Psychatog+Cloudhoof Kirin Spirit deck

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a casual player just trying to make a few combos here and there. I just got ahold of 3 Psychatogs cheap, and I'm trying to put together a Spirit/Arcane deck that uses Cloudhoof Kirin and Psychatog together.
The basic idea is to use the Kirin to discard my own deck so that I will have as large a graveyard as possible by the time Psychatog shows up, and meanwhile to make Circular Logic a real pain in the face for my opponent.

As you may be able to see, the deck ain't quite finished yet... my question is, how can I make this deck viable, and what other cards are important to a Psychatog deck (this is my first.)
Alright, looking through my cards, I've got a bit bigger list of cards I'd want to include:

I've added the mana (give or take a few basic lands) and read up on the Upheaval combo, but right now I think it'll be a bit more original to use Petals of Insight in combo with Cloudhoof, with a bit more potential, also. Dreamcatcher is a nice inexpensive Spirit to activate the Cloudhoof, or can be played as an early blocker with a handy way to be disposed of when Cloudhoof emerges. Anger is only here to get discarded, so that Psychatog will poop out of my hand ready to go, and won't leave a whole turn of unexpected things to happen before I'm allowed to win.

What do you think?
.......bump?
anger only works when you control a mountain....
okay, how about lightning greaves then?
Get some dual-lands. You can use them in so many decks that it's a shame not to have them. You'd be able to throw the talismans out then.
You mean Tainted Isle? I've also noticed other mana-providers in various Psychatog decks, including Darkwater Egg and Underground River, which ones are best?
You mean Tainted Isle? I've also noticed other mana-providers in various Psychatog decks, including Darkwater Egg and Underground River, which ones are best?

watery grave.
while this might work then I think that you are better off building a trad. psychatog deck.

low-cost blue instants, counters and draw (akkumulated knowledge + gush for the budget minded dude, fact or fiction + intuition for the pro)

A copy of wonder
Some atogs, a touch of removal (smother/terror) and you should be good.
I've also noticed Memory Sluice from shadowmoor, a nice way to pump up the graveyard. Counterspell and Force Spike also seem like good countermagic.
Use Wonder so that your Tog will kill easier. Just throw it in the graveyard and the Tog has flying.

What do you think?

Also, if I play Psychatog whilst controlling an island and Wonder is in my graveyard, then I attack with the 'tog next turn, is there a way to remove Wonder from play to pay for Psychatog's effect without losing flying? Because otherwise, why bother?
because a flying atog wont be blocked as easily?
erm... a lot of the cards in here are turning out to be a bit pricey, particularly Watery Grave. Wonder and Lightning Greaves are also a bit above my limit (I don't want to spend more than $1 on a single card, except Psychatog, which I already have 3 of). Does anyone have suggestions of less expensive blue/black cards that give haste? I already own one Lightning Greaves, is there any practical way to get ahold of it quickly?

Shinen of Flight's Wings is an easier (and less expensive) way to give flying than Wonder, plus I already own about eight of them.
Ooh, forgetShiner, how about Deepchannel Mentor?
a 6 mana cc makes the mentor very slow. Faster just to splash red, give it haste, or justFling your atog.
nice. Maybe some Pili Pala (my favorite card from shadowmoor) could be useful in a tri color deck. I think I see an okay deck on the way...

Cloak of Mists, Protective Bubble and Steel of the Godheadwould all do the same job as the mentor card does right? And for a fraction of the cost.
I'm just starting to realize how many cards I had no idea existed...

Protective Bubble, Fling and Cloak of Mists are all excellent cards for the deck, the only question is which one do I use?

METHOD ONE (Flinger)
The easiest fastest (but most risky) combo is Psychatog plus Fling. Assuming I play a Pili-Pala on turns 2-4 and Cloudhoof Kirin on turn 5, and cards like Memory Sluice Petals of Insight and Ideas Unbound on turn 6 and 7 to fill up my own graveyard and filter my deck, I would have a single Psychatog and a single Fling amongst the cards in my hand at the start of turn 8.
Here's how turn 8 works:
Assuming I have 6 lands/Amulets by now, I play the Psychatog and attack with Pili-Pala, then before the attack is resolved untap Pili-Pala with two remaining mana, to add a red mana to my mana pool. I use Psychatog's ability to discard my hand (should be at least 5 cards in there) except for Fling, then remove my discard pile from play (should be at least 25 cards in there, +5 from my hand) to make Psychatog a 21/22 creature, and use my mana from Pili-Pala and my last land to play Fling for the win.

METHOD TWO (Cloaking Device)
Very similar to Method One, but takes one turn longer and doesn't require Pili-Pala.
Here's how turn 8 works under Method Two:
Again assuming I have 6 mana, I play Psychatog and Enchant him with Cloak of Mists, leaving one mana for a Force Spike or whatever. On Turn 9, I discard my hand and remove my graveyard from play (after playing my last Memory Sluice or whatever), then attack with an unblockable 20+/21+ Psychatog. Opponent dies.

METHOD THREE (Scrubbing Bubble)
The longest but safest method. I probably won't play it until much later in the game, since it requires more mana. This is a deck which would be greatly aided by Blood Pet, since I can store my mana from one turn to another. Thus this deck would most likely have the largest amount of Black cards, and I might throw in more black spells, especially Ghastly Demise. The goal is to have 7 lands/blood pets at turn 9. Then I use all my mana to play Psychatog and enchant him with Protective Bubble. Then I discard my hand, remove my discard pile from play, then attack with unblockable Psychatog and win.
I think I like method 3 the best. I cut out the talismans since I thought they'd be too slow to be effective.

