Custom Title awards for an ongoing contest?

Since March of '06, I've helped coordinate and run the Hero Craftsman contests over on the What's a Player to Do forum in the D&D area. The contest in a nutshell: a theme is provided by the judges, and players design and develop a character around that theme. Entries must include "fluff" and "crunch" and are judged on both aspects.

The 16th installment of the contest launched yesterday. (there's a link in my sig for those interested in seeing it, and possibly participating - we'd love to have you come and join us). Would it be possible to arrange for Custom Titles for the winner of HC16 as well as the folks who won the previous 15 installments? Of the previous 15 contests, there have been 10 different "gold medal" winners. So we're looking at 10 custom titles, with the possibility of an 11th in early June. I fully expect Hero Craftsman to continue into the future, and it'd be spiffy if we could regularly award a CT for HC17 and forward as well.

I can provide a list of names if this is a possibility to arrange.

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

Also, if this is the wrong place to ask I'd appreciate if somebody could kindly point me to the correct location to try and secure custom titles, both for HC16 as well as the previous winners.

John Ling

This is as good a place as any. :D

Solice is on vacation so I'll see if I can bug G0 about it.

All around helpful simian

Thanks, C-Monk. As I said, I can easily provide the list of names of previous winners, and then can provide the winner of each contest going forward starting with 16.

And feel free to stop by and enter the contest. :D

John Ling

Thanks, C-Monk. As I said, I can easily provide the list of names of previous winners, and then can provide the winner of each contest going forward starting with 16.

And feel free to stop by and enter the contest. :D

I would but I already have a CT. ;)

As demonstrated by yours, folks can have multiples.

John Ling

Just a (of sorts) to see if there's any news on this.

John Ling

Do you need anything from me, Mike? Do you have an estimate on a time frame for a decision on this?

John Ling

God, Zherog, today is Saturday. Stop expecting the staff to hop to it on weekends, they aren't your personal maids. Maybe if you had posted this on a weekday. ;)

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

I know - I totally should've asked at the beginning of the week.

John Ling

But now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

The other half is endless waiting, then a brief and bloody struggle ending in death.

<3 :P

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

It's been a while and there's still no answer to this, so I'm going to go ahead and bump this thread again.

To reiterate, if there's any additional information you'd like, please let me know. A link to the current contest is in my sig; the first post of that thread links to the "master" thread. I can provide you a list of gold medal winners, or you can pull it from there.

John Ling

In before arcane missiles working as intended.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

Been more than 48 hours since my last , so...

John Ling

48 hour

John Ling

Short answer: Yes we can do this, but I have no eta on when I'll be able to start work on setting up the process to make it happen.
Thank you.

Do you want me to post the 10 names here, send them to you in a PM, or some other method?

The winner for HC16 should be determined in 2 weeks or so. Once I have that name, I'll treat it the same way as the previous 10, if it's something new.

John Ling

I assume this goes for the ongoing contests in the DM boards (Master DM Compatition, Drunk DM Competition and Master Storyteller Compeition). All three competitions will be announcing new winners shortly. I can get you a list of all past winners by PM or posted here.

Great news!
OK, let's make this as simple and easy on CM as possible. I think we can all recognize the logistical difficulties. The less hassles for them the more likely it will be done in a reasonable and timely manner.

So here is what I suggest.

We start a thread somewhere (maybe VCL forums, maybe in this forum, you two give me your preference). I can start and maintain it.

The first post sets the procedures for the thread.

The second post is a compilation of competitions and the names of winners for those competitions which have been approved for custom titles.

The third post is a compilation of the competitions and the names of winners for those competitions which has applied for custom titles, but not yet approved.

Then comes the applications for custom titles...

Name of Competition
VCL Approved: name of VCL who approved the recommendation (this is a filter for the process)
Custom Title Desired: the title you seek
Retroactive: how far back to apply the custom title
Description of Competition: detailed description of competition and really why a custom title would be justified for this competition

Thus we have one location for all custom title requests and one post for easy access for determining who has a title.

Thoughts?
I agree that simplification is good. But honestly, you seem to be complicating matters - at least to me. But that's in part, I think, because I don't completely understand your suggestion. Especially this:

Name of Competition
VCL Approved: name of VCL who approved the recommendation (this is a filter for the process)
Custom Title Desired: the title you seek
Retroactive: how far back to apply the custom title
Description of Competition: detailed description of competition and really why a custom title would be justified for this competition

I think that only applies to completely new contests requesting a title, but I'm not sure. Can you write up a sample of each post you envision?

