Feedback on Gatherer

583 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion, suggestions, comments and feedback on the new version of Gatherer, which you can find here: http://gatherer.wizards.com/.

Thanks!
I think I should comment and rate cards to get that going.

So far there aren't enough comments.

Also, would it be a good idea to post other cards that would combine well in the comments?
http://gatherer.wizards.com still points to the old link. Is that going to change soon or do we still need to use the beta link?
http://gatherer.wizards.com still points to the old link. Is that going to change soon or do we still need to use the beta link?

Hi,

The new URL has propagated; this sometimes takes time at the DNS level. You should be able to use http://gatherer.wizards.com/ from now on (although links today might still say beta.gatherer.wizards.com when pointing to the new one, and that alias will still work).

--dave
Well it is still showing the old site now, but I'll just change my bookmark to the new site. Weird how I am actually in your neck of the woods and this is not changed yet
When I click linked cards, I get a 404 error.
When I click linked cards, I get a 404 error.

I'm getting "The page cannot be found" 404s from all the autocard links in the forums too.
I'm getting "The page cannot be found" 404s from all the autocard links in the forums too.

Hey Guys,

Yeah, sorry about delay. The DNS change is still trying to propagate through things. I made sure everything was setup correctly on the network side of things. Several different locations have updated, some haven't yet.

Eric
Mainly, there should be some parsing and redirection of old links. The majority of site links are very broken now, and shouldn't be so in production.

Everywhere on the site are multitudes of links using your script (that needs cleaning, badly):
function autoCardWindow(cardname) <br /> { <br /> win = window.open("http://"+gathererBaseURL+"/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name="+useName, windowName, params);<br /> //win = window.open("http://ww2.wizards.com/Gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?name="+cardname, windowName , params); why leave the commented out one?! bloat =\<br /> }<br /> <br /> function autoCardWindow2(cardname, set) <br /> <br /> Skipping, it is likewise

If you change the scripts to point to a new coverter page on gatherer that looks-up id based on name input from url, and then displays the info, it would clean up any issues presently until your site has time to change all links (albeit it would not have to changed). I have not dev'd aspx, (anti-microsoft =p) but php could do this very easily.

Also IMO move the page to the same look as the main mtg site. There is this disconnect between the two that needn't be there (unless its for mobile, which doesn't seem to work).
Placing it in
would give it enough room it appears, maintaining site links and affinity.

Also IMO get rid of the top banner ad, move it to two side adds, side ads aren't as obtrusive. While I agree lotro is "the best fantasy mmorpg yet created" I don't want to log on that again, I want to do some mtg!

Lastly, use a javascript window that is neat and clean, like magelo profiles.
IMAGE(http://www.dyfrin.com/forumimages/mtg/sig.png) Deck Construction, Luck of Draw, Execution, are insignificant compared to $$$$. Support proxies, put skill, not money at the top.
I know this is picky but I'm not a huge fan of the cutup paper edges. I prefer a neat and clean layout.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
Me either, I use FF so...

Right click->adblock image. :p

What borders?

Now if only I could do this in MTGO...
MTGO SVCL - Ask me for help if you're lost or confused!
Mainly, there should be some parsing and redirection of old links. The majority of site links are very broken now, and shouldn't be so in production.

Everywhere on the site are multitudes of links using your script (that needs cleaning, badly):
function autoCardWindow(cardname) <br /> { <br /> win = window.open("http://"+gathererBaseURL+"/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name="+useName, windowName, params);<br /> //win = window.open("http://ww2.wizards.com/Gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?name="+cardname, windowName , params); why leave the commented out one?! bloat =\<br /> }<br /> <br /> function autoCardWindow2(cardname, set) <br /> <br /> Skipping, it is likewise

If you change the scripts to point to a new coverter page on gatherer that looks-up id based on name input from url, and then displays the info, it would clean up any issues presently until your site has time to change all links (albeit it would not have to changed). I have not dev'd aspx, (anti-microsoft =p) but php could do this very easily.

Also IMO move the page to the same look as the main mtg site. There is this disconnect between the two that needn't be there (unless its for mobile, which doesn't seem to work).
Placing it in
would give it enough room it appears, maintaining site links and affinity.

Also IMO get rid of the top banner ad, move it to two side adds, side ads aren't as obtrusive. While I agree lotro is "the best fantasy mmorpg yet created" I don't want to log on that again, I want to do some mtg!

Lastly, use a javascript window that is neat and clean, like magelo profiles.
Hi Dyfrin,

Thanks for the feedback. No arguments on the JavaScript needing to be cleaned up. Now that Gatherer's gone through several iterations over the years, there's bound to be some broken links here and there, but we definitely want to fix them when we can. It would be really helpful if anyone notices any places where there's a bunch of broken Gatherer links to PM me or post about them in this thread.

