed with Dragon Egg, we have no slivers, and this is a beast with Lifelink and Double Strike, both of which we have ways of granting.

Naturalize - Woodborn Behemoth is better than Gobling Shortcutter. Thus, the Green Sideboard card is better than the Wild Richotet

Gladecover Scout - We have a nice aura theme going, so this can actually get a lot of value.

Barrage of Expendables - If we end up going the B/R sacrifice deck this could be valuable.

Pay No Heed - Nothing here

Vile Rebirth - Sideboard, and in color too. This suggests there are few black drafters, even though it is jank.

Forest - At this stage we are deep in black, and could either go Mono in order to maximize corrup or go for Green for beats or Red for aggro/sacrifice synergy.

Round 2

Shock - This is an exceptionally weak pack unless you are blue, in which case you get Claustrophobia. In this case, a simple removal spell is decent,  even if it comits us a bit to Red.

Blood Bairn - Manaweft Sliver is great, but it's time to commit. Green has been dry all draft, and red seems to be getting passed, so it's time to cut our losses. This is a great card with red, and we need to start picking Act of Treason's aggressively.

Child of Night - Rootwalla? I think we chose poorly. Still I am not complaining with black picks like this to pick up the slack.

Syphon Sliver - ...god damn it. On a side note, with so much Lifelink even auras like Lightning Talons becomes a high pick.

Corpse Hauler - Speak of the devil. Even with all the synergy, this is still a better card.

Corpse Hauler - Another Corpse Hauler would be nice, but Blur Sliver is actually tempting with our black sliver to back it up. Still, value is too tempting.

Nightwing Shade - Finisher! Bubbling Cauldron becomes decent in our deck with even the one Festering Newt, but we need some Flying beef.

Grim Return - It was this or Diabolic Tutor, and this can become great in certain situations. Emphasis on the certain.

Blood Bairn - Blood Bairn is a great pick this late, even when Lightning Talons is tempting.

Smelt - Sideboard material.

Undead Minotaur - Its a dork.

Smelt - It's okay if we get like three Acts of Treason in the next pack. (Editors note: for some reason I was under the impression I took Altar's Reap here)

Demolish - This isn't even sideboard material.

Shrivel - This, however, is.

Island - We could still go mono-black, but red is decent enough that unless we get another Corrupt or shade I see no reason to do so.

Round 3:

Mindsparker - ...well, that solved that dilemma.

Chandra's Phoenix - I'd say we're being rewarded for being in red, but honestly? It's just dumb luck.

Chandra's Outrage - THIS however is reward for being in red.

Accursed Spirit - A good card with our 'buff up' theme going on with all the auras and Fireshrieker.

Blur Sliver - This time there's no better alternative.

Act of Treason - YESSSSSSSSSSS! Only one, but still, it's better than nothing. Its good enough in our deck its worth picking even over the Young Pyromancer.

Mark of the Vampire - We needed another one of these. Shortcutter is nice, but we have a wealth of two drops already.

Marauding Maulhorn - I could not ask for a better card this late. Gnawing Zombie is a good card, but we already have a slew of great sacrifice outlets and only one Act of Treason.

Undead Minotaur - 'tis a dork.

Thunder Strike - A decent trick.

Regathan Firecat - This is WAY too late. This is a mid pick or even early pick card.

Altar's Reap - There's no reason not to pick it.

Shrivel - We have enough shrivels that we are protected against decks like... ours... oops.

Zephyr Charge - Meh.

Plains - This draft did not go well, but it didn't go badly either. We have not enough removal, we have a bit of a gimick going on, but the problem is it isn't a GOOD gimmick. Lifelink + power boost is strong, but I'd trade a fair bit of it away for more Act of Treasons or those Bubbling Cauldrons we passed. We saw about three to four Newts this draft, which means that we could have gotten some very good combos going. Still, going red proved better than green with the great rewards we got in that last pack. Still, I can't help but feel that this is a 2-1 deck at best.
Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

If you can get it in play, Dismiss into Dream can be a game changer, in my opinion, so I wanted to try to draft cards that can target opposing creatures - yet can be useful for my own creatures if Dismiss into Dream isn't on the board.  Wild Ricochet seemed like a delightful followup that had some synergy with Dismiss into Dream, but pick number three made me realize what would destroy my strategy - Gladecover Scout.  So why not just scoop up all those pesky hexproof creatures myself and utilize Greens marvelous ability to fetch an island instead of commiting to blue.  By the time I finished drafting, though, I may not even need to fetch thanks to Shimmering Grotto, Verdant Haven and Manaweft Sliver.

I think the end result could be successful.  There are a decent amount of components - Slivers, Mass Tokens (2xSporemoundMolten Birth and Young Pyromancer), and insane Removal when our focus card, Dismiss into Dream, hits.  Cards like Goblin ShortcutterBriarpack Alpha, and Barrage of Expendables get downright nasty.  Strionic Resonator can compound both token generation AND creature removal.
Hi all,

Here's my draft:

Round 1:

Fireshrieker
Marauding Maulhorn
Deadly Recluse
Academy Raider
Blur Sliver
Sporemound
Blur Sliver
Goblin Shortcutter
Dragon Egg
Naturalize
Striking Sliver
Barrage of Expendables
Barrage of Expendables
Vile Rebirth
Forest

Round 2:
Shock
Trollhide
Rootwalla
Voracious Wurm
Marauding Maulhorn
Blur Sliver
Thunder Strike
Dragon Hatchling
Lightning Talons
Naturalize
Undead Minotaur
Gladecover Scout
Demolish
Shrivel
Island

