UnCon 2009

I think it's about time we started getting ready considering how close we cut it last time.

I assume Rush will be our UnCon director again since he's the VCL here, and we will need Section Organizers for Magic (I volunteer again), Magic Online, DnD, Star Wars, and anywhere else we can get our hands on one.

If Rush wants, we can do what we did last year. He can handle the dealings with CM while I cover keeping the Section Organizers running smoothly.

Specific event planning for normal users can wait until we get closer, but anything we need special quests and WotC for should be planned within the next few months.
Gleemax Roleplaying - An all inclusive freeform roleplay. Build characters, armies, and bases from any source material imaginable to enter into epic wars and deadly battles.
Check out the other PbP games around:
Real AdventuresPbP HavenThe Guild House
Garic's CityMap of the PlanesCOre COliseum
Castle of FunTerisia City and Fan FictionD20 Modern
Coalition War GameParanoia ParadiseMagic Puzzles, Fun, & Games!
?
Gleemax Roleplaying - An all inclusive freeform roleplay. Build characters, armies, and bases from any source material imaginable to enter into epic wars and deadly battles.
That tournament we did in the ARG was fun. Can we do it again this year, but with a greater time limit?

Good Trades: 18 Bad Trades: 1

That tournament we did in the ARG was fun. Can we do it again this year, but with a greater time limit?

Yes.
It's a bit early to be planning much of anything. Definitely too early to be recruiting section organizers or anyone for that matter... it is 6+ months away. That said, we've had a change in management once again and we need to discuss with them what they want from us going forward.
It's a bit early to be planning much of anything. Definitely too early to be recruiting section organizers or anyone for that matter... it is 6+ months away. That said, we've had a change in management once again and we need to discuss with them what they want from us going forward.

To my knowledge WizO's started planning pretty much as soon as the last UnCon was over.

You definitely have a point, though. If you want a hand in getting all that head stuff organized, feel free to IM/PM me.
-Count me in for everything I did last year and whatever.
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
A planning post.

Prizes
First need to find out how WotC wants prizes handled:
  • CAs + CTs - Given out like candy or what?
  • Product Prize - Need to get a list of product WotC is allowed to give out before the event, then hammer out details.

Looks like CC&E VCL will have to determine what contests get what prizes at this point.

Needs to be a "I Won a Prize" thread. After a contest is over, the host and/or whoever won comes to the IWaP thread and says "I won a prize, and it was [product/CA/Ct]." Makes getting prizes to everyone much easier.

Planning Contests

There needs to be a contest request thread, where people give a brief summary of the contest, any precedent of the contest, how many winners, what kind of prizes they would like, how long it will run, etc. Just about anything you'd want to know about it goes into a request post.
I have no idea who would approve these things yet. My guess is the CC&E VCL or the Section Organizers (who might know more about a specific area than just the VCL).

Section Organizers

I'm not really clear on what they did last year. I suppose their job is to promote awareness of UnCon throughout their specific forums. Might want to handle some prize work to make the VCL's job easier.

Calendar
I need to talk to eric/mike on this one.
It could just go on this forum. Yay

Mainly...
...stuff needs to start happening.
Section Organizers handle all the contests in their own section. What you saw as this was all the work I did in Magic last year.
"Handle all the contests" is very vague. Can you be more specfici?

edit - Wow, I butchered that word. Left it for everyone to see.
"Handle all the contests" is very vague. Can you be more specfici?

edit - Wow, I butchered that word. Left it for everyone to see.

Rally support, organize and approve the contests for each part of that section, and get guests to come and visit (like Pete Venters :D) were the main things I did.
I will come back and do my usual Uncon shenanigans...

Funny Note: Participated in each Uncon, yet never actually joined in on a competition to earn a prize :P
Since the Core Coliseum would like to participate in the UnCon and we usually need a fair amount of time for "prep-work" - when is the UnCon going to be held this year?
The COre COliseum just hit 1000 fights! Come join the fun and be a part of this milestone! Next pairings are set for 22 August 2012. Activate TODAY!
Blue Moon Aurora is looking for some fresh blood to populate their forums. Home of the Duet and West Pacific Supers!
Garic's CityMap of the PlanesD20 Modern
Castle of FunTerisia City and Fan FictionGleemax Roleplaying
My List of characters for the CoCo and other ventures
NaNoWriMo 2010 WinnerNaNoWriMo 2011 Winner
Since the Core Coliseum would like to participate in the UnCon and we usually need a fair amount of time for "prep-work" - when is the UnCon going to be held this year?

Sometime around September/October. We'll start doing some preliminary work here soon... sometime in May.
Sometime around September/October. We'll start doing some preliminary work here soon... sometime in May.

That's going to put us on a huge rush over the summer.
As always, Paranoia Paradise would like to host a couple of games as part of UnCon.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.

Excellent.

The CoCo is still discussing options, but it looks like with 4E we can finally enact a Grand Melee... which is something we tried to do with 3.5E and it just never worked out...
The COre COliseum just hit 1000 fights! Come join the fun and be a part of this milestone! Next pairings are set for 22 August 2012. Activate TODAY!
Blue Moon Aurora is looking for some fresh blood to populate their forums. Home of the Duet and West Pacific Supers!
Garic's CityMap of the PlanesD20 Modern
Castle of FunTerisia City and Fan FictionGleemax Roleplaying
My List of characters for the CoCo and other ventures
NaNoWriMo 2010 WinnerNaNoWriMo 2011 Winner
That's going to put us on a huge rush over the summer.

What rush? We need hosts, contest ideas, and a working prize list. That doesn't take long at all, especially with last year to serve as a guide. IM me when I'm online next and we'll start talking about it (you still have my AIM, ya?).
What rush? We need hosts, contest ideas, and a working prize list. That doesn't take long at all, especially with last year to serve as a guide. IM me when I'm online next and we'll start talking about it (you still have my AIM, ya?).

