About the Penny Arcade/PvP D&D Podcast.

195 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, I'm glad you finally released the new podcast series, this time with the charming Wil Wheaton, but I am seriously disappointed in the quality.

Specifically, the podcast ends by cutting off DM Chris Perkins mid-sentence. I understand it must sometimes be tough to find a good spot to end these things, but cutting it mid-sentence is harsh and even a bit rude.

DM: "At this point, we can all ro-"

Considering how long this has been in the pipeline, that's just poor.
Not the best editing, but to be honest, it kind of fits with the other Penny Arcade podcasts. It just starts and it just ends.
How often are they released? I'm pretty excited to listen to this whole adventure, but the waiting is killing me.
Not just editing, but the balance of the microphones was fairly poor, which made it hard to listen to.

That being said, I was really glad to have another installment to listen to!

Keep em coming!
The bad-guys are shifting away from the fighter without taking an attack!
The second episode is online now and even Wil himself gives the shoddy editing a (humorous) poke in the side at his webpage, ie...

The second episode of the Penny Arcade D&D podcast is online, so if you've been shivering with antici... pation since we rolled for initiative last week, grab yer boots and get ready to dance.

Not sure that is actually his intention so much as taking a line from Rocky Horror Picture Show.
The bad-guys are shifting away from the fighter without taking an attack!

Seriously. Scott Kurtz is like the worst 4e fighter ever. I don't know that we've ever heard him mark an enemy.
Glad I found this new podcast series (via the PvP feed.)

I never would have thought that minor (no insult intended!) celebrity gaming sessions existed nor would be fun and interesting to hear! I don't think I've bought a D&D product since the 3.0 Player's Handbook which I believe had an irresistible price point (and I don't think I ever played with it), but I am considering grabbing something newer soon, maybe the PH2 (which is probably what the makers of this series would love to hear!).

The sound seemed a little louder in this episode which was good, because I had to turn it way up on the first one. (Might just be my aging system.)

The page announcing each installment should link to a more specific forum or ideally discussion thread.

And I'd like to see some character stats. They might not mean much to me just yet, but I'm sure many listeners would enjoy them. If these are already out there, hopefully someone can point me to them.
The character stats are up somewhere. Someone linked them to me. They are nothing special. They are using premade PCs that came with the game, just with their own PCs names. Jim Darkmagic is just the human mage. They didn't roll ZOMG stats or anything.
The Penny Arcade guys are using premade PCs. Wil Wheaton rolled his up, he posted about it in his column on Suicide Girls. You can get to it from the blog post here.

Note that the link goes to WIl Wheatons Safe for Work blog site, not the totally not safe for work Suicide Girls page.

In any case, the relevant portion of his blog is:

[indent]My 4E experience started with character creation, which I did sitting on the floor of my office with pencils and paper, the Player's Handbook, and the Adventurer's Vault. I know there are online tools available to do it all for you, but I couldn't bring myself to use them; I'm an original analog gamer, man, that's just how I roll. (4d6 and drop the lowest FTW.) It took awhile because while I had read the books, I had never tried to use them, and there was some page-flipping while I wrapped my brain around the system. However, and this is crucial, I never got frustrated or felt bored. The process took some time because I had a learning curve and because there are several decisions to make, not because I was confused or because the rules were disorganized.[/indent]
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Anyone else not able to download the 3rd podcast? The page is up but the link is dead.
Anyone else not able to download the 3rd podcast? The page is up but the link is dead.

Same here.
Yup. A bit disappointed really. I was hoping to listen to it before I turned in for the night
Same thing. I was hoping to be able to take it home with me tonight, as I do not have internet at my house.
Yup, the third episode wasn't fully uploaded/copied and the file is only 1.5K instead of the full ~14.5M.

Perhaps one of us can find an email account to notify that will be able to remedy this? (Or we can wait for someone to notice these forum posts.)
I will do some poking...
The poking must have worked, cause iTunes downloaded it.
The poking must have worked, cause iTunes downloaded it.

GREAT SUCCESS! Your poking awoke the slumbering beast, it seems.
Guess you all enjoyed the third episode. I was ansy to leave for class and kept trying to download it to my iPod so I could listen to it in transit. I managed, and couldn't stop laughing at some points. It resulted in people staring.

A few side notes.

Wil's character name is Aeofel Elhromane. I dug around his blog comments and he states so. Wizards is taking the easy way out by going by his nickname "Al". Naughty naughty.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Chris had a wonderful, theatrical voice? Somehow his voice is just so impressive and perfect for storytelling.
I think callong Wil's character 'Al' was a bit of an inside joke that stuck. As you may remeber, Wil made a big deal about his character's name (Aeofel Elhromane), and when they resorted to just 'Al', Wil went on a tirade wth several expletives about how he tried so hard to come up with something they couldn't belittle, and they did it in two seconds.

