new to magic

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
hey everyone!

new to the forums and the game of magic.

After using a few friends decks for a few months I recently bought a bunch of cards and I'm working on my first deck.

i found some amazing creature destruction in my cards with:
Simulacrum
Gaze of the Gorgon
Walking Desecration

As for kill cards I'm looking at:
Gempalm Polluter
Soul Burn

basically i want the deck to play heavy creature control while i cause players direct damage. ideally as i'm busy controlling or destroying creatures i wanna be nicking away at there life totals. also because of gempalm, i need most, if not all zombie creatures. I do have a card called pestilence but I dont like the idea of my life and creatures being affected. but i thought about that card as well to replace gempalm.

I was hopeing to keep this deck pure black.
Hi
In terms of creature you want to be using cheap spells otherwise you will be overwhelemed before you can use them. To this end cards like Terror and Nameless Inversion are good. If you want to be dealing damage to them at the same time then a trerror effect attached to a creature is powerful, cards like Shriekmaw and Nekrataal (No idea if the spelling of nekrataal is right). A good finisher is Corupt and for creature control its younger brother tendrils of Corruption. Aside from this I won't make your deck for you, if you want more comments then I suggest posting a list and people will edit it and suggest new cards.
hey everyone!

new to the forums and the game of magic.

After using a few friends decks for a few months I recently bought a bunch of cards and I'm working on my first deck.

i found some amazing creature destruction in my cards with:
Simulacrum
Gaze of the Gorgon
Walking Desecration

As for kill cards I'm looking at:
Gempalm Polluter
Soul Burn

basically i want the deck to play heavy creature control while i cause players direct damage. ideally as i'm busy controlling or destroying creatures i wanna be nicking away at there life totals. also because of gempalm, i need most, if not all zombie creatures. I do have a card called pestilence but I dont like the idea of my life and creatures being affected. but i thought about that card as well to replace gempalm.

I was hopeing to keep this deck pure black.

Hi, and welcome to Magic!
It sounds like a good deck idea you have there.
Hi
In terms of creature you want to be using cheap spells otherwise you will be overwhelemed before you can use them. To this end cards like Terror and Nameless Inversion are good. If you want to be dealing damage to them at the same time then a trerror effect attached to a creature is powerful, cards like Shriekmaw and Nekrataal (No idea if the spelling of nekrataal is right). A good finisher is Corupt and for creature control its younger brother tendrils of Corruption. Aside from this I won't make your deck for you, if you want more comments then I suggest posting a list and people will edit it and suggest new cards.

He is right. If you're going to theme your deck around creature control and destruction, you'll need a lot of cheap destruction spells. Shriekmaw is awesome.
(It's Corrupt, by the way. And yes, you did spell Nekrataal right, XsaemarX.)
A buddy of mine pointed out that simulacrum wont work with Gaze of the Gorgon because gaze only destroys creatures that "blocked or were blocked by" and simulacrum only diverts the damage, so the creature didn't block , therefore no mass destruction >_< please tell me he's wrong.

as for other cards
infectious host to use simulacrum on
gemstone array seems like it will help make kills w/ soul burn as well as make things a bit more affordable
i'm thinking about vengeful dead but im not sure if its worth it.

thanks for the input, ill be looking for some cheap destruction and then ill post what i come up with :D
I am not sure what kind of combo you think exist between Gaze and Simulacrum.

You cast Gaze at one of your own creatures (which regenerates right then) and then Gaze destroy all the creatures blocked/blocking that particular creature.
Simulacrum allows you to "transfer" damage from yourself to a creature you control. You could use the gaze to save the creature you hurt with the simulacrum, but transfering damage from you to a creature does not make it blocking or blocked and thus there is no interaction apart from regeneration thing. So your friend is right

Try creating a complete deck, its easier to help you then.
Alright, I've realized that in an effort to keep 2 kill cards i was actually hurting the deck, so I cut gempalm and im moving away from zombie creatures (if i have to). I also have the need for green in this deck now, but im still trying to avoid any more non-black

the deck is no where near done, but here's what i have so far:

Artifacts:
3x Gemstone Array

Instants:
3x Burnt Offering
3x Cabal Ritual i figure this deck will hit threshhold easily, making these a better choice than dark rit's,
3x Simulacrum
3x Gaze of the Gorgon
2x Sudden Death
1x Last Gasp

Sorcery:
4x Soul Burn

Enchantment:
1x Seal of Doom

Creatures:

2x Mortipede I have 4 of them but I'm trying to limit non-black, as i wont get that mana from land
3x Walking desecration
4x Infectious Host

I am looking for a second way to kill, Gempalm was my secondary but if anyone has a better idea let me know,
I would take out the gemstone, burnt offering, cabal ritual, soul burn, mortipede, and the walking descetration. I would replace cabal ritual with dark ritual which is better in most all cases. When you can drop a hypnotic specter turn one, it is a heck of a lot better.

