$5.00 Frenzy

I am a teacher and have started a game club at my middle school. That is grades 6-8. Here is the contest I sent home with the kids during Christmas break. Care to throw in your ideas? I am sure my students needs some help. I don't have any prize to offer to the online crowd, but I also thought some of you may be either interested in helping or bored over the holidays and needed something to do! I hope you enjoy it! I know I am!

$5.00 Frenzy: A Deck Building Contest

Inspired by HollowOn3

Welcome to the wonderful world of Magic the Gathering! Since many of you are new to the game, I discovered a great way to learn some of the MtG cards that I would like to share with you. My discovery was a deck-building contest with a twist or two. The first twist was to build a deck for under $5.00. The second twist: The deck must contain four copies of a certain card. I have tried this contest once before, and I am looking forward to trying it again.

Rules:
Build a 60-card deck around the card that I chose. The deck must contain 4x of the chosen card and must be classic legal. The term “classic legal” means the deck can be played under the Classic format on MtGO.

Once again, the price limit for your entire deck is $5.00 dollars, and every single card will be counted toward that maximum amount. Also, you need to know that the basic lands cost $0.02! DO NOT USE THE *FOIL* CARDS!

Please use the prices from MTGO Traders! I have provided the link below! I can verify those prices easily and this site has prices for all the online cards. Please mention the price of the cards when you post your deck lists! Use the Excel file provided below (Copy it and paste it into an Excel spreadsheet!) to display the details of your deck; include the Name of Card, Price of Card, Number of Cards Needed, Total Cost and Mana Cost!

MTGO Traders: http://www.mtgotraders.com/store/10th_edition.html

Creatures Name of Card & Price Per Card # of Cards Total Cost Card Info Mana Cost
Featured Card x 4 .02 x4 0.08

Total number of creatures
Spells or Enchantments

Total number of spells
Land

Total number of land
TOTAL COST 60 Cards Total

I will award Bonus Points! Bonus points can be earned as followed: 1 Point for building a deck that costs exactly 5 dollars; 1 Point for the cheapest deck. In case of a tie, all the decks involved in the tie will receive the Bonus Points.

You can only submit one deck, but you are allowed to edit the deck as many times until the contest closes. The contest will begin on December 19th, and stay open until noon of January 4th, GMT+2. At that time, I will post that the contest is closed; no further editing will be allowed. Shortly thereafter, the voting will begin.

Voting will be done per Private Message (e-mail). You will vote for the top 3 decks and voting for your own deck is not allowed. The voting will be simple; just list three decks in the order you believe to be best. Please indicate your choices as follows: 1st place= one deck, 2nd place= another deck, 3rd place= yet another deck. Additional Bonus: People that participate in the vote will earn an additional bonus point!

Scoring the votes: The 1st place vote is worth 3 points, 2nd place vote is worth 2 points and 3rd place vote is worth 1 point.

Final Scoring: The three people with the most points will form the top 3. In case of a tie, my vote will count as the tiebreaker. I will only vote in case of a tie!

Prize: 1st Place gets a free MtG Online Account! This is a $10.00 value! (Sorry...This is for my students only)

Finally, it's time to name the card that you will have to build around and include 4 copies of it in your deck: Duct Crawler.

Since this card is a $0.02 cent card, you will have $5.00 dollars - 8 cents as your budget; so you have $4.92 as your remaining budget.

Seeing that this is your first attempt at this, I will give you some prompts. Can you think of a theme for your deck? It is an insect! You may want to research other insects. Also, did you notice it is very cheap because it only costs one red mana to play it? You may want to look at other cheap cards if you want a fast deck, or you may want to find some enchantments to make it stronger! Do you want a mono-red deck or a multi-color deck?

Can you create a deck on such a tight budget? Are you up for the challenge? Good luck! You should do your best, because I have five other contests branching off of this one!

More Help:

USE http://www.mtgotraders.com/

Start researching your cards for your deck using the cards under the MENU on the left side of the screen!

You should copy and paste your cards on a Microsoft Word document so that you can keep track of the cards you are using!

Begin with 10th edition and work down the list! You can use any cards from any of the sets!

After opening the card set you want to use, you may choose to only look at the color you like by clicking on the color at the top of the page.

You may even ask for help by using the message board on this website: http://www.wizards.com/

All work must be your own! You may only use the ideas posted online as a guide to help you in your research!

DUCT CRAWLER: http://www.mtgotraders.com/cgi-bin/shop-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*2645aea004a115553e5ef7e05eb7f1d1994c7c9f8b
Duct Crawler? Of all the cards available you choose this? I'll see what I can come up with, but that's not a very exciting card to work with.
Hmm, tricky. 1-drop 1/1, insect, red, activated mediocre evasion. I'll do what I can.
Complaining about the card selection on the very first response to my post???

