6/5/2009 LD: "A Boy and his Cube"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Is it sad that the first thing I thought of when I saw this was Portal (the game, not the set)?
I like how he tells us what's in his cube. That way we can all have fun playing it.
Is it sad that the first thing I thought of when I saw this was Portal (the game, not the set)?

Me too
I am going to watch the Pro Tour live a bit. It starts at 10.45 pm for me, which means I will be able to watch a decent chuck, but not all of it. The rest I will try to download the morning after, careful not to see too much of the results. Which is pretty difficult.
Photobucket
I had to vote no, as I have no idea what time that'll be in GMT, lol. But if it does happen to fall at a convenient time, I might check it out.

+1 on thinking of Portal, lol.
Triple Alara Reborn is somewhat fun to draft as since it can stand on its own. Certainly no real one-drops.
I like how he tells us what's in his cube. That way we can all have fun playing it.

http://www.tomlapille.com/cube/tom_list.html
it seems like everyone who makes a cube builds for power. this cube is deliberately made without certain broken cards, but power is still the focus. does anyone build from a different perspective? if i made one i'd probably go in for junk rares.
it seems like everyone who makes a cube builds for power. this cube is deliberately made without certain broken cards, but power is still the focus. does anyone build from a different perspective? if i made one i'd probably go in for junk rares.

I made my cube with a theme in mind. Its nickname is "Cubes into Play"; you can guess the theme. :D Although it is still powerful (turns out thematic cubes that are not specifically built to be bad are still powerful due to synergy), it's a different kind of power than "best cards evar".

Mark Gottlieb built the GottCube, which is multicolored, partly as design/development work prior to CON/ARB design. It is synergistically powerful, but not as powerful as power-cubes.
Mark Gottlieb built the GottCube, which is multicolored, partly as design/development work prior to CON/ARB design. It is synergistically powerful, but not as powerful as power-cubes.

"The GottCube"? Sounds familiar, somehow...does MaGo moonlight as Bruce Wayne? Or a dairy farmer?

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I built a cube just with on-curve common and uncommon goodstuff, basically because I can't afford 400 deck protectors, and that worked pretty well for my local play group.

I haven't drafted triple Alara Reborn, because 1) I don't personally like Alara block all that much, 2) organised play support in the UK is dead and 3) I came down with a chronic illness last year which means walking to my local game night is now a royal pain in the, well, chest. But I absolutely loved triple Future Sight and despite the fact I pretty much hated Lorwyn, triple Morningtide was good fun too. So to a general question of "Do you like triple small set drafting," my answer would be yes, even though I voted No in last week's Reborn-specific poll.

Props to Tom or whoever else may have been behind the inclusion of what appears very much to be a character sheet from Legend of the Five Rings, quite possibly my favourite tabletop roleplaying game ever!
Is it too much to ask not to put the name of the winner in the place where you download the webcasts? People who want to know that - go to the tournament centre and find it out. Hell, it is written all over the site.

People who go to download a webcast actually do not want to know who wins, before they see it - and if they do - there are easy ways how to find out not spoiling the fun for those that like to watch webcasts now knowing who wins.
Sign In to post comments