Round 3:
Mindsparker
Chandra's Phoenix
Chandra's Outrage
Academy Raider
Trollhide
Shock
Shiv's Embrace
Marauding Maulhorn
Dragon Hatchling
Thunder Strike
Wild Guess
Lay of the Land
Shrivel
Zephyr Charge
Plains

I went with RG, with very heavy Red. I felt like I had an overabundance of powerful red options almost throughout the draft. I could've picked up White instead of Green, about just as well. I'm not Pro, so someone with a better eye might say otherwise, but to me the curve looks pretty good, with pretty good one and two drops, and solid beats at three and four mana. A few tough choices:
- I put in a Wild Guess instead of the second Trollhide, with the idea being to swap out a later game land for something more useful.
- Dragon Hatchling over Dragon Egg. I felt a "two-drop" was better than a wall in main (and fit my curve better), but if the opponent comes in with a lot land beats, I could side the Egg in.
- No Naturalize in main deck. I can always side them in if the opponent is heavy on nasty enchants or artifacts.
- Voracious Wurm in main when I have no lifegain. But it's a solid 2/2 for 1G, so I thought it's justified.

Deck

Creatures 16
1x Gladecover Scout G
1x Striking Sliver R
1x Voracious Wurm 1G
1x Deadly Recluse 1G
1x Dragon Hatchling 1R
1x Goblin Shortcutter 1R
1x Mindsparker 1RR
1x Chandra's Phoenix 1RR
2x Academy Raider 2R
2x Blur Sliver 2R
1x Rootwalla 2G
3x Marauding Maulhorn 2RR

Other 8
2x Shock R
1x Thunder Strike 1R
1x Wild Guess RR
1x Fireshrieker 3
1x Trollhide 2G
1x Shiv's Embrace 2RR
1x Chandra's Outrage 2RR

Land
10x Mountain
6x Forest

Meaningful side options
1x Trollhide
1x Blur Sliver
1x Sporemound
1x Dragon Egg
2x Naturalize
1x Thunder Strike
1x Lightning Talons
1x Dragon Hatchling

Benjamin,

To my non-Pro eyes, I'd say that's bad at all. I chose Fireshrieker in the first pick, a) because it's very good and won me games in a release tournament, and b) it didn't guide me into any color. And to me, Howl of the Night Pack is definitely not a second pick - 7 mana is too much for me, and might be even as a late pick. As a second pick, the Maulhorn at four mana would've been much better.

I don't have much experience with blue in this set, but I think you could make a definitely workable deck out of those picks. 

Hope those help! 
B/G splashing blue for the bomb enchantment.

Round 1:
Fireshrieker bomb
Howl of the Night Pack bomb
Deadly Recluse solid
Mark of the Vampire bomb
Rod of Ruin expensive but worth it in limited
Deathgaze Cockatrice solid
Festering Newt solid
Wring Flesh decent
Dismiss into Dream I guess nobody else wants this...it's does nasty stuff with my rod so I'll see if I can support it
Naturalize main board card for this set.  lots of good artifacts and enchantments runnign around
Altar's Reap card draw
Barrage of Expendables I'm not in red...eh...whatevs
Barrage of Expendables whatevs
Vile Rebirth sure
Forest whatevs

Round 2:
Shock nothing really here for me
Manaweft Sliver I likey
Rootwalla decent
Accursed Spirit solid
Festering Newt solid
Rod of Ruin cool, double the chances to start going off with my enchantment
Nightwing Shade flier with threat of activation
Grim Return Possible
Blood Bairn I don't like you much without Tenacious Dead, but if I must use you I will
Blood Bairn *sigh*
Undead Minotaur sure
Altar's Reap sure
Spell Blast whatevs
Shrivel sure
Island whatevs

Round 3:
Briarpack Alpha I need this
Nightwing Shade expensive and probably won't make it but it's nice to have the option
Deathgaze Cockatrice such a tough pick.  The Baloth and the fight spell are both really good too
Accursed Spirit I likey
Trollhide cool
Shock nothing for me
Mark of the Vampire bomb
Gnawing Zombie curve filler
Undead Minotaur sure
Vile Rebirth sure
Sporemound O.O wow that's late.  I likey
Lay of the Land cool, I can use this to fix colors
Shrivel sure
Zephyr Charge whatevs
Plains whatevs

Creatures (15)

Non-Creatures (7)
[deck]
1x Lay of the Land
1x Naturalize
1x Fireshrieker
1x Mark of the Vampire
2x Rod of Ruin
1x Dismiss into dream
[/deck]

Lands (18)
[deck]
1x Island
10x Swamp
7x Forest
[/deck]

The Shrieker should help turn my mediocre creatures into legitimate threats (and makes my cockatrices very very scary).  The pair of rods can kill multiple things either on their own or in conjunction with combat damage and if I find either of them at the same time I do the blue enchantment the opponent suddenly has no more creatures.  Ever.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. How to Create
Show
replace {} with [] {sblock} at the beginning and {/sblock} at the end.
I borrowed this from blood77. All credit goes to him. Great idea for a signature and I'm tired of people not autocarding decks. How to Auto Card
Show
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
Show
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck Auto Deck
Show
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4 Halimar Depths 4 Unstable Frontier 8 Island 4 Swamp Creatures 12 4 Hedron Crab 4 Nemesis of Reason 4 Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4 Spreading Seas 4 Suffer the Past 4 Mind Funeral 4 Archive Trap 4 Ponder 4 Into the Roil 4 Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Result