John Ling

I think we need to set up a system where people can apply. I mean we have tentative approval from CM for the Hero Craftsman competition, but wrecan, justifiably so, has three other existing competition he wants to add to the pile. I can guarantee that more competitions will be heaped on this in short order. I don't think CM should just automatically say 'hey let's do it for all existing competitions!' so we need some mechanism.

This is the problem facing CM and it is a problem.

OK now an application...a totally made up competition.

Master Railroading Competition
VCL Approved: Crazy Monkey
Custom Title Desired: Master Railroader
Retroactive: We have had 12 winners from previous competitions we also wish to reward the custom title to as well as future winners.
Description of Competition: The MRC is the ultimate competition for GMs to prove they can force any plot upon their players. We have had 15 competitions over the last two years with 12 winners. Our participation has ranged from 5 (MRC #2: Endless Flavor Text) to 62 (MRC #13: Make a DMPC) and we are the biggest competition in the RPG area. A custom title would be really appreciated and a fine reward for all of our participants. Here is a link to our rules.

So what are the hurdles here? First, VCL approval which is probably the big one. Second, you have to take a few minutes to fill out an application.

I think this is more than enough for CM to make a decision. Personally, I think CM should rule that a competition should only get a custom title once per month and that if participation drops below some number (like 5) the custom time support may be revoked (though not necessarily).
OK - I'm a little clearer now. The application doohickey is for future applications.

Is this something that really requires VCL signoff? I mean, I never talked to a WizO about the Hero Craftsman contest way back when they started, and I never talked to Webster after the switch. [edit]What if the person making the edit is the VCL? For example, what if - in your example - C-Monk was the one who ran the contest and wanted the title?[/edit]

John Ling

I think the VCL checkoff is just a way to tell CM 'hey our VCL thinks this is a good idea so come on it's no big deal!'. CM could even share with VCLs it litmus for awarding custom titles so the VCLs can make a sure a competition has decent rules, multiple judges, and some real participation.

As for what if a VCL comes up with the competition. Well then obviously it has VCL approval. :D

But the truth of the matter is that CM could decide to not reward custom titles for a competition even if the VCL started and run it.

I think that we can agree the Hero Craftsman is approved and I suspect as will wrecan's recommendations as they are very similar. Still an application for each of them will also help show other competitions what the standard is. I think the four competitions mentioned so far set a good standard for what sort of competition should get a custom avatar.
I think it does make sense that the VCL should approve the contest before it can get a custom title award. I'm fairly confident that the three contests I named would qualify. And I have no doubt that Hero Craftsman would as well.

Actually, thinking on it, I would like to start the prizes for the Master DM Comps with the first 4th edition versions. I'm no longer coordinating the Drunk DM (and never coordinated the Master Storyteller comps), so I have no idea if those competitions will be upgrading to 4th edition.
I think it does make sense that the VCL should approve the contest before it can get a custom title award. I'm fairly confident that the three contests I named would qualify. And I have no doubt that Hero Craftsman would as well.

Actually, thinking on it, I would like to start the prizes for the Master DM Comps with the first 4th edition versions. I'm no longer coordinating the Drunk DM (and never coordinated the Master Storyteller comps), so I have no idea if those competitions will be upgrading to 4th edition.

I suspect that the 4e edition of the MDMC is going to be huge. It should have a huge spike in participation. Brace yourself. ;)

I guess the big advantage with the switch to 4e is you can now just reuse all the old competitions ideas now as it is a new edition. :D

I'd still like to know what to do to get you names of people.

John Ling

I still need to know how to go about providing names.

John Ling

I still need to know what to do about getting those 10 people their CT. And the next contest will be starting up in the next day or so.

John Ling

Been a few days, so...

John Ling

Have you tried PM'ing anyone about it? Say, GZ?
Survey says yes.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

The Evil Hot Attractive Cute Pixie Goddess Princess Fairy is correct.

In addition to that, in the time that I started this request, another request for a much more complicated scenario was brought up, discussed, resolved, and (as best as I can tell) implemented. Meanwhile, I still sit here waiting for word on how to inform somebody of the 10 user names who have won the previous 16 contests.

