4/3/2009 TWTW: "Wild Cards"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Sorry, but that Reejerey looks hideous.
I agree.

Now, on-topic: I try my best to go rogue. If there's no choice, then I'll probably pick out the best Control deck available or a Combo deck.
Louck's ChannelFireball.com article is definitely a good read for anyone who fancies themself a rogue deckbuilder (for tournaments).

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I always prefer a rouge deck, but if I don't think that I have a rouge that can compete I will usually just go for the best aggressive or midrange deck
I prefer using my own stuff but do not begrudge anyone playing a "standard" build...unless of course they have no idea how to use it.

Or whine about my build.

I hit someone playing Boat Brew on Turn 2 with a Fanatic that I targeted with Fists of the Anvil.

Then I hit him with it again Turn 3.

I hit him AGAIN with an unearthed Hellspark and the Fists and he started COMPLAINING.

REALLY?!

You are complaining about a deck running Fanatic, Hellspark, and FISTS OF THE ANVIL.

When you are running BOATBREW?!

Get bent.
The problem with being successful with a rogue deck is that it makes one extremely reluctant in the future to accept playing with a deck that is not rogue.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I always go rogue. That said, I haven't attended a PTQ level tournament since the Mirrodin qualifiers for Kobe. My deck was awesome. :D
I always prefer a rouge deck, but if I don't think that I have a rouge that can compete I will usually just go for the best aggressive or midrange deck

You'd better be glad you don't play WoW.
That's the way to play, Raedien. Fists of the Anvil!

I get a few weird looks for my Exploding Borders deck, and then they realize that they're about to get burned out because they didn't counter it when they could have or I had a Guttural Response handy. My decks aren't breaking the meta open, but I don't care. It's more fun to be proud of your jank-pile than to try to pilot someone else's.

Those forum posts always made me chuckle :D
I've only ever played casual magic with friends. However, if I were to play in tournaments (which I would love to do, it's just that I don't have the time and or money with which to do it), I would definitely have to go with a rogue deck. They set up cool combos that no one expects, and often lead to really entertaining plays. For example, I have a deck from Shards that's kind of become my pet - it runs the three color behemoths (and Bull Cerodon) from Shards, along with 3 Runes of the Deus and 3 Shield of the Oversoul. I still remember the first time I got out a Wooly Thoctar on turn 3, a Shield on 4, and a Runes on 5, creating a 9/8, flying, double-striking, trampling, indestructible beastie. My friend's face was priceless.

??? I am confused.
Awesome article.

I once had many players scratching their heads when I played TurboFog when everybody was playing Fires of Yavimaya or UWb Control, both of which didn't really have answers to that. They still won though, cause they were plain better players.

But that was a long time ago.
??? I am confused.

I didn't expect it any other way. ;)
Sign In to post comments