6/30/2009 LI: "Some Questions You Should Be Asking"

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
He's right. When I play I need to keep reminding myself to stay out of autopilot mode, which is very easy to slip into.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I guess Steve Sadin may have wanted to avoid any more fighting on the boards, but he missed an opportunity to mention further impacts of the rule changes in that whole "Should I use my giant growth here".

Right now in Shards limited my solution to many of those problems would be to use giant growth with damage on the stack (first strike damage in the case of the Rakeclaw Gargantuan). That way even if the opponent has the Resounding Thunder it won't be too much of a blowout, as I'll be effectively trading his removal for my pump.

In M10 limited, this play is gone and the risk becomes much greater.
I love Steve's work. The article was nice.

The only thing that got to me was that the combat damage trick he mentioned at the end of the article isn't possible with M10 changes. What a pity.
Well, the reason he mentioned it was because under the old rules, it was pretty nearly always the right thing to do, and thus "automatic". With M2010, you have to choose one or the other rather than being able to automatically grab both. There's more opportunity for strategy, decisions, and mistakes with the new rules.

Interesting article. A bit abstract, but that's not a bad thing occasionally. I wouldn't want every article to be like this, but once in a while it's nice and thought-provoking.
Why didn't Steve get a preview card?
Manaug.gif | Manawu.gif | Manau.gif | Manaub.gif | Manaur.gif
Well, the reason he mentioned it was because under the old rules, it was pretty nearly always the right thing to do, and thus "automatic". With M2010, you have to choose one or the other rather than being able to automatically grab both. There's more opportunity for strategy, decisions, and mistakes with the new rules.

The oppotunity arises the moment you build your deck: don´t play the new Nantuko Husk, its not worth it.
Why is it that we haven't seen a draft walkthrough by Steve Sadin for weeks (or is it months)? Is the Alara set really that trivial and obvious when it comes to drafting? That's not been my experience. I wish we could spend a little more time discussing this format before it gets booted out the door for the next set - M10. While I don't mind articles of this sort from Steve on occasion, it seems to be becoming the main fare, and I'm not very happy about that.
The part I'm confused by is why pumping a Cylian Elf to take down a Wholly Thoctar is the wrong play? I would normally think of an early game Wolly Thoctar as very bad news. The kind of creature that is either going to ravage my health or destroy my board position. Once I declare blocks I can be the victim of a two for one but will have at least have not taken damage that round and, if I'm going to suffer a two for one loosing a Cylian Elf is not the worst card I could loose to valuable removal. If I new I'd suffer a two for one I'd probably not make the play but if its uncertain what I gain by taking the Wolly Thoctar out of the equation early in the match seems to compensate for the risks involved.
Stuff.

He says that in most mid- to late-game situations giant growth is worth more than a 2/2.

Although he doesn't actualy say it, it's implied that if you can take out the thoctor early it's usually worth it.

The most important thing in this article is where he says you need to consider each action independently, instead of letting yourself go on auto-pilot.
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.

Yah, there was no point clicking on the article. :P
Why is it that we haven't seen a draft walkthrough by Steve Sadin for weeks (or is it months)?

In the year + he's been writing the column, how many walkthroughs have we gotten period? Two, if that?

They're not what he does. He prefers to use broader lessons that will be applicable in future draft environments (using modern scenarios, of course). I think walkthroughs are very useful too but at least I can get those elsewhere.

The part I'm confused by is why pumping a Cylian Elf to take down a Wholly Thoctar is the wrong play? I would normally think of an early game Wolly Thoctar as very bad news.

He said it's wrong to pump when you're blocking with a pair of 2/2s. The Thoctar is going to die either way, so it's a question of which two cards you're spending to take it down. Also the implication is later game, with you losing the race.

Then on top of that (probably unintentionally) the way he phrased it and the new vanilla-first rules mean you'd be risking a 3-for-1 if the opponent has removal.

So he's saying that it's better to keep the trick and let both 2/2s take the fall.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Yah, there was no point clicking on the article. :P

You bet, Mr. Bunkles. :P

But in all seriousness, I was hoping Steve is going to dissect the FIRST EVER limited Core Set environment with the use of his brand new preview card. Oh well, the lessons on auto-piloting will have to do.
Why is it that we haven't seen a draft walkthrough by Steve Sadin for weeks (or is it months)? Is the Alara set really that trivial and obvious when it comes to drafting? That's not been my experience. I wish we could spend a little more time discussing this format before it gets booted out the door for the next set - M10. While I don't mind articles of this sort from Steve on occasion, it seems to be becoming the main fare, and I'm not very happy about that.

It's not really necessary to see draft walkthroughs here as there are a quite a fair number of draft bloggers who do that elsewhere. Sadin writing an in-depth article about the questions you should be asking your self in gameplay situations is a lot more valuable and a lot less common elsewhere on the net.

Why does he need one? Limited Information has never been a column that frequently showcases card previews as it rarely applicable to the topic as it is in other columns.
But in all seriousness, I was hoping Steve is going to dissect the FIRST EVER limited Core Set environment with the use of his brand new preview card. Oh well, the lessons on auto-piloting will have to do.

MTGO players have been playing tons of draft/sealed with core sets since 7th edition.
MTGO players have been playing tons of draft/sealed with core sets since 7th edition.

Sure, but who cares? I'm talking about the first official prerelease for a Core Set ever... With new cards. Ah, whatever.
Read this article again during it's rerun, and liked it a LOT better the second time. I personally have a tendency to use my cards too early, and this reminded me of why I need to fight that urge.

On a side note, the Terror VS Pacifism (now Doom Blade vs Pacifism) question really depends more on the table than anything else if the third best card isn't white or black. If you know going in that one color is overdrafted or underdrafted, you should probably set yourself up in the less-drafted color (unless that color is horribly weak).
Check out my magic blog: http://magicthemusing.wordpress.com/
Sign In to post comments