how to make Jund deck better?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
i recently bought the Jund premade deck and i'm wondering what i can put in it to make it better and faster. I only play casually so i'm not to worried about remaining type 2

thanks
Get another one to increase consistancy.
I'm a big fan of the Jund card interactions so I recently built a Jund deck myself. Hopefully the experiences I've had with my deck in my casual playgroup will help you out somewhat.

First things first, one of the most sinister things at work in Jund is all of the graveyard synergy. Hissing Iguanar, Rockslide Elemental, Scavenger Drake and my beloved Shroudigator can all put on some heavy pressure mid-to-late game. They're a little expensive (manawise) but they're pretty well worth it if you play your cards right.

This brings me to a rather significant discovery I made early on in my Jund exploits: devour is nowhere near as good as you think it is. Granted, the devour creatures are big beasts with good effects that could easily win you the game. The problem is that they mostly fail to Oblivion Ring, Shriekmaw, etc. They require too much investment in one creature that is too easily undone.

Again I'd say that the "things dying matters" theme has the most potential in Jund. That said, our good friends over at Grixis have some excellent cards to support the theme. Bone Splinters and Fleshbag Marauder are great cards for helping to control the board that give extra bonuses to you for killing two creatures (one of yours and one of theirs). Shriekmaw is also really good here as it can be evoked to do the same thing OR can straight up kill a creature and stick around for some evasive damage.

I assume you're on some sort of budget, but if you ever get your hands on a Sarkhan Vol don't hesitate to add him to the deck. Since you're likely to use cards to make lots of tokens (Dragon Fodder, Sprouting Thrinax, Goblin Assault) giving each of your creatures a power boost can cause a massive game shift. His second ability is also good for stealing an opponent's creature and sacrificing it to some effect that will kill a second of their creatures.

I think I've probably rambled on long enough, but in summary:

Good:
-Things that care about things dying (personal recommendations: Algae Gharial and Hissing Iguanar)
-Things that make many creatures (i.e. Dragon Fodder)
-Things that kill one of their creatures at the cost of one of yours (i.e. Bone Splinters)
-Possibly some cheap unearth creatures, allowing you to reuse creatures both for attacking and sacrificing (i.e. Dregscape Zombie)

Bad:
-Devour Creatures. Too much disadvantage.

These tips are, again, based off of my experience with a very particular playgroup, but I've been quite happy with the interactions of many of the cards I listed.

Good luck, I hope this helps!
Just one thing: To make your big Devour creatures better, use Lightning Greaves. The shroud effect helps, it gives them haste, and its quite cheap.
I have pretty good success with my Jund deck.
I made it to produce lots of tokens w/ dragon fodder, goblin assault with Ooze Garden, Necrogenesis, Sprouting Thrinax.
Once I got all my tokens out(the ones who weren't sacrificed to Bone Splinters) I'll bust out the Caldera Hellion, Predator Dragon, Mycoloth. If I drop the latter of the three I usually have 2 or 3 blood cultists out as well and i pump them up from putting my own or other creatures to the grave yard.. then all that bumps up the Rockslide Elemental. I make it so everything has a chain effect to benefit each other.

I would like to add that Hissing Iguanar is a great card to have for all the action going on here because there's a lot of creatures(tokens especially) hit the grave yard. If i can keep at least one iguanar on the board with all the sacrificing action going on i'm doing 2-3 and sometimes up to 5 or higher damage to my opponent just with my creatures being sacrificed.
Just a note on the inherant drawback of devour, the card disadvantage is easily offset by both Skullmulcher and Tar Fiend. Also look into picking up some Torrent of Souls as following up a killed Sprouting Thinax by reanimating it this way is a good 14 damage on it's own.

Outside of standard, Spawning pit is Jund's friend, as is Grave-Shell Scarab and the Zubera cycle. Also see if you can aquire some Harmonises (could be slightly pricey), as jund is overly fond of 'ready, fire, aim!' tactics and the ability to reload is always good.
Hi everyone, here's what I use in my Jund deck

[u]SPELLS & ARTIFACTS[/u] (Total : 22)

- Grave Pact X 2 (helps you keep the board clean of creatures)
- Bone Splinters X 3 (with Grave Pact, awesome)

- Naturalize X 3 (need something to get rid of artifacts and enchantments)
- Overrun X 3 (alternate way of killing enemies if they get rid of your 14/14 Predator Dragon and you have lots of token)