John Ling

Sorry for the delay. I have a list of outstanding issues in VCL forums. While I understand that each individual contest and event is important, I am trying to focus on creating a system that allows them all to be taken care of seamlessly, without waiting on direct CM involvement.

Creating all these systems take time, but in the end I feel it's worth it. This doesn't mean that individual things aren't important, it's just that as I prioritize my time, I try to focus on things that will deliver the most benefit to the community in the long-term.

While I'm more the "systems guys", that doesn't mean that WotC_Michelle or Solice can't help out with cases as a one-off. For example, even though the entire prize system isn't yet finalized, Solice still takes care of some MTG events.

I hope that helps explains a little where things stand.
So... you're telling me I should go harass Solice instead? ;)

John Ling

So... you're telling me I should go harass Solice instead? ;)

I shall neither confirm nor deny that I have gotten Custom Titles for contests by bugging Solice about it via PM. I shall also neither confirm nor deny that Solice is helpful, friendly and great fun to work with.

This message may or may not self destruct in 30 seconds.

Hey Zerog!!!

I am sorry this has gone unanswered for too long.

Now lets get to work!

I have a few questions if you could educate me:

How long does the event run?
How often are the titles given?
How many people participate?

I am trying to evolve a plan for how we give CT's and CA's etc so this is the perfect place to start the process. Thank you for being so patient. I here by award you a halo.
I have a few questions if you could educate me:

Sure thing.

How long does the event run?

Each contest is open for submissions for somewhere between two and three weeks. A few factors play into how long it's open.

1) We try to end on a Friday or Saturday
2) We tend to give a little more time for higher level characters

After all entries are submitted, the judges pore over the entries. The longest it takes to judge is two weeks. During that time frame, anybody else is free to post comments and reviews about a character, the mechanical choices, the background, and so on.

For example, HC17 just recently started. (there's a link in my sig). It started on July 2nd, and will close for entries on July 18th. Judging will wrap up by August 1st and we'll announce the winners.

Typically after a contest ends, it's another two weeks or so before the next one begins. So HC18 would likely begin sometime in mid-August.

How often are the titles given?

Each cycle of the contest has a "gold medal" winner, and I'd like to award the CT to each of those winners. However, we tend to have a fair number of repeat winners; for example, the previous 16 contests have 10 unique winners. So a new CT wouldn't necessarily be awarded each time, though it's possible. With roughly a six week turn-over for the contest, that's the most often there'd be a new title request - every six weeks or so.

How many people participate?

HC16 (which was the first contest for 20th level characters - a lot of work) had 14 entries. HC15 had 10 entries. HC14 had 14 entries. I can go back further through the history, but to the best of my memory, that's pretty representative - between 10 and 14 entries.

I am trying to evolve a plan for how we give CT's and CA's etc so this is the perfect place to start the process. Thank you for being so patient. I here by award you a halo.

Will the halo fit over my horns?

Thanks for your help, Solice!

John Ling

Thanks for the info!

Very helpful.

I think the event is fantastic, not only is it great for those who participate but it also makes for great content on the forums.

If you could post the list of names for the people previous who need titles, what you would like the titles to be that would be great.

For this next CT award, when your ready for the titles I need you to make a post who was involved, link the thread of the event in the post, and list the winners. Also, let me know if there is anything that worked or didnt work for you with the event. This way we can all learn for future events.

Have I mentioned you rock? Thank you for running this!
Preferred Title: Hero Craftsman Gold Medalist

If that's too long -- Hero Craftsman

List of Previous Gold Medalists

jennibert
JasonOrlandoHawk
Heros_Backpack
TheChilliGod
DarkKitsune
Mercurius
wrecan*
Magus888
Dragoncat
Talisman

* wrecan already has a custom title; I don't know if you can give him two or not. If not, I think it's probably his choice which to go with.

~~~

Also, let me know if there is anything that worked or didnt work for you with the event.

Starting out, you need people who are willing to pour a lot of effort into the event, even though they'll see very little return on their investment early-on. But that early effort is what helps the event build momentum.

Advertise - I've been posting a link in my sig since the first one, and several other folks do the same thing. I also take any chance I can to mention the contest without going off-topic.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

Have I mentioned you rock? Thank you for running this!

Thanks for the kind words.

John Ling

* wrecan already has a custom title; I don't know if you can give him two or not. If not, I think it's probably his choice which to go with.

I would prefer to keep the custom title I currently possess rather than get a new custom title for having won a Hero Craftsman Competition.