I started last year in around May, and we didn't get prizes sorted out until weeks afterward.

And yeah, I have AIM. I'm still hoping we can get that meeting sorted out for you, me, Gard, and the ever busy CM.
That was largely a rebuilding year. Much of the problems we know how to solve now. For instance, as contests and events get approved, they'll have a prize (or prize range) assigned to them. We'll also be more strict with contests having a deadline for submission (I know much of this was my own fault, so I'll do my part to be more strict). People know we're doing it ourselves and word of mouth has reached the areas that missed out last time. Plus I've been all over the boards now, so anything that gets missed I'll know about it.
The d20 modern area will have a contest...You can rest easily knowing that:P

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Still a ways off. But would be happy to run a contest when the time comes.

Speaking of which, would be nice to have a forum announcement a week or two before the submission deadline.
:ubm: :brm: :rgm: :gwm: :wbm: :urm: :bgm: :rwm: :gum:
Coalition Wargame - Defend Dominaria and her allies, or advance the Phyrexian Invasion. You will lead legendary armies to battle, gain control of magical planes, and win ultimate glory.

I'll handle a contest in D&D/What's a DM to Do? Forum.
Actually, I have an idea for a contest in the What's a DM to Do and in the What's a Player to Do forums. So I'll handle two contests this year.
Like the new CT. :D

I'll get back to work on finalizing SO's once I get back. I think I only have a handful left, so it shouldn't be a huge issue once I can access my normal stuff.
Will Uncon dates and participating board sections be listed in this thread or will there be separate threads in each Forum section?
Will Uncon dates and participating board sections be listed in this thread or will there be separate threads in each Forum section?

That will be up to the various SO's to announce once they are all finalized.
I'll volunteer to do some activities for the Avalon Hill section again.
NOTE: There may be some serious issues with prize support this year. I'm currently working with Eric to try and skirt around the legal issues. CAs and CTs are still guaranteed. As are cookies.
Please put me down as the section organizer for General Gaming.

If anybody would like to do something in the Rec Room, please send me a PM so we can coordinate it.

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

Please put me down as the section organizer for General Gaming.

If anybody would like to do something in the Rec Room, please send me a PM so we can coordinate it.

I'm SO for General Gaming. :P

We can share the position if you want, though. I'm already sharing the Paper Magic position anyway, so that's fine by me.
So I guess I can pipe up and figure in on an art contest of sorts, though the art threads are abysmal for activity I think a broadcasted effect may be better.

Concept: The Mercenary Five/Gladiators

Pick five notorious playable monster races in 4e and illustrate them ready to face another group in an arena match. The second group need not be in the illustration. Must include five different weapons one, or (dual wielded-two) for each separate monster race. Art will be judged and categorized by the five following criteria:

1. Detail
2. Color scheme
3. Scenery
4. Intensity
5. Overall

Any medium is available except for photography and manipulations. Must be original work no reused or old artwork and not used by any other business entity. Twenty days (or longer depending on contestants and necessity) for a deadline length no exceptions, etc, etc.

Any one think this is a bad idea?

AMQ
I had an idea for a "shared" contest between the art forum and the writing forum. But for now I'm going to keep it to myself. That doesn't mean, of course, that we can't have two contests on the art forum.

As to your idea... it seems fine as a concept. I have questions, of course.

-- Who's judging?

--
five different weapons one, or (dual wielded-two) for each separate monster race.

What about classes that don't use weapons, such as wizard? Although I suppose in that case you would just count the wizard's implement as a "weapon."

-- You could open it up a little by removing "4e" from it. For example, what if somebody wanted to do a group of Star Wars themed characters? Or playable monstrous races from d20 Modern?
More as I think of it, but it's not a bad idea AMQ.

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

Do we at least have a start/end date to shoot for yet? I want to start brainstorming ideas and press-ganging judges/hosts ASAP.
I had an idea for a "shared" contest between the art forum and the writing forum. But for now I'm going to keep it to myself. That doesn't mean, of course, that we can't have two contests on the art forum.

As to your idea... it seems fine as a concept. I have questions, of course.

-- Who's judging?

--

What about classes that don't use weapons, such as wizard? Although I suppose in that case you would just count the wizard's implement as a "weapon."

-- You could open it up a little by removing "4e" from it. For example, what if somebody wanted to do a group of Star Wars themed characters? Or playable monstrous races from d20 Modern?
More as I think of it, but it's not a bad idea AMQ.

Well I think wizards would enjoy a 4e art contest, and this was the only reasoning behind it, though i see you point, but the question here is that broadly expands the dimensions and choices, almost too much, but hey perhaps we can angle it from 4e and d20/modern/starwars/etc support. Either way, I see it as an opportunity for writers to stat-block the h8@* out of them.. :D

AMQ
Do we at least have a start/end date to shoot for yet? I want to start brainstorming ideas and press-ganging judges/hosts ASAP.

We're still working things out with GM at the moment, and we want to try and work around the product releases as best we can for as many games as possible. We should have a definitive date by fall at the very latest, though.

Is there an Uncon group we can join to keep abreast of the status? Or is there a Community Contest group?

What date is uncon gonna be done this year?

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls

Information? Anyone? I'd like to host a contest and get some info on prizes, but royk has started an UnCon contest thread in casual... That makes it seem like everything's set in stone. However, I can't find anything even put in clay.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

His thread was a misunderstanding. Nothing is set in stone at the moment.

VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.

Any word on when, or even if there will be UnCon this year? (I was hoping to get some contests set up...)

Good Trades: 18 Bad Trades: 1