It looks like you're going with a genocide type black deck. I would consider mutilate and pestilence. I'm don't typically play black so I can't really give you pointers on creatures to use. You might want to consider splashing white for swords to plowshares and vindicate, which are probably the best creature removal in the game. It's not terribly difficult to splash another color. If you have the budget, pain lands from ravnica are really good. Godless Shrine would be wonderful if you did splash white.

I hope any of this helps you.
hypnotic specter with dark ritual turn 1 does sound appealing, but i don't have hypnotic specter (at least not yet)

Though i didn't want to include Pestilence, it seems like much more bang for my buck. and i just happen to have a play set in this pile of cards. im not willing to eliminate soul burn just yet. and I'm still trying to keep the deck mono colored.

Enchantments:
4x Pestilence
2x Paralyze for the creatures i cant kill
1x Seal of Doom

Sorcery's:
4x Soul Burn life gain, creature control, and a possible kill card, for now it stays, until i get Corupt
2x Ashes to Ashes damn good creature removal and i got Simulacrum to alleviate the pain of using it if i need to
2x unburden

Instants:
1x Last Gasp
2x sudden death
3x simulacrum eventually ill get a 4th one of these
2x Cabal Ritual

Creatures: (need some help here) trying to stay mono, so ill need regenerating creatures. these are just the ones I have. I'm looking for black or colorless protection from black, if it exists.

1x restless dead
2x drudge skeletons
3x unworthy dead
4x Infectious host most likely to be removed for Shriekmaw

Cards I don't have yet (ps: about how much will these cost?):
4x Mutilate
2x Dark Ritual ok ok, I'll meet you half way :D
1x Simulacrum
4x Shriekmaw
4x Corrupt to replace soul burn
The question of Dark Ritual versus Cabal is really a question of when you want to accelerate. IF your goal is a early game head start then clearly go with Dark Ritual, if the purpose is a huge finisher then go with cabal.
When do you want accel, in the beginning then go with 4 dark, in the end game, go with 4 cabals... If you want endgame shenaningans I might reccommend consume spirit

Also I think you overvalue Simulacrum. Rather have some damage spells than that I say.
Generally sacrificing board position for tempoary respite is a bad deal.

Much better to stop the creature hurting you than preventing its effect for a turn by further reducing your ability to defend your self.

let it go for a full set of last gasp. Also your focus on weak regenerators weaken your plan. You are an evil mage, you shouldn't be so afraid of hurting yourself, your creatures or anything else for that matter.

may I reccommend you take a look at the flavor tekst of dark confidant. Thats what Black is all about.

Also note this necropotence. This is probbly the most powerfull non-blue, non artifact card in magic*.

Black shouldn't protect itself. Black Converts is happy turning useless vitality into cards and other advantages.
*ok at least top 3
Latest update

Enchantments:
4x Pestilence
2x Paralyze
1x Seal of Doom
2x Strands of Undeath

Sorcerey’s:
4x Consume Spirit
2x Ashes to Ashes

Instants:
2x Sudden Death
2x Cabal Ritual
2x Dark Ritual
4x Terror
4x Last Gasp

Creatures:
4x Shriekmaw

im still trying to find good creatures to help the deck.
double
Here are some options...

For zombies/creatures

Festering goblin <----- Note his ability is not an option so hes usually best in decks with no other 1/1 creatures
carnophage<---- 2/2 for 1 negligible drawback
Shepard of rot <--- don't really matter if your dieing as long as you win ;)
Lord of the undead <--- Only good if you keep a zombie theme..
wall of souls <--- really can stop people from attacking letting you tap them to death with shepard or burn them out of the game...
Cabal coffers <--- Because everyone likes lots of mana
Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth <---- cabal coffers best friend also enables swampwalk (its legendary)
zombie master <----- gives zombies swampwalk ;)
black knight <--- Weenie
hand of cruelty <--- another weenie
Toshiro Umezawa <---- acts as card advantage if your using smother/last gasp/instant death/diabolic edict/dark ritual ... you get the idea (beware he is legendary though)
Miri the cursed <--- Flying, first strike, haste for the win (also legendary)

General advice
Dark ritual > cabal ritual
Circle of affliction <--- plays nice with pestilence
Hymn to tourach <---- Some of the best card advantage in black
Duress <---- Comes in handy more than you think
unearth <---- best reanimation spell ever printed for weenie decks ..
Smother <--- Good instant speed weenie hate
Instant death <----- uncounterable killing is always nice ...
diabolic tutor <--- find any card in your deck

Well there ya go some of the most useful cards to see print in the color black ... As a general rule I only use 1-2 legendary permanents in a deck depending on casting cost and how likely they are to die... Hopefully my ramblings give you an idea of whats out there for black and if you post another deck list I'll be more than happy to go over it and give you my 2 cents.
while i like many of those suggestions i don't have most of them >_< id like to start with at least half my deck already in my possession.

