Command Tower: Happy Commanderversary!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Command Tower, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Am I thw only person who thinks Sol Ring doesn't belong in every commander deck? I've got two decks which including the Ring would actually be more hindrance than help. Plus, once you reach a certain point, it ends up being a dead draw.
The only decks that wouldn't want Sol Ring are ones that the cards mainly cost colored mana and don't have much in the way of a colorless cost for spells or abilities.  However, Sol Ring can get you ahead on mana if gotten early and can get you to those last bits of mana you need for big spells or playing your general again so it is not really a dead draw.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Eh... I think for those really big spells or for casting the commander again, I'd rather have Thran Dynamo or Gilded Lotus. Don't get me wrong... Sol Ring is a great card and it does go in most decks, but it's not an auto-include in EVERY deck like some people think. Same goes for Command Tower
Eh... I think for those really big spells or for casting the commander again, I'd rather have Thran Dynamo or Gilded Lotus. Don't get me wrong... Sol Ring is a great card and it does go in most decks, but it's not an auto-include in EVERY deck like some people think. Same goes for Command Tower

Two cards that can only be played late game if you get to five mana.  Yes at that point Sol Ring is not as good, but the ability of Sol Ring to be played and get you one mana up on ANY turn you play it is still useful.  It is virtually never a dead draw.

I've already elaborated on some of the corner cases of not using Sol Ring.  But for Command Tower you are still talking about corner cases.  If a deck runs more than one color, Command Tower is auto include.

Now, when I say "corner cases" I am referring to the fact that there are very few decks and not to the frequency of play of those decks.  For example, I wouldn't run Sol Ring in my Sliver deck because Slivers mostly require colored mana and not much colorless mana.  Also, Sol Ring being an artifact makes it dangerous to run in a deck with Harmonic Sliver.  The example for Command Tower would be my mono-black EDH.  As command tower would only be able to add black mana and isn't a swamp (which some cards in my deck care about) it would be better to just run another swamp.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Yes, I think you're pretty much just restating what I've already said. Which is that there are only a very few cases where you wouldn't want Sol Ring or Command Tower in your deck. What I was getting though is that some people will put them in the deck regardless of what it wants to do or what it's focus is. And that's just poor deck building.
O.O....My comments were mentioned....More than once. *does happy dance*

I know I made the top Strionic Resonator comment.  That one's definintely mine.

I'm 99.999% certain the Chromatic Lantern comment is mine.  I know I put the lantern in and I know I at the very least wrote something extremely similar for my reasoning.

And I'm not certain, but I may also have written one of the comments on Lightning Greaves.  I honestly can't remember, but they sound like things I would say.  XD

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.