4/1/2009 StF: "Magic Art Tropes"

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.
I really liked this one although I would have preferred even more tidbits and card examples. The best one was the bit about hosing Drakes! More like that please!
Where does the strange cyclops with the Doomgape come from? I don't recognize it and it doesn't seem to fit Alara. Zendikar?
I came in to also ask about that cyclops. strange..
Whenever I bounce something, a drake somewhere disappears... I always feel bad for them.
Ymtc: Idol Round 3
57681748 wrote:
Assassination Plot Sorcery Conspire Target player who asked too many questions this turn sacrifices a creature. (Too many is one more than the number of spells cast.) "Now where do we put the bo-" Ramses Overdark, last words
56287226 wrote:
Awesome wording here, and the addition of conspire is inspired. Very nice.
Even non-Knights get to wield the Spear of Hitting You First, even when (in the Skyhunter's case) their polearm wouldn't hit much

I think she's gonna throw that spear. Look at how she's holding it; she's not about to joust. ;)

Anyway, you know I always enjoy articles with an eye on card illustrations. Good one, Doug!
I wanna see the Villainous Shrug now.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Even non-Knights get to wield the Spear of Hitting You First, even when (in the Skyhunter's case) their polearm wouldn't hit much:

Uh... Skyhunter Patrol is a knight, as are all of the various Skyhunters.

That being said, as someone who spends WAY too much time browsing through the TV Tropes Wiki, I greatly appreciated this article and can't wait for a further installment!
That being said, as someone who spends WAY too much time browsing through the TV Tropes Wiki, I greatly appreciated this article and can't wait for a further installment!

I agree; but, similar to the sense I get from TV Tropes, I get the sense that Doug is poking fun at himself and others for not being able to come up with something more original. I know he and TV Tropes say that "trope" doesn't mean "bad", but all the jokey names like "Card Disadvantage Face" give me that impression.

Also, I can't see Eventide card images when I click links to them (Belligerent Hatchling, Double Cleave, etc.). Can anyone?
I agree; but, similar to the sense I get from TV Tropes, I get the sense that Doug is poking fun at himself and others for not being able to come up with something more original. I know he and TV Tropes say that "trope" doesn't mean "bad", but all the jokey names like "Card Disadvantage Face" give me that impression.

Yeah, but tropes/clichés are overused for a reason: they work. Terry Pratchett said it best:

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication

As a game, at its most basic mechanical level, Magic doesn't even technically need art; the playtest cards they use during development prove this. But I find the fact that repeated mechanics frequently find themselves depicted by consistent art tropes rather appropriate. Show me a black-framed spell with art of a guy screaming in insanity and I instinctively know that it's probably a discard spell before I even read the text box.
I don't think the tropes are bad, either; but the jokiness of Doug's article rubs me the wrong way.
See below, and see also the art of Double Cleave and Hearthfire Hobgoblin.

I'd really like to, but the Gatherer Lookup Window doesn't show the card image...

Apparently for none of the Eventide cards.
Bit of a tag-along with the succes of TVtropes, but the drake thing is funny.

The cyclops must be a red herring, right? Would that be Zendikar or M10?
If the former, this might well be a cue that Zendikar is a prehistoric world (see his 'jewelry' and crude weapon), meaning Imperiosaur and those Glyphs for sure..
Every time you blast a drake, an angel gets its wings.
I don't think the tropes are bad, either; but the jokiness of Doug's article rubs me the wrong way.

If I give you a teddy bear, you can show us where it rubbed you. You know that inappropriate rubbing is wrong, right?
Actually people patiently standing in line would fit quite nicely on some fiendishly bureaucratic white spell. Don't know about people picking at their fingernails though. But I would very much like to see a goblin or giant picking his nose. Has it been done yet?

-Samesan
If I give you a teddy bear, you can show us where it rubbed you. You know that inappropriate rubbing is wrong, right?

You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
I disagree with the "logic defying" and "math defying" descriptions given to the blind eternities. It is more to the point that it obeys different rules than those normally experienced. as stated it is impossible to remain in the blind eternities long enough to gain any in depth knowledge of the region. ancient planeswalkers (like nicol-bolas or possibly even older beings...) would have greater knowledge of the blind eternities than others. if NO rules applied there then it would be impossible to interact with it at all. without rules to determine what is possible nothing is possible.
But I would very much like to see a goblin or giant picking his nose. Has it been done yet?

Not with those two specific races, but Orcish Conscripts went there way back in Ice Age.

(Click to an older version; the ME2 image isn't showing up.)
But I would very much like to see a goblin or giant picking his nose. Has it been done yet?

Not with those two specific races, but Orcish Conscripts went there way back in Ice Age. (Click to an older version; the ME2 image isn't showing up.)

That card was awesomely funny...
Loved the tropes and all the other times you guys have posted the artist decriptions of cards that have been made. I was just wondering if maybe you could put a bunch in a collective area on the site for magic players like me that would enjoy using them to make or own art. Maybe you could host a contest with it for us artistic players. Prizes could be

1st place gets used on a real card
and the other places get art supplies or cards signed by the artist

you could even do three first place slots with a timmy, johnny, and spike card for each catagory. I mean even if it was just three people get picked to make a card's art it would be awesome. Heck for me that would be the only prize i needed.

Either way it would just be cool if you could just do a section to get the art decriptions.... please?