Enchantments:
4x Pestilence
2x Circle of affliction**
2x Unburden
2x Paralyze

Sorcerey’s:
4x Soul Burn
2x Ashes to Ashes
2x Macabre Waltz

Instants:
2x Sudden Death
2x Dark Ritual**
2x Cabal Ritual
2x Terror**
4x Last Gasp***

Creatures:
4x Festering Goblin****
4x Wall of Souls****
2x Infectious Host

Land:
2x Cabal Coffers**
18x Swamp

* marks how many of that card i need to buy. if anyone has a clue how much that will cost me let me know :D
* marks how many of that card i need to buy. if anyone has a clue how much that will cost me let me know :D

Most of the cards you need are commons and will cost 10-25 cents each most places. Dark Ritual will probably run about a buck apiece, while Circle of Affliction and Wall of Souls should be about 50 cents. Cabal Coffers will probably be about 5 bucks apiece.
OMG

i was going through my cards and found this combo

Any high power (5 or up is good)
Faceless Butcher Target my own creature
Death Pits of Rath just play it :D
Pestilence kill all creatures on the board with 1 point from pestilence, leaving myself with the only creature on the board :D, i get to hit with my creature with no risk to myself OR burn with Soul Burn (or its eventual replacement) or just be boring and finish off with pestilence :D

Edit:
i was looking around online and found Gleancrawler i think it will work well :D

So the current look:

Enchantments:
4x Pestilence
2x Simulacrum to use with Wall of Souls
4x Death Pits of Rath even if i cant hit the combo, people will be less willing to use their creatures.

Sorcerey’s:
4x Soul Burn
2x Diabolic Tutor
2x Unburden

Instants:
2x Sudden Death
4x Dark Ritual
3x Terror
3x Last Gasp

Creatures:
4x Faceless ButcherProtects GleanCrawler from pestilence or removes a problem creature from the game for a while.
4x Gleancrawler read the card! no explanation needed :D
4x Wall of Souls with simulacrum = HAH KILLED URSELF LOL :D
I believe that Simulacrum and Wall of Souls don't work together as you would like them to.

the damage to the wall of souls has to be combat damage andthe damage from the Simulacrum is not combat damage. read the offical ruling of Simulacrum.
He is right.

The damage that simulacrum deals is not combat damage. Note that simulacrum does not "move the damage". it gives you life and hurt something else. and since the simulacrum is not a creature in combat then it just hurts the wall without triggering the wall which only reacts damage from creatures in combat (ie "combat damage")
OMG
So the current look:

Enchantments:
4x Pestilence
2x Simulacrum to use with Wall of Souls
4x Death Pits of Rath even if i cant hit the combo, people will be less willing to use their creatures.

Sorcerey’s:
4x Soul Burn
2x Diabolic Tutor
2x Unburden

Instants:
2x Sudden Death
4x Dark Ritual
3x Terror
3x Last Gasp

Creatures:
4x Faceless ButcherProtects GleanCrawler from pestilence or removes a problem creature from the game for a while.
4x Gleancrawler read the card! no explanation needed :D
4x Wall of Souls with simulacrum = HAH KILLED URSELF LOL :D

Take out the simulacrum, death pits, unburden, faceless butcher, and glean crawler. The simulacrum is a card that makes you lose a creature in exchange for no damage to you. If you really want to prevent damage to you think about darkness, as it is much better. The death pits can be replaced with cheaper destruction like smother. Unburden is just horrible. With discard you either play quite a few or none at all. Throwing in one discard spell takes away from the synergy of the deck. If you do want a discard spell look at hymm to turach...if that's spelled correctly. It costs 1 less for a much better effect. They don't chose what to discard but it is at random so they don't know what's going to be pulled. Faceless butcher can be replaced with a better creature for less mana. Or even another creature destruction if that is why it's in the deck. Glean crawler is too much mana for a 6/6 trampler.

I'm having some of the same troubles with my black deck. I can't seem to find creatures that work well with everything else. I have helldozer in my deck as I run land destruction but helldozer costs 6 mana. I'm considering tombstalker as a good beater. It can come out maybe turn 3 or 4 depending on how many spells you've played.

I would also suggest running white with black. I said it already but swords to plowshares is one of the greatest creature removal spells in the game. It is somewhat cheap to buy too. The last time I checked it was running for 2 each online. If you did run white think about vindicate. I don't know about that though as it is running around 16 each.

Edit*
I just read simulacrum again. It is actually a life gain spell. The rules text says that you gain life equal to the damage dealt to you and simulacrum damages a creature you control equal to the damage. The damage to the creature becomes black because of simulacrum so maybe combine it with some creatures with pro black?