- Dragon Fodder X 4 (Goblins with a "divine" purpose)

- Terminate X 3 (direct monster removal if Grave Pact is not sufficient)
- Necrogenesis X 2 (another way to make tokens)
- Lavalanche X 1 (that's just too cool of a spell against a token heavy deck)

- Feldon's cane (It's never cool to lose the game because you have no more card to draw)

CREATURES (Total : 22)

- Kederekt Parasite X 3 (not a devour card, but it's just too cool)
- Deathgreeter X 3 (Never enough life)

- Birds of Paradise X 2(Mana, mana, mana) (would use 3, but only have 2)
- Mycoloth X 2 (tokens, tokens, tokens) (would use 3, but only have 2)
- Seedborn Muse X 1 (Had to fill for the missing Bird and Mycoloth, just a cool creature to have)
- Elvish Piper X 1 (Again, had to fill for the missing Bird and Mycoloth, just another cool creature to have)

- Hissing Iguanar X 3 (Damage, damage, damage)
- Predator Dragon X 3 (That's the Killer creature in this deck, eat as many tokens as needed to kill, attack and kill)

- Sprouting Thrinax X 4 (Good blocker and if it goes to the grave, 3 more blockers that can be devoured)

LANDS (Total : 22)

- Swamp X 6
- Forest X 7
- Mountain X 7
- Savage Lands X 2

I know it's not an orthodox deck (66 cards total instead of 60) and I don't have full playset (4) of each card, but it has worked out pretty well so far.

If anyone has any idea as to make my deck better, feel free to share it with me (us)

Naladrea
- Bone Splinters X 3 (with Grave Pact, awesome)

No it's not, with the way the rules work, bone splinters goes on the stack and then the grave pact triggers above it and as such will resolve first. Your opponent will just sac the targeted creature.

But Fleshbag Marauder, now that's a GP combo.
Are you sure about that?

The way I see it (I might be wrong tho) is that you pay the cost for Bone Splinters (including sacrificing a creature), which triggers Grave Pact.

Bone Splinters goes on the stack.
Grave Pact goes on the stack over Bone Splinters.
Grave Pact resolves, each opponent sacrifices a creature.
Bone Splinters resolves, destroy target creature.

Naladrea
The problem is that bone splinters target is locked in when you play the spell, not on resolution, and certainly not after grave pact resolves, so they'll just sac the creature you targeted and splinters will fizzle for lack of target.
Grave pact may not work with bone splinters, but it works well with devour. Each token you devour forces your opponents to sac a creature.
57092228 wrote:
It is not logic: it's Magic.

1. Fix that mana

Try to get at least 2 more savage lands , and if you want to keep it budget, some borderposts to fix your mana . You are trying to cast things with 3RRR, 1BBB and RBG in the same deck.

2. Cut jank

Take out the bone splinters , add 1 terminate.
Take out the cane ( how often do you actually use this ?)

3.Focus more
Try replacing the naturalise with vithian renegades, as you can sack these to a devour creature. If you are frequently facing enchantments, disregard this advise.
Are you sure about that?

The way I see it (I might be wrong tho) is that you pay the cost for Bone Splinters (including sacrificing a creature), which triggers Grave Pact.

Bone Splinters goes on the stack.
Grave Pact goes on the stack over Bone Splinters.
Grave Pact resolves, each opponent sacrifices a creature.
Bone Splinters resolves, destroy target creature.

Naladrea

You have to announce your target upon playing the spell, hence your opponent will know which creature you intend to destroy, so they can just sac that one and save themselves the trouble.

Yoke of the Damned, on the other hand...
First things first, one of the most sinister things at work in Jund is all of the graveyard synergy. Hissing Iguanar, Rockslide Elemental, Scavenger Drake and my beloved Shroudigator can all put on some heavy pressure mid-to-late game. They're a little expensive (manawise) but they're pretty well worth it if you play your cards right.

The Shroud on Algae Gharial is nice (I'm another fan of the Jund subcycle), but I prefer Rockslide Elemental. The mana cost being cheaper makes a BIG difference in speed, especially since it means it will be around to see creatures dying sooner, and the first strike is devastating when it gets really big. But the bounce protection on the gator is certainly excellent.
I'm sorry guys but you've dropped one card that make me win so many times and is just perfect for deck of fat creatures (or jund ) --> Soul's Fire