Thanks all,

Eric
The entire system seems rather unintuitive. In attempting to search for only Conflux lands, I was barraged with useless tabs and options which really only hindered my ability to search. Additionally, the inability to simply choose an expansion set and the requirement to instead choose a block or format for legality adds unnecessary difficulty in searching. The old Gatherer system was ideal in that it was simple, elegant, and did the job well. The new system "fixes" things which did not need to be fixed and adds more unnecessary complications than one could ever desire. In closing, I would like to hereby ask that the old Gatherer system be brought back up online and the choice be given between Gatherer One and Gatherer Two.
It looks like the old gatherer is gone and now I can no longer find official oracle text for the cards. Is that somewhere else now? The new gatherer runs all the rule lines together as one line, so it is not accurate. Is there some other location that I have missed?
I agree that this new gatherer seems rather unintuitive. The only new features that excite me are the feedback system and the ability to search for cards that have 2 specific colors in their casting cost. None of the output options make for quick browsing of results. Perhaps I'll warm up to it later, as at the moment none of my searches are performing properly: any search I try to run by text or type returns results as though I only had name checked.

Very disappointed so far. Will be checking back for improvements, but am praying for the option to stick with the old gatherer. I've always heard there are good third party databases out there, maybe I should look into some of those too.
I tried a very simple search. "Rebel." NOTHING comes up. Is "doesn't work" a known issue, or is it so unintuitive that I could be doing something wrong? It's a danged search engine, it doesn't need to be complicated. What was wrong with the old one? It was perfect!
I've been using this new gatherer since it came out awhile ago, and i've noticed a few odd, or annoying things it does. Overall, I like it. I think with a few improvments it could be amazingly simple to use.

1) What would be nice is if when i hit search in the advance search option, it would search for everything in that side box, and everything i've typed in the fields (I keep getting burned by not having "uploaded" my search criteria to the search box).

2) When i go back to the advanced search page i don't want my options reset. I'd much rather have a big "Reset" button somewhere and keep my original search.

3) I would like an option that would allow me to choose sets by expansion symbol (instead of names), just have it fill the screen up with expansion symbols and let me select the ones i want to search in.

4) Put a magic card next to the advanced search area, under the "upload" box. This magic card would start out blank but fill in with whatever details you are searching for... (If you choose green, it's border changes to green, if you are looking for creatures, it's type becomes creatures.) With so many options i would like a visual aid to help me find out what exactly i'm searching for.

4) somtimes when i go back and type in something in the search bar before the page is fully uploaded it will simply tack on what I wrote to the end of Search terms... I find this overly annoying. Couldn't the search bar just be blank?

5) I would like to see each card's "page" given a rules area. To make finding rulings on it much easier.

6) I feel that in the advanced search area, things could be better displayed. For example, why can't the color's section just have a string of mana symbols with a generic one at the end?
… and then, the squirrels came.
The new version has a nice polish to it, and is clearly a more sophisticated web app, but I am sad to see the simple yet effective methods of the old gatherer be sacrificed in the process of this upgrade.

Only being able to search by block / rule set from the main search menu is what I found to be most disappointing about the new layout. Being able to search individual expansions was one of my favorite features in the old gatherer.

In the previous version, you basically had all your search tools fit into a nicely compacted box at the top of every page. Now, the advanced search menu is simply huge, and the full set of search tools are no longer available at the top of every search results page, making it more difficult to run a variety of different searches one after another.

I think too much has been lost, and too little gained, with this new version of Gatherer.
Adding set to the main page as a filter is something we'll put into our next build. The expansion symbol idea is also a good one - I will run it by our team. Thank you for the feedback!

Making the Advanced search page into a more intuitive tool is something we're working on continuously, and is marked as an Known Issue on the . One of the major problems, although it might not be apparent, is that the old version of Gatherer simply could not do even a fraction of what the new Advanced search can do, so we can't just go back to the "simpler" interface of the old version.

Thanks again for your input.
I find it odd that autocarding works perfectly fine for an entire page, but then none of them work on a different thread.
Ymtc: Idol Round 3
57681748 wrote:
Assassination Plot Sorcery Conspire Target player who asked too many questions this turn sacrifices a creature. (Too many is one more than the number of spells cast.) "Now where do we put the bo-" Ramses Overdark, last words
56287226 wrote:
Awesome wording here, and the addition of conspire is inspired. Very nice.
First, the 'beta Gatherer' button was removed, and autocarding stopped working.

