Once upon time, an industrious forum member named trollbill created a Dictionary of Terminology. Then Sylvaroth produced Part II to that dictionary, updating it. With the new edition, I felt that a new edition of that thread should be started here. I have shamelessly plagiarized it, and will add new terms as they evolve here. If you have a suggestion for an edit or addition, please reply to the thread.
Hyperlinked Table of Contents
Definitions used in the Glossary are based on their common usage on this message board and thus may vary in meaning from other boards, sites or even common dictionary usage. Definitions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of WotC, its employees, associates, immediate family members or household pets.
The following criteria is used in determining the selection of entries for the Glossary:
- The entry should have a common use on these boards, i.e. terms used by local gaming groups that do not appear regularly on these boards do not qualify.
- The entry should have appeared on multiple threads and have been used by multiple users in a consistent fashion. Objective evidence of this, such as links to the pertinent posts, is preferable over subjective commentary.
- A term entry should have a meaning on the D&D message boards that does not match its common dictionary definition or its definition in the Core Rules.
- The terms should be specific to the D&D community in general, but not the community at large. Netlingo and lingo used in computer games are not to be included, unless it has a specific application to D&D.
- The entry should not violate the CoC.
- Terms that appear repeatedly with the comment “What does this mean?” are excellent candidates for the Glossary.
- Links should be relevant to the definition and should be to locations that are relatively static so as to prevent the need to constantly update the links. Also remember that links to a commercial web site are a violation of the CoC.
If you don't see an acronym or word, it might be because it is a general internet term, not a term specific to the game or these boards. You can find many common internet terms and abbreviations here.