Elder Dragon Highlander [EDH] General-O-Pedia

54 posts / 0 new
Last post

Official Elder Dragon Highlander [EDH]
General-O-Pedia

Last updated: 4 September 2008

What is the General-O-Pedia?

The defining feature of EDH is that all decks must use one of a limited number of legendary creatures as a General for their deck – currently 432. Although some Generals are either banned, virtually unplayable or just poor tactical choices made obsolete by other Generals.

This thread is designed as an easy, quick-reference guide to the Generals of EDH. This thread will contain links to General [Archetype] threads and other EDH decks built around that general, as well as miscellaneous information about that General’s power, popularity and legality.

If you want to start an official [Archetype] thread for a General, post the link here and it will be added.

COLOURLESS

Show
Colourless Generals can prove a real challenge for even veteran deck builders because they cannot even contain basic land. However, this loss in flexibility is made up for in the raw power of the generals.

Bosh, Iron Golem
Note: This card cannot be used as a general because it contains mana symbols not found in its mana cost.

Karn, Silver Golem
Note: Karn is one of the most powerful generals in EDH.

Memnarch
Note: This card cannot be used as a general because it contains mana symbols not found in its mana cost.

MONOCOLOURED

WHITE

BLUE

BLACK

Show
Akuta, Born of Ash -

Ascendant Evincar -

Ashling, the Extinguisher -

Balthor the Defiled -

Baron Sengir -

Braids, Cabal Minion -

Cabal Patriarch -

Cao Cao, Lord of Wei -

Cao Ren, Wei Commander -

Chainer, Dementia Master -

Commander Greven il-Vec -

Crovax the Cursed -

Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder -

Gallowbraid -

Grandmother Sengir -

Greel, Mind Raker -

Haakon, Stromgald Scourge -
Note: Haakon is essentially unplayable as a general, his “Play Haakon from the graveyard” ability means that he cannot be played from the removed from game zone. You must first find some way to remove him, e.g. Death Wish

He Who Hungers -

Horobi, Death's Wail -

Ihsan's Shade -

Iname, Death Aspect -

Infernal Kirin -

Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni -

Irini Sengir -

Kagemaro, First to Suffer -

Kiku, Night's Flower -

Kokusho, the Evening Star -
Note: This card is absolutely banned for power reasons.

Korlash, Heir to Blackblade -

Kuon, Ogre Ascendant -

Kuro, Pitlord -

Kyoki, Sanity's Eclipse -

Lim-Dul the Necromancer -

Maga, Traitor to Mortals -
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1081407

Maralen of the Mornsong -

Marrow-Gnawer -

Mirri the Cursed -

Morinfen -

Myojin of Night's Reach -

Patron of the Nezumi -

Phage the Untouchable -
Note: Phage is essentially unplayable as a general, if you play her from the removed from game zone, her “comes into play” ability will trigger and you will lose the game.

Purraj of Urborg -

Seizan, Perverter of Truth -

Shauku, Endbringer -

Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker -

Sima Yi, Wei Field Marshal -

Spirit of the Night -

Toshiro Umezawa -

Veldrane of Sengir -

Visara the Dreadful -

Volrath the Fallen -

Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed -

Xun Yu, Wei Advisor -

Yukora, the Prisoner -

Zhang He, Wei General -

Zhang Liao, Hero of Hefei -

RED

GREEN

Show
Arashi, the Sky Asunder -

Autumn Willow -

Ayumi, the Last Visitor -

Azusa, Lost but Seeking -

Baru, Fist of Krosa -

Bounteous Kirin -

Daughter of Autumn -

Dosan the Falling Leaf -

Eladamri, Lord of Leaves -

Glissa Sunseeker -

Hua Tuo, Honored Physician -

Iname, Life Aspect -

Isao, Enlightened Bushi -

Iwamori of the Open Fist -

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava -

Jolrael, Empress of Beasts -

Jugan, the Rising Star -

Kamahl, Fist of Krosa -

Kaysa -

Kodama of the Center Tree -

Kodama of the North Tree -

Kodama of the South Tree -

Lady Zhurong, Warrior Queen -

Masumaro, First to Live -

Meng Huo, Barbarian King -

Mirri, Cat Warrior -

Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer -

Multani, Maro-Sorcerer -

Myojin of Life's Web -

Nemata, Grove Guardian -

Patron of the Orochi -

Reki, the History of Kamigawa -

Rhys the Exiled -

Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary -
Note: This card is banned as a general for power reasons.

Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro -

Sakiko, Mother of Summer -

Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant -

Sekki, Seasons' Guide -

Seshiro the Anointed -

Seton, Krosan Protector -

Shisato, Whispering Hunter -

Shizuko, Caller of Autumn -

Silvos, Rogue Elemental -

Sosuke, Son of Seshiro -

Thelon of Havenwood -

Thriss, Nantuko Primus -

Verdeloth the Ancient -
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1083597

Zuo Ci, the Mocking Sage -

TWO-COLOURED

WHITE-BLUE

WHITE-BLACK

BLUE-BLACK

BLUE-RED

BLACK-RED

BLACK-GREEN

RED-GREEN

RED-WHITE

GREEN-WHITE

GREEN-BLUE

THREE-COLOURED

WHITE-BLUE-BLACK

WHITE-BLACK-RED

BLUE-RED-GREEN

Show
Intet, the Dreamer -
Note: Intet is the only possible general for decks.
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1081285

BLUE-BLACK-RED

BLACK-RED-GREEN

BLACK-GREEN-WHITE

RED-GREEN-WHITE

RED-WHITE-BLUE

GREEN-WHITE-BLUE

GREEN-BLUE-BLACK

FOUR-COLOURED

N/A

FIVE-COLOURED

Show
The following Generals give you access to the entire Magic card pool. However, using these Generals purely for this purpose – picking the most powerful cards from each colour with no use for the General itself – violates the basic premise of Elder Dragon Highlander, which is first and foremost a casual format to have fun playing.

Atogatog -

Cromat -

Horde of Notions -

Karona, False God -

Reaper King
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1081895

Scion of the Ur-Dragon -

Sliver Legion -
Note: Sliver Overlord is almost strictly better as a General in Sliver decks.

Sliver Overlord -
Note: With its ability to search your library for both Sliver Legion and Sliver Queen, Sliver Overlord is the most obvious choice as a general for a Sliver deck.
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1081421

Sliver Queen -
Note: Sliver Overlord is almost strictly better as a General in Sliver decks.
I don't think you could easily arrange decks as "general = archetype".

For example, IoBG's Maga deck and my Oona deck are pretty much the same thing, yet they're listed under two completely different categories. In fact, I wouldn't even put my deck under UB - it has two blue cards in it. A deck built around Korlash would be pretty much the same too.

Multiple archetypes per general is just as common. I've seen two UG beatdown decks with Momir Vig, which have about 10 cards in common with my combo Vig deck.

Lastly, you have generals who simply don't have an archetype, such as most of the 3-color dragons. People tend to use those dragons when they have a 3-color deck and simply need a general for it. Often one of the dragons is the only available choice.

I don't really know how to arrange it though. When I saw this I first thought of cataloging the archetypes and then listing generals under their archetype, but you'd end up with basically the same situation.
Why not just let them this way??
This is as much to get an idea of how other people use particular generals as well as seeing which generals are more popular or simply inferoir than anything else.

It lets you pick your colours first, e.g. Black-Red, and then see what Generals are open to you.

This is a list in progress. If you want to write a brief note about any of the generals, e.g. "Momir Vig: Powerful general, can enable combos, etc." I can add those too.
This is beautiful. This needs to be stickied. Especially since my deck is linked....

Score
It would probably be worth mentioning on the list that Mishra is basically worthless in this format.
I suppose this would be the best place to ask.
Can you use the "flip" legends of Kamigawa as generals?
Not "officially" because they are not normally Legendary.
I tought the Errata made them legendary because at least one side was.
No cards have EDH specific errara anymore.

The cards are not Legendary Creatures when you are constructing your deck, so cannot normally be used as Generals.

508.2. In every zone other than the in-play zone, and also in the in-play zone before the permanent flips, a flip card has only the normal characteristics of the card.

No cards have EDH specific errara anymore.

The cards are not Legendary Creatures when you are constructing your deck, so cannot normally be used as Generals.

I see...
Sorry about that!
Just wanted to keep this thread in the upper corner...
Just wanted to keep this thread in the upper corner...

Agreed - can we sticky this?
Check out my Multiplayer Magic articles on the new site http://www.gatheringmagic.com/
Yeah, this needs to be stickied. It's just so useful.
I see that Iname as One has a space on this list, and indeed, Iname was my first pick for my first EDH deck, until I quickly realized that, although his second ability is great in this format, his first ability is pretty much null and void, as he's played from the RFG zone.