BTW, Lahara is the same name as my female Tiefling Warlord. Funny.
I will confess: I stole it from Summoner. Summoner 2 more so. It just rolls off the tongue so wonderfully. In reality, there was a Indian Princely state called Pal Lahara. The Motu of Papua New Guinea call the south-east trade wind is also called lahara. It is also a repeditive melody used to accompany the tabla and the pakhawaj solo. All courtesy of the internet.

But I digress. It is a bit of a joke, yes, but they could have put "Al" in quotes since it's his forced nickname. That, and after listening to him say his name seven or eight times, I gave up and HAD to find out how it was spelt. Basically I didn't know what he was saying. Nice way to draw in the audience, Wil.

And I really wish there was a PvP and Penny Arcade comic for each podcast like the first time around. Their art is just awesome, and somehow I really get a feel for the characters. The podcasts are way too much fun, mostly since it's a bunch of very funny guys joking around.

As funny as the tuna was, I think I'll keep it on the side.
I will confess: I stole it from Summoner.

Yeah, same here. I figured as much
Ok I honestly haven't read through this whole thread, so someone may have already pointed it out or asked the question...but....

Why isn't Wil adding his proficiency bonus to his attack rolls with his weapon??

Is there something about the Avenger class that prohibits that?

And more importantly to me...is he so oblivious to other guys characters that he isn't asking himself "gee, why is it that I only add +4 to my attack rolls and my party members are all adding +6, +7 and even +9?"...

I'm not saying Wil is dumb or anything...I love reading his blog and stuff having grown up watching him on TV and having sons about the same age range as his....but...come on...

How about a little situational awareness dude??!
I don't think they aren't allowed, he just forgets because it's all written on paper. Not so much a character sheet, lined paper. He probably wrote it down somewhere and forgot about it. Like half his character level to rolls. It makes things tough.

He should have printed out a character sheet at the least and filled it out. It would have helped him greatly. But hey, Wil's still human, so he forgets. In a recent blog post he said he needed to reboot his positronic brain.

But what is important is he's having fun. Even when he has to send the naughty die to the off bag.
Why isn't Wil adding his proficiency bonus to his attack rolls with his weapon??

Is there something about the Avenger class that prohibits that?

And more importantly to me...is he so oblivious to other guys characters that he isn't asking himself "gee, why is it that I only add +4 to my attack rolls and my party members are all adding +6, +7 and even +9?"...

I was thinking the same thing.
My one thought at some point was that his powers were "spell-like" in that they don't allow you to add the prof. bonus of a weapon to the attack roll (like a warlock with a pact blade, IIRC). But then at one point he's reading through a power's description and says "keywords ... weapon" or "implement" or something that just rang a bell in my head.

I know it's all just for fun, and they're long since done with the session. But I really have to try hard not to scream into my headphones (at work no less) at him.
Guess you all enjoyed the third episode. I was ansy to leave for class and kept trying to download it to my iPod so I could listen to it in transit. I managed, and couldn't stop laughing at some points. It resulted in people staring.

I listened to it while riding my bicycle to work and the, um, tuna discussion made me lol, which got me a few looks from people I passed.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Chris had a wonderful, theatrical voice? Somehow his voice is just so impressive and perfect for storytelling.

Oh, I agree. He has a wonderful voice.

BTW, does anyone have a photo of the floorplan/dungeon tiles Chris pulled out when the party dropped down into the hole? Wil tried to describe it, but I'd still like to see it.
Oh trust me, that tuna bit made me glad I use Bumblebee brand. I had to bite down hard on my lip to stop laughing.

As for the floorplan, no. Chris didn't post it, and I think the others (Wil, PvP, or Penny Arcade) didn't post any photos as far as I know. Unless Chris used something like Dwarven Forge or the like, I'm pretty sure he used a combination of dungeon tiles and foam board. Maybe a combination of all of them? Making 1" models of colmuns and scaffolding out of foam board is time consuming but not impossible.

Jeez. That give me the image of them playing D&D with doll furniture and saying the tuna line. I guess you use what works.
Looks like Wil admits he forgot the proficency AND magic weapon bonus to his rolls. It added up to another +4. He realized this after the final encounter. He seems a bit embarassed. You can read his take of the experience (and where I learned how to spell his character's name) on his blog at: http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/

If I had handwritten all my character stuff (and I know I would be equally excited to play with everyone there and Chris Perkins as the DM) I probably would have made the same mistakes. I don't think Wil frequents this site so much and knew about the character builder at the time.
Yeah, poor Wil. I remember first playing the KotSF preview with friends and I couldn't work out where these extra +2's and +3's were coming from.

The proficiency bonuses are a little confusing when you first come to 4th, but they make sense (and I like them) once you've actually started playing.

I imagine Chris was too busy focusing on keeping the game on track to notice.

