Phyrexian Highlander!

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

The deck pretty much speaks for itself, a 61 card highlander based around Phyrexia. Every nonland card mentions either Phyrexia or Yawgmoth in its name or flavor text. The question is, how will it play?

Edit: I figure I should explain how the deck is supposed to work. Like any Highlander deck, its a bit spaztic, but overall the strategy is that most familiar with Phyrexia - Suicide Black. Basically, I'm going to be sacrificing and paying life to try to gain and keep an advantage. At various prices, the deck can turn other resources into cards rather well. most cards (other than some creatures) can turn one resource into another

Life > Resources
Cards
Phyrexian Rager: Essentially, a Grey Ogre that cantrips for life. Black doesn't get the most efficient creatures.
Phyrexian Dever: Reanimates your best dead creature at the cost of life.
Phyrexian Gargantua: Rager's big brother, and actually quite a bit better for 6 mana, you get a substantial 4/4 body (not bad in black, really...) and a Night's Whisper.
Phyrexian Arena: An extra card a turn, at the cost of eating your life. Do I really need to discuss this one?
Creatures or Power
Phyrexian Scuta: An efficient 5/5 for 4. a mite slower than Negator, but 3 life is worth less than permanents.
Phyrexian Reclamation: Reanimates dead creatures for mana and life.
Lurking Evil: Pretty harsh cost for a 4/4, but if you're on the ropes, it gets easier. Half your life is worth it if you win or don't lose due to it.
Phyrexian Processor: This one's a calculated gamble: How much life can you afford to pay, when the reward is an endless stream of big creatures? Of course, being able to churn out 10/10s for 4 is impressive, but you need to survive until your next turn.
Hurtage
Urza's Guilt: A weird symmetrical Destructive
Phyrexian Purge: For when you absolutely need a Plague Wind and have life to spare.

Permanents > Resources
Cards
Reprocess: Turn spare lands, pacified creatures, and other detritus into a full hand
Life
Claws of Gix: You see all those things that eat my life up there? Yah, I figured they needed a little fuel.
Mana
Phyrexian Tower: Though its usefulness is arguable, it does give the option of a mana surge at the cost of a creature
Creature Power
Phyrexian Ghoul: Oh, look, Nantuko Husk's older brother. Really is shocking how many people underestimate this when it's attacking.
Phyrexian Negator: It's main drawback is that it will eat your board alive if they can block it or burn it.
Phyrexian Broodlings: Turn useless or dying creatures into permanent power boosts for itself.
Hurt
Phyrexian Denouncer and other Carriers: Turn creatures into kill, mostly themselves, but the Plaguelord can make anything a -1/-1 and is exceptionally dangerous.
Gate to Phyrexia: Artifact removal is pricey for black.

Recycling (Graveyard > Active)
In addition to Phyrexian Delver and Phyrexian Reclamation which cost life, Phyrexian Grimoire and Volrath's Stronghold reuse cards that have gone to the graveyard.

Regenerating Creatures
Unworthy Dead, Sanguine Guard, and Phyrexian Monitor can all cheat death at the cost of mana.

Something for Nothing
Phyrexian Walker costs while Priest of Gix returns its mana cost.

Other Conversions
Phyrexian Devourer: Library > Power
Skirge Familiar: Cards > Mana
Phyrexian Battleflies: Mana > Power

Other cards fill out the deck with evasive creatures, kill, and hand disruption.

Q: Dude, Why no YawgWin?
A: This deck rather lacks the ability to abuse it. Compared to its potential, it would be rather lackluster recycling. Also, I'm trying to not use banned/restricted cards.

Q: Why no Bargain?
A: I had intended to put it in for a while, no doubt I could use it effectively... But it's an act of good faith to use a Legacy Banned list in drawing the deck up... Heavens know Yawgmoth's name on a card is (Like "Time", "Mox", and "Lotus") A bit of a pointer towards broken or at least powerful.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

just a little bump...

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920