Then the new Gatherer replaced the old one, and autocarding came back, but to the new Gatherer.

This I can understand. The new Gatherer, however, doesn't work very well. I can do a simple search on a word. But when I try to go to the advanced search, no matter what filters I put on, no matter what new entries I try to put in the text search, I just get my old search back.

And, on top of that, even though I've selected to stay logged in, now when I visit the forums, I have to go past the first page until the cookie is remembered - it usually only happens when I'm in the list of posts in a specific subforum. (Something did just get fixed, though; I was able to "click here to login" as another way around this - before, when I tried that, it just sat there and went back to the original page, because I was "really" logged in, I guess.)

Possibly I just need a newer browser or less-restrictive security options. I suppose I can try making these sites trusted in IE, if it's a Firefox issue. But the old Gatherer worked so well and so reliably, why can't the new features, which would be nice, be added to it instead?

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Hey there,

I try to search the lorwyn-shadowmoor block for rare lands and I get every rare land ever made. Actually none of my searches have worked out.

How do we get to the site with the old gatherer that works?

Garry
Advanced search works perfectly for me.
Ymtc: Idol Round 3
57681748 wrote:
Assassination Plot Sorcery Conspire Target player who asked too many questions this turn sacrifices a creature. (Too many is one more than the number of spells cast.) "Now where do we put the bo-" Ramses Overdark, last words
56287226 wrote:
Awesome wording here, and the addition of conspire is inspired. Very nice.
The autocomplete boxes are rather lame.

If you have a list of known values like subtypes/sets/rarity why are you forcing users to type something in?

The way you have things setup your forcing users to go mouse->keyboard->mouse.
I think the old gatherer was better in almost every way. It didn't show pictures, but it did allow for more selection options, and every card showed up when I did a big search, instead of having to go through multiple pages.
I think the old gatherer was better in almost every way. It didn't show pictures, but it did allow for more selection options, and every card showed up when I did a big search, instead of having to go through multiple pages.

Try the Advanced page - it has a lot more selection options than the old Gatherer.
This forum shouldn't have been made active until it was finished. There's just no excuse for this piece of garbage.
Try the Advanced page - it has a lot more selection options than the old Gatherer.

Thats great and all, but a lot of this functionality is very YAGNI. Just because I can search for all cards drawn by Mark Something which are of Subtype Zombie that have a CMC of 17 doesn't mean this is better than the old gatherer.
Thats great and all, but a lot of this functionality is very YAGNI. Just because I can search for all cards drawn by Mark Something which are of Subtype Zombie that have a CMC of 17 doesn't mean this is better than the old gatherer.

Actually, it does.
This forum shouldn't have been made active until it was finished. There's just no excuse for this piece of garbage.
I just wanted to express my appreciation for the new Gatherer. While I can see how it might be a bit overwhelming for some users who aren't familiar with these kinds of things, all of the Advanced Search features are very impressive and helpful. The old Gatherer wasn't too bad most of the time if you knew enough tricks to squeeze what you wanted out of it, but this new version blows the old one out of the water. The massive amount of options is a bit overwhelming at first, but a little tinkering and the Help is more than enough to figure everything out.

Just fiddling around with the filters to see what they can do has already resulted in me stumbling upon a few cards I'd always missed with the old Gatherer that are perfect for a deck I'm working on.

It's great stuff. Thanks for the awesome tool.

Edit: Also, the comments/rating system is an excellent idea.
I'm new to magic and don't know all the cards, I used the old gatherer to help me in deck construction.

So as an example, I'm searching for all 1. green 2. tribals. Check green mana symbol, check type box, check drop down of type. Everything else blank, makes sence that I should get only green tribals. How tough is that?

All green cards come up, all of them. Great filtering. LOL

If I select the same items in the advanced search, nothing comes up.

Did you make sure to actually add those search terms? Someone awhile back during beta would choose things in Advanced Search but didn't ever click on the "Add" button (it also works if you select what you're looking for and then press enter) so his searches came up empty. The search works fine for me so that's the only thing I can think of.

If I search for green Tribals in the advanced search, I get seven cards.

What did you see in the search box on the right before you hit the Search button?

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

I personally hate it with a passion.

It seems overly complex in every way, shape and form, and is only then compensated with the ability to review cards (which is alright i guess) and certain ways to filter out certain cards your looking for.

Please let there be an option of having either the new, or old one.
I personally hate it with a passion.

It seems overly complex in every way, shape and form, and is only then compensated with the ability to review cards (which is alright i guess) and certain ways to filter out certain cards your looking for.

Please let there be an option of having either the new, or old one.