Sorry for the lack of excitement, but I did say this was for my middle school game club. My students are new to the game and are learning all the rules and combinations. This is practice for them, and the card is familiar with my students. They enjoy playing red, but I want them to focus on creatures instead of "burn" cards. I want them to focus on a theme too.

Also....I did not see anyone else put up a contest so I thought people would enjoy this and helping my students. I assume by the complaint that your contest will have a very intersting card that my students will enjoy learning. We look forward to it. We love contests and they would love to see one offered by someone other than me!

Also, I hope my students learn from me how to play and have fun...REGARDLESS if they win or lose. I want them to try to do their best on this. With that being said, if one of my students do happen to look at this message board, I guess I had better state that I do hope people post POSITIVE comments on this topic.

Thanks for the support!
Sounds fun, here's a basic deck I just threw together:

The basic idea is to use various recurring targeting effects (Including Duct Crawler) to blast away at your opponent's creatures with Horobi's triggered ability. Once Horobi makes it to play, he provides a relatively good beater.

A secondary tactic is to use Fractured Loyalty to steal any problem creatures that your opponent may have--just make sure Horobi isn't in play when you try to enchant a creature, you'll end up just killing it.

A couple GY recursion effects--Golgari Thug, Grim harvest and Makeshift Mannequin--are available to fetch back any creatures you have that may have died, including Horobi.
Nice job, Thornwalker! You effort is much appreciated!

Here is my attempt:

Game Club: INSECT DECK

Name of Card / Price per Card / # of Cards / Total Cost

Creatures:

Duct Crawler 0.02 x4 = 0.08
Shocker 0.35 x4 = 1.40
Ironshell Beetle 0.02 x4 = 0.08
Bayou Dragonfly 0.05 x4 = 0.20
Nantuko Disciple 0.02 x4 = 0.08
Barbed Shocker 0.04 x4 = 0.16
Nantuko Elder 0.04 x4 = 0.16

Total number of creatures: 28

Enchantments or Instants or Artifacts (AKA: Spells):

Keldon Mantle 0.02 x4 = 0.08
Dragon Fangs 0.02 x4 = 0.08
Exoskeletal Armor 0.04 x4 = 0.16

Total number of spells: 12

Land:

Golgari Rot Farm 0.05 x2 = 0.10
Mana Prism 0.05 x2 = 0.10
Swarmyard 0.02 x2 = 0.08
Basic Land 0.02 x14 = 0.28

Total number of land: 20

TOTAL CARDS and COST = 60 for $3.04
Since they're new, I like that you're trying to get them to try different ways of play. You say that they've been playing burn lately, and that's interesting (most people actually start with critters).

Perhaps you could try some puzzle-related ideas, such as:

Select a hand of seven cards, and the order in which to play them, that will result in the quickest win possible. If you need a turn beyond the first, or an effect would have you draw more cards, list the cards, in order, to be drawn.

This is an excellent introduction to combo, and will help your fledgling players learn to look for them. Since you're using online, you don't have to worry about Black Lotus or Channel.

I can post more ideas if you like this one.
Great idea! Keep them coming! It never hurts to try something new.
Here is a deck created by one of my students! I call it "X Marks the Spot!"

He sent it to me at school so I thought I would post it here for him. If you like, could give him some suggestions and I will pass them along to him. I know he is loving this game and I would really appreciate any help you could provide. Please start with the positives! He is a 6th grade student, so do not overwhelm him. How about giving three positive comments and three improvement needed comments.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Quantity Name Each Total
4 Duct Crawler $0.02 $0.08
1 Ponder $0.08 $0.08
2 Drelnoch $0.02 $0.04
24 Island $0.02 $0.48
1 Merrow Harbinger $0.08 $0.08
1 Furnace Dragon $0.14 $0.14
2 Bottle Gnomes $0.04 $0.08
2 Mind Stone $0.50 $1.00
2 Repulse $0.25 $0.50
3 Barrel Down Sokenzan $0.02 $0.06
2 Fledgling Mawcor $0.04 $0.08
10 Mountain $0.02 $0.20
1 Chandra Nalaar $1.50 $1.50
2 Crystal Seer $0.02 $0.04
2 Enigma Eidolon $0.02 $0.04
1 Brine Elemental $0.05 $0.05
1 Sage of Epityr $0.02 $0.02

Subtotal $4.47
Total $4.47

He sent it to me at school so I thought I would post it here for him. If you like, could give him some suggestions and I will pass them along to him. I know he is loving this game and I would really appreciate any help you could provide. Please start with the positives! He is a 6th grade student, so do not overwhelm him. How about giving three positive comments and three improvement needed comments.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Quantity Name Each Total
1 Ponder $0.08 $0.08
2 Drelnoch $0.02 $0.04
24 Island $0.02 $0.48
2 Mind Stone $0.50 $1.00
2 Repulse $0.25 $0.50
10 Mountain $0.02 $0.20

Subtotal $4.47
Total $4.47

I'm not going to critique the deck but I did want to provide some helpful info on using the boards.

