Orzhov owns you!

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

So, I went ahead and made a 6th deck now.  Since I had The Big Three, I decided to go forward with an Orzhov control deck with an extort sub-theme.  Gave it a test run, seems legit, but I know there's always things I miss or could use, so I'm posting it here.  This is the first deck in a while that I've built from the start with good stuffs, but I tried to stick to the extort/token control themes.  So, opinions on how I did, and what I should try to improve?  Feel free, if you have time, to comment on my other decks in my sig as well.

General
Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Creatures(26)
Reya Dawnbringer
Magus of the Disk
High Priest of Penance
Palace Guard
Requiem Angel
Spelltithe Enforcer
Ashen Rider
Catapult Master
Sun Titan
Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon"
Treasury Thrull
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Visara the Dreadful
Stoneforge Mystic
Thopter Assembly
Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
Artisan of Kozilek
Fiend of the Shadows
Darien, King of Kjeldor
Hell's Caretaker
Triad of Fates
Obzedat, Ghost Council
Crypt Ghast
Phyrexian Revoker

Pontiff of Blight

Planeswalkers/Enchantments(10)
Liliana Vess
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Gideon Jura
Elspeth Tirel
Worship
True Conviction
Mobilization
Eldrazi Conscription
Blind Obedience
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

Spells(10)
Planar Cleansing
Miraculous Recovery
Demonic Tutor
Unburial Rites
Swords to Plowshares
Ashes to Ashes
Obzedat's Aid
Diabolic Tutor
Winds of Rath

Merciless Eviction

Artifacts(14)
Orzhov Keyrune
Scepter of Empires
Throne of Empires
Crown of Empires
Moonsilver Spear
Brittle Effigy
Argentum Armor
Gilded Lotus
Pithing Needle
Basilisk Collar
Skullclamp
Norn's Annex
Witchbane Orb
Nim Deathmantle

Lands(39)
Orzhova, the Church of Deals
Ebon Stronghold
Ruins of Trokair
Buried Ruin
Vault of the Archangel
Godless Shrine
Isolated Chapel
Temple of Silence
Swamp 15
Plains 16

I feel like Kongming should be Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. Keeping your opponent's fields clear of anything below 3 toughness is worth the extra three mana even if you don't care about the extra +1/+1 for your own creatures.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

I really like Ogre Slumlord for a Teysa 1.0 build. Allows you to get more value out of sacing stuff. Personally, I didn't like Teysa when I built that deck. I tried to make it Extort based but Obzedat is a much better choice for that build. Teysa needs token generators or she just sits awkwardly on the field. Kind of surprised you didn't go for the Sanguine Bond or Exquisite Blood angle as part of the Extort thing. Maybe I just love infinite combos too much. It's kind of a bummer that Extort is tacked on to such crappy creatures. It's a cool ability but noboy wants to be playing Thrull Parasite in EDH. Pontiff of Blight is pretty fun though.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Norin (Mono Red Suicide)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Perpetual:  if I can get another Elesh Norn, that would likely be a good idea.  My thinking was to go for cheaper boosts so I have the mana for extort more often.  You do bring up very valid points, though...particularly since one of my last opponents loved abusing Forgotten Ancient.

Smoke Stack:  Yeah, I should have mentioned that I know I need Pontiff...I need to get on our local 'Duke of Cardboard Crack' about getting me one of them.  I like the Ogre, and the Thrull...it's no Hex Parasite, but it seems nifty enough to stop an ultimate for one more turn...

Oh, and yes...you apparently love infinite combos too much.:P  Or I don't like them enough(read: at all).  Either way...lol. ;)

I just meant that it's not exciting to play a 1 drop in EDH, even if it sports your mechanic (Extort). The counter removal thing is... situation at best.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Norin (Mono Red Suicide)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Smoke Stack:  Oh, I getcha.  And as you said, the counter removal is iffy.  Besides, if I can keep my Pontiff out, there's no need for one drops just for the extort mechanic.  Probably focus on that and Hex Parasite for sudden life loss.

Jugulator X:  Coup may replace my Winds of Rath.  Elesh needs to be acquired.

Good. Also, another question, is there a strategy with Reya? or is she just there? If she isn't very significant, I'd replace her with a better angel like Akroma, Angel of Wrath or Avacyn, Angel of Hope. I feel like Avacyn should be in there regardless. Also try adding the new Theros B/W guy. Triad of Fates

Reya's there to recur creatures, particularly when I start saccing to Teysa.  Between her, Sheoldred, and Sun Titan, I can get a sizable number of things back each turn.  Akroma is in my Mayael deck, and Avacyn...well, my friends run some 'control creature' shenanigans, so I'm hesitant to run her due to the blanket effect.  Triad seems legit...I might consider it.

Yeah, triad is a good idea. I would still consider Avacyn, even with your friends control shennanigans. By control do you mean steal? or just like, make Avacyn pretty much useless? If steal, the Merciless Evictioncan be added to the deck for what I like to call "The Batman Effect", where you have an answer for everything in your own deck, in case they get stolen, as well as having answers for other decks.

Most often steal.  And while Eviction is indeed an answer, that's a football I am hesitant to put in my hands.  It's also one of the reasons I'm going for the extort sub-theme.  She will be in mind, but I've gotten by quite well without her in this or other decks thus far.

I understand. Avacyn is actually probably one of the most overlooked cards in EDH surprisingly. It's all up to you sir.

Great adjustments sir.