Unless I'm missing something?
I see that Iname as One has a space on this list, and indeed, Iname was my first pick for my first EDH deck, until I quickly realized that, although his second ability is great in this format, his first ability is pretty much null and void, as he's played from the RFG zone.

Unless I'm missing something?

You're unfortunatly right.
That leaves poor Iname as a bad choice in every existing format.
i'm surprised no one has posted a good scion of the ur-dragon list. my friend has one that just dominates. he runs crazy good mana accel, and gets it out by turn 4 almost always at the latest. turn 5 he swings, tutors nicol bolas, and you just lost. then he starts dragon mage on you. then the other planar chaos dragons. after which, he can tutor for patriarch's bidding and you just lost...

just curious

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Is Sedris, Traitor King from Shards okay to use as a general?

He do as some punch...
yes

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Rhys The Redeemed (Token Generation)
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1112674

Doran, the Siege Tower (Reanimation + Toughness)
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1112684

Jhoira of the Ghitu (Suspend + Land Destruction)
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1112689
Can we sticky this? This is such a great thread.
Needs updating for Conflux
I like this list alot. Bumpity bumpity bump.

Rofellos has been unbanned...
yeah can we please sticky this and keep it updated and go into more depth. It's a good resorce but could be much better
I see that you already have one, but I'd like to nominate my Arcum Dagsson thread, because it has a very focused theme, and could be an example of one Arcum archetype.
It would probably be worth mentioning on the list that Mishra is basically worthless in this format.

i think a note should be made on each of the Myojins that they aren't particularly useful as generals (seeing as they don't receive divinity counters upon entering play).

(ironic side note: my play group decided that Myojin generals are cool and therefore allow them to come into play with divinity counters.)
I would like to nominate my Empress Galina thread thingy, seeing as it's the only one I've ever seen. It started out fairly mundane, but it's coming together quite nicely with a solid theme. It's fairly unlike most of the other Mono Blue decks I've seen in EDH, so I think it's noteworthy.

Linkies!
I'm extremely interested in Jaya as a general, any threads I should look at?
This thread should be stickied, as it is quite useful.
I have a few questions about generals for EDH becuz im quite new at EDH. I am currently using Adun Oakenshield but im still debating with myself about wether or not i should use Kresh the Bloodbraided instead, as he is in my deck but not as my general. And i actually found that most people who beat me did it by dealing 21 damage with their general and Adun Oakenshield just doesnt seem to be cutting it. Plus, i had once apocolypse hydra on the field as a 12/12 and then it was killed the next turn (some card killed it...i can't remember the exact name though). If i had Kresh, he would of been pumped right up to 15/15 just then. And more to come. And that was in a 1-on-1 match so in a multi, he would be pumped to even more. So if anybody can help me decide on what i should plz do so. I also considered Darigaaz, the Igniter as a general. Plz help me.
Post your deck in it's own thread. This thread is not for individual deck help, that's what the rest of the forum is for.
Made a [thread=1172336]Sakashima[/thread] thread.
I've actually been sitting on this deck for a long, long time.
Hello, I'd like to put up a notice for my thread on niv-mizzet, the firemind.

It's a little bit more updated than the other ones. It seems like it could win a lot of games. (Although I havn't tested it yet.)

It has two subthemes which revolve around or play side by side with the massive draw theme. The subthemes are deck manipulation and alternate wincons such as reito lantern and tunnel vision, and niv-mizzet and mind over matter or ophidian eye.
my norin thread!

:evillaugh
Is there any chance of getting the OP updated with the Shards and Conflux legendaries?
Is there any chance of getting the OP updated with the Shards and Conflux legendaries?

Conall hasn't been in these forums since September. I almost think it's time for someone to copy paste all of his work and make some additions based on what others have said and the new sets that have come out (and come out in a couple weeks ^_^)

Correction: Conall hasn't posted since September, I guess he did update the rules when that happened, but he hasn't been staying on top of the other threads he's in charge of for unknown reasons. Hopefully, he comes back soon!
~James Fields T.O. & Judge. Check out the New Tournament Organizer's Handbook.
Rofellos in unbanned, please amend that note.

http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~geduggan/EDH_rules.html
This should be updated, it's really helpful ^_^
Ertai, the Corrupted

I am relatively new to the format, just to let you know, so mine may not be the best example...but hope it helps!