Ray, I'd like you to meet the autocard tag and the deck tag. On the message boards we have a special tag that you can put around card names to make them clickable and we have another tag that creates a pre-formatted deck list

• Autocard
    Show
    Autocard: [noparse][/c][/noparse] or [noparse][card][/noparse]

By typing these tags around a specific Magic card name, it creates a clickable link to the WotC gatherer database. It will appear in a separate popup window.

Example: [noparse]Wrath of God[/noparse] becomes Wrath of God.

If you wish to use a nickname or refer to a card by another name but still have it come up you can format the [noparse][c][/c][/noparse] tags in the following way:

[noparse]Best Sweeper Ever[/noparse] becomes Best Sweeper Ever

[thread=419536]This FAQ[/thread] by Zammm is an Excellent reference.
  • The Deck Tag
    Show
    The Deck Tag: [noparse]
    [/noparse]

Use this tag to post a deck without having to Autocard every single card name. It has the added bonus of putting the deck in it's own highlighted box.

[noparse][deck=Curious Dragon]
    Extended Casual deck. 60 cards
    4*Niv Mizzet, the Firemind
    4*Electrolyze
    4*Curiosity
    4*Brainstorm
    4*Whirlpool Rider
    etc.
    [/deck]
    [/noparse]

Will produce...

[deck=Curious Dragon]
    Extended Casual deck. 60 cards
    4*Niv Mizzet, the Firemind
    4*Electrolyze
    4*Curiosity
    4*Brainstorm
    4*Whirlpool Rider
    etc.
    [/deck]

Basically, in a deck tag, the deck's title is in the equal property.
    Any line that starts with a number and a * gets parsed as a card.
    You can also put text into the tag and even nest other tags (Yes even another deck tag. Don't do it. It's considered abuse).

Guess what? Chicken butt.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Quantity Name Each Total
1 Ponder $0.08 $0.08
2 Drelnoch $0.02 $0.04
24 Island $0.02 $0.48
2 Mind Stone $0.50 $1.00
2 Repulse $0.25 $0.50
10 Mountain $0.02 $0.20

Subtotal $4.47
Total $4.47

I like the idea you had to do a little deck filtering with the Sage of Epityr and Crystal Seer.

A few suggestions. 1st is the mana base, a 60 card deck usually doesn't need more than 24 land in the deck, so that will give you 10 slots to add other cards.

2nd, I'd suggest adding and removing some cards that don't really interact well with the rest of the deck. First is Merrow Harbinger, when you play him, you get to search for another merfolk, but your deck doesn't have any others. Perhaps add another Furnace Dragon and some more cheap artifacts, like Ornithopter and Sensei's Divining Top.
Thank you both for the help! It is truly appreciated!

3-5-09 Update: Wilmheath and all, I am sorry for not responding sooner but I thought this thread was dead. Maybe I can keep this going...FINGERS CROSSED!

For my first attempt, this deck-building contest went very well. The kids love playing the game! I have six regular attenders. I do appreciate all the help offered here on this site! Keep it coming...if you can. At least the people on this thread can comment. Hint: Please just put the date in front of anything new and put the current contest too.

EXTENDING THE CONTEST: I am going to try somthing different with the next contest and extend the $5.00 Frenzy contest to the $7.50 Fix! I am going to use the first deck that was submitted by one of my students (SEE BELOW), because I have it here on the web. I copied this deck and gave them to my students. They all have the same starting spot. They now must fix the deck and can now spend an additional $2.50!

Below is a $5.00 deck created by one of my students: I call it "X Marks the Spot!" Can you give it the $7.50 Fix? I dare you to fix YOUR deck AND the deck below! It looks like you have some work to do! Do not forget, you only have $7.50 to spend and DUCT CRAWLER x 4 must be in the deck! The deck must be classic legal.

Quantity Name Each Total
1 Ponder $0.08 $0.08
2 Drelnoch $0.02 $0.04
24 Island $0.02 $0.48
2 Mind Stone $0.50 $1.00
2 Repulse $0.25 $0.50
10 Mountain $0.02 $0.20

Subtotal $4.47
Total $4.47

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. OMG! WE HAVE LIFE ON THIS THREAD!
So how did the contest turn out? I wish I had a teacher like you back in the day.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
4 Duct Crawler .02x4=.08
4 Genju of The Spires .12x4=.48
4 Arc Slogger .6x4=2.4
2 Kumano, Master Yambushi .15x2=.3
4 Shock .02x4=.08
24 mountain .02x26=.52
4 Martyr of Ashes .08x4=.32
4 incinerate.15x4 =.6
2 Seal of Fire .03x2=.06
4 Oxidda Golem .02x4=.04
4 Chartooth Couger .03x4=.12

Total 5 tics