You'll get used to it and then be glad of having so many search options, especially when you realize your search parameters were too broad and you want to narrow it down. You just go from your current search to Advanced again (by clicking on Advanced, not by hitting your back button), then hit Load Previous, and narrow it down from there.

I didn't much like it the first time I used it because I wasn't sure what was going on. I forced myself to start using it (knowing I'd be forced to eventually when it was no longer in beta testing) and two or three searches later, had already decided I'd never use the old Gatherer again because it just doesn't have enough options.

Just give it some more time for you to adjust to it. We humans have a tendency to resist some types of change and this is one of them.
I'm new to magic and don't know all the cards, I used the old gatherer to help me in deck construction.

So as an example, I'm searching for all 1. green 2. tribals. Check green mana symbol, check type box, check drop down of type. Everything else blank, makes sence that I should get only green tribals. How tough is that?

All green cards come up, all of them. Great filtering. LOL

You can get the search you want by making sure only "Search card: name" is checked (and then checking the green mana symbol checkbox, and the Filter Type = Tribal dropdown). Unfortunately, there is a bug with the "Search card: types" checkbox where it will override the "Filter Type" dropdown selection with what's in the main text box ("Search Terms..."). Since you didn't provide any terms, it ignores type(s) and just returns green cards. I'll put this on the list to fix in our next build. Thanks for identifying that problem!
The requirement to hit the "add" button in the advanced search is a right pain. In most cases, one isn't going to be searching beyond two or three filters, none of which overlap. For example, if I'm searching "Red Tribal", then I should not be forced to add Red and Tribal. Rather, these options should be automatically remembered. This is likely the result of my "unintuitive" comment before.
The requirement to hit the "add" button in the advanced search is a right pain. In most cases, one isn't going to be searching beyond two or three filters, none of which overlap. For example, if I'm searching "Red Tribal", then I should not be forced to add Red and Tribal. Rather, these options should be automatically remembered. This is likely the result of my "unintuitive" comment before.

I just went to the new Gather, typed in Tribal in the search box, unclicked Name and clicked Types, then clicked under the red mana symbol. It returned 7 red Tribal cards. I don't see what's not intuitive about that, and if all you want is a simple search like that above and you are confused by the Advanced search, then don't use Advanced for simple searches; that's what the Simple interface is for.

Hitting Enter or clicking Add makes it so that I can create a very complex search because I can add more than one of any single search term. If I want to check for cards that are and but not contain , I can do so. I couldn't do that in the old Gatherer. I can also make sure that none of those are Artifacts (excluding anything from Alara Block that are artifact creatures but leave in all of the creatures from other sets), leaving me with non-Artifact Creatures and also any Instants, Sorceries, and Enchantments that might be {mc]wu[/mc] but not [mc]b[/c].

Advanced search is best used for advanced searches and Simple search is best used for simple searches. Both are excellent at what they do.
I love the new filters, they make finding cards much easier. Now I want to complicate things by asking if it's possible to add even more specifics to search for. For instance I am currently trying to find as many standard spells as possible that have activated abilities. If you type in the word "Tap" in the search box, you'll only find spells that actually use the word "Tap" and not spells with a tap symbol on it. Even if it could find tap symbols on the spells text there still are activated abilities that don't require taping and therefore have no tap symbol. The same is true for looking up spells with triggered abilities.

*Edit as I'm writing this it occurred to me to try putting in a colon ( : ) in the search box and that worked.
It would be really helpful if anyone notices any places where there's a bunch of broken Gatherer links to PM me or post about them in this thread.

Thanks all,

Eric

Okay, I think this will qualify as odd:

[thread]1177990[/thread]

Message #3 has an autocard link to Whispersilk Cloak that doesn't work; it goes to http://gatherer.wizards.com/gathererlookup.asp?name=whispersilk_cloak

Message #4 quotes message #3; it has a working autocard that goes to http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/details.aspx?name=whispersilk cloak

Message #5 also quotes message #3; its autocard link fails because it is identical to the one in message #3.

And if I start to post a reply, all three of those messages have working autocards in the topic review.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Okay, I think this will qualify as odd:

[thread]1177990[/thread]

Message #3 has an autocard link to Whispersilk Cloak that doesn't work; it goes to http://gatherer.wizards.com/gathererlookup.asp?name=whispersilk_cloak

Message #4 quotes message #3; it has a working autocard that goes to http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/details.aspx?name=whispersilk cloak

Message #5 also quotes message #3; its autocard link fails because it is identical to the one in message #3.

And if I start to post a reply, all three of those messages have working autocards in the topic review.

All of the autocards work fine for me and I started looking 6 minutes after you posted. Not sure if they fixed something that quickly or what - odd.