I *really* love these new podcasts, I think having them play through a custom adventure is a lot better than just a few encounters from KotSF, this way I don't know what's coming! :O

Who else thinks that Wizards should produce a special set of Minis for Al, Jim, Binwin and Omin? I know I do! :P
Are you kidding? I've been sitting at my lectures doodling Jim, Binwin, Omin, and Aeofel in the margins for weeks now. I'm not as good as Scott or Mike at drawing, but I keep picturing the scenes in my head. Especially when the guys joke around.

First crossbow man, in awe of the residual blue sparkles of Jim's magic, says "What is that?"
The other gapes a bit. "I think that's Jim Darkmagic..."
The first turns to his ally in shock. "Of the New Hampshire Darkmagics??"
The second points a nervous finger in Jim's direction. "Dude, they just got Darkmagic magicked!!"

Yeeahhh... I have too much free time it seems.
Hahaha, you should scan them Lahara, would be awesome to see!

I keep trying to get the motivation to do some Jim Darkmagic art myself.

I keep using the term "Darkmagic magic'ed!" wherever I can. Wil's voice was so excited! XD

I'm going to listen to the latest one again now!

OH, if you don't listen to the Penny Arcade podcast already check it out, in their latest one "The Old Ways" they talk about Mike's own game of D&D that he is running.
Who else thinks that Wizards should produce a special set of Minis for Al, Jim, Binwin and Omin? I know I do! :P

I second that, so very much. Especially if, rather than being "traditional" DnD minis, they were designed by Kurtz or Gabe.

Heck, I'd really be happy with a full comic detailing the in-character adventures of Acquisitions Incorporated through both of the podcasts.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
They're mostly margin doodles, nothing to exciting. Usually headshots (no room for much else) and the like. I did listen to that podcast piece, and how their joking around turned into a comic. Mike's voice sounded so different in that recording though, it took me a while to realize it was him (I mostly identify his voice with the D&D podcast since I don't listen to the PA one... until then.)

I just really, really wish that they had two comics per podcast like the first "season". Mike and Scott are awesome artists, and really capture their characters well.

Am I the only one hoping for the return of Splug? I think even James Wyatt had a soft spot for him. Also, another funny mini could be made of him. Just a very nervous looking goblin. I'd like to believe Splug survived the first podcast... but he seems to have vanished (although Fallcrest probably wouldn't allow him around.) Jim couldn't even remember his name!
Ok I honestly haven't read through this whole thread....

The whole thread, eh? You're on the first page, man. :D

Honestly, I will be genuinely surprised and disappointed if they don't do a small boxed set with minis.
I really like the podcast. In fact It got me to subscribe to the penny arcade podcast.

Also I really like an efficient podcast. A ton of extra stuff in it, like long intro songs and stuff like that, are, imho, not necessary.

So if it's done, finish it.

http://www.enworld.org

Stop by and say hi!

Am I the only one hoping for the return of Splug? I think even James Wyatt had a soft spot for him. Also, another funny mini could be made of him. Just a very nervous looking goblin. I'd like to believe Splug survived the first podcast... but he seems to have vanished (although Fallcrest probably wouldn't allow him around.) Jim couldn't even remember his name!

If you're looking for more Splugg action, check out the 4th ed actual play podcasts on rpgmp3.com, where splugg joins the team and gets a hilarous starring role. He's still there up to the end of Thunderspire Labyrinth!
Is anyone else only getting a 25 minute podcast for part 4?
If you're looking for more Splugg action, check out the 4th ed actual play podcasts on rpgmp3.com, where splugg joins the team and gets a hilarous starring role. He's still there up to the end of Thunderspire Labyrinth!

That's hysterical. In our game, we kept Splugg around as well. He travelled with the PC's to Thunderspire, and when we added a new player that wanted to play a rogue, Splugg got an upgrade from NPC to PC.
That's hysterical. In our game, we kept Splugg around as well. He travelled with the PC's to Thunderspire, and when we added a new player that wanted to play a rogue, Splugg got an upgrade from NPC to PC.

Funny you mention that... I sort of do daydream storytelling when I'm doing something monotomous. One that seems reoccuring (especially since I'm listening to the podcast over and over again for giggles) is of the game Penny Arcade, PVP, and Wil play but I'm sort of imagining it from a novel written form. I felt they really needed a rogue character because, let's face it, sublety is not thier strong point. Then I went "Wait, what happened to Splug?" So I pictured that Splug sort of got left by Acquisitions Inc to do his own thing, but he missed them. He found out they got to Fallcrest, but couldn't really get in due to his goblin-status. I kinda picture him sneaking into their makeshift headquaters, popping into view and crying out "Masters! I am so glad I found you!!" Hijinks ensue.

Also, new podcast up. Sadly a bit short, but I'm thinking alot happens in the next one. I think the metal jaws they talk about are the Scythejaw from the Demonweb set.

"Gnom gnom gnom gnom. Gnap! Gnap gnap!!"
Maybe the dwarf Sorek IS Splug!