I'd probably play Shadow Rift over any enchantments for evasion, as you can tutor for them easier (good tactic with a Wish board).

Running a single Wonder is also a sound tactic.
I see the benefit of Shadow Rift, but I know that if I use it, it will bring forth large amounts of frustration in my opponents for using such an outdated ability, and eventually one of them will get angry enough and make a deck of all creatures with Shadow. I'm not planning on using any tutors, just Ideas Unbound and Petals of Insight to rifle through my deck and find what I need.

As it is now, buying the deck costs $25.60 at http://www.mtgfanatic.com (before the cost of basic lands)
As it is now, buying the deck costs $14.68 at http://www.mtgfanatic.com (before the cost of basic lands and cards I already own. However, this is including two Psychatogs from a premade 'world championships' deck, which have golden edges and a different back. I intend to play the deck in sleeves)
it will bring forth large amounts of frustration in my opponents for using such an outdated ability

You realise that 'Tog is about 7 years old? And that there's been cards with Shadow in recent sets?

Anyhoo, FoF is pretty awesome with 'Tog.
yes, but they will definitely call it unfair and either refuse to play me or only play me with all-shadow decks, neither of which is very good.

Also, I discovered two handy little cards, Vivid Creek and Vivid Marsh, which cost about 70 cents each. I plan to slip 4 of each in.
Hrm, new conflicts popping up, new cards showing up everywhere that seem perfect for the deck. I need to go more in-depth with some of these cards...

Memory Sluice- effectively gives Psychatog +2.5/+2.5 (Including the spell itself, which is discarded) can be paid with one black or one blue mana.
Mental Note- Also effectively gives Psychatog +2.5/+2/5, but one of those cards goes into the hand. Can only be paid with a single blue mana, however.
Dampen Thought- once Cloudhoof Kirin is out there, play this and psychatog will get +3.5/+3.5, or play it as a more expensive memory sluice.

Blood Pet- a simple card; play a swamp and blood pet on turn 1, play an island and sacrifice blood pet on turn 2, and you have 3 mana. Each time you use its ability, Psychatog gets +.5/+.5
Dreamcatcher- a quick and handy way to feed Psychatog. Play it in the early game, and you can use it as a disposable blocker that can nab Psychatog +1.5/+1.5 with an arcane spell. Play it late in the game with cloudhoof kirin out, and you can play one after another, each time nabbing Psychatog +2/+2, whilst increasing hand size.
Oona's Gatewarden- an awesome way to slow down my opponent's attacks throughout the game. Nobody really wants their Mortivore to get -2/-2. The only creature being considered that has Flying. Does not work in tandem with Spirit/Arcane. Can be paid for with either one Black or one Blue mana.

Ghastly Demise- simple enough, play a memory sluice on turn 1, and you can destroy any nonblack creature in the game. But therein lies the rub; black decks will be very annoying. Also, this card does not actually help the Psychatog strategy directly, it really only slows down the opposition. It's worth having a sideboard card to replace this.

Ideas Unbound- cycle through my deck. Play it with cloudhoof to give psychatog +2.5/+2.5 or play it just before a final attack with psychatog to give him +4/+4
Petals of Insight
Sift through Sands- give psychatog +1/+1 or +2.5/+2.5 with cloudhoof.

[deck=Sideboard]4*Ghastly Demise
4*Blood Pet
6*Swamp
1*Wonder[/deck]
Debating with myself over whether or not to include Dark Ritual in the side deck. There's enough cards that cost black mana to make it worthwhile, and it could quickly help pay the mana cost of Protective Bubble.
Debating with myself over whether or not to include Dark Ritual in the side deck. There's enough cards that cost black mana to make it worthwhile, and it could quickly help pay the mana cost of Protective Bubble.

I'm against either Ritual or Bubble being in the deck - neither are good in 'Tog.
I can see ritual being a problem, but the bubble? How will psychatog damage the opponent?
I can see ritual being a problem, but the bubble? How will psychatog damage the opponent?

It's too expensive, and sorcery speed.

Wonder and/or Shadow Rift are much better, in my opinion, as Wonder costs zero, and Rift only costs 1, meaning you've got mana open for countermagic/whatnot.
yes, but all it takes is a single Suntail Hawk or Dauthi Cutthroat and I'm slowed by another turn. The plan here is that I will be cramming my graveyard full until turn 8 or 9, at which point I play both Tog and Bubble, and can actually put him to good use.

EDIT: Found more cards again. Dredge is a nice ability, which means Stinkweed Imp, Darkblast, Dakmor Salvage and Golgari Thug are good cards, too. Would they fit into the deck, though?
Rite of Consumption (SHM) might be a good, on color replacement for Fling, ditching the instant speed for life gain. You also lose the ability to target a creature with it, but thats not too much of a problem in a win-con.
yes, but all it takes is a single Suntail Hawk or Dauthi Cutthroat and I'm slowed by another turn.

That's what countermagic and removal are for - you are playing Black and Blue, yes?

Alternatively, splash red for Fatal Frenzy to trample over any blockers they might have.
Okay, Rite of Consumption it is.

[deck=Sideboard]4*Ghastly Demise
4*Blood Pet
6*Swamp
1*Wonder[/deck]

I think this makes the Plan B deck (where you add a bunch of black cards and take out some blues) more viable as well.