Best board sweeper and why?

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm looking to build a aggro/control deck and I'm in need of a board sweeper.

I dont have any colors in mind as of yet, but I'm thinking/knowing it is gonna need a board sweeper. I turn to you people to rate and give opinions on which one is the best.

I would give out examples but I'm new to MTG and the only ones I know are Wrath of God and Damnation, but I know there has to be more out there and I do know that I dont really want to run .

Please help people.
Colors*?

If you're running mass removal in aggro/control, I think it's safe to say that you're running a slower deck more on the controllish side, so with that in mind,

Pernicious Deed, Powder Keg, and Pyroclasm/Breath of Darigaaz are all fine choices.

*I'm an idiot, howdy-hoady-hey.

You should probably decide on colors + solidify gameplan before looking for mass removal.
"Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty. " - Sicilian proverb
Pyroclasm, Obliterate, Desolation Giant, Sulfurous Blast, Massacre
If you want a good board sweeper, you're going to need to run red, black or white. Black and white have the only good "destroy all creatures" board sweepers, but red has the "this deals X damage to each creature" board sweepers. Choose what sort you want and enter either "destroy all creatures" or damage to each" into Gatherer.
Puppet's Verdict - Not the best tough.

Endemic Plague - Might be decent in tribal. Shapeshifters!

Breaking Point - Again not that great.

Gaze of the Gorgon - What do you expect?

Sunscour - The best of the ones listed, but it's white.
Colors*?

If you're running mass removal in aggro/control, I think it's safe to say that you're running a slower deck more on the controllish side, so with that in mind,

Pernicious Deed, Powder Keg, and Pyroclasm/Breath of Darigaaz are all fine choices.

*I'm an idiot, howdy-hoady-hey.

You should probably decide on colors + solidify gameplan before looking for mass removal.

Well I do have 4- Spiritmonger so maybe I will play , and the Pernicious Deed seems pretty good.

Is it worth looking into and how much do you think it will run (cash wise)?
Well I do have 4- Spiritmonger so maybe I will play , and the Pernicious Deed seems pretty good.

Is it worth looking into and how much do you think it will run (cash wise)?

Well, Pernicious Deed + big dudes is one of the bases for one of the original Rocks, and is currently in one of the top Extended decks, so yeah I'd say it's worth it.

Deeds are pretty expensive. The rest of the deck can be reasonably cheap for casual, especially if you already have 'Mongers for the kill.
"Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty. " - Sicilian proverb
MOTC(Magictraders.com) lists Pernicious Deeds as $8.27 on average.

So I'd say if you were looking to buy them online you'd probably see prices ranging from $10 to $15.

Plague Boiler could work in a budget deck as well.
Well, Pernicious Deed + big dudes is one of the bases for one of the original Rocks, and is currently in one of the top Extended decks, so yeah I'd say it's worth it.

Deeds are pretty expensive. The rest of the deck can be reasonably cheap for casual, especially if you already have 'Mongers for the kill.

Great, thanks.

Rock huh, I will look around for a skeleton and see what I can come up with.
Culling Scales isn't the absolute best, but it's notable and dirt cheap. You could easily place them in a Rock deck, using Sakura-Tribe Elder to accelerate into fatties. You'll destroy a lot of their stuff before the Scales turn back on you.
IMAGE(http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/4E/en-us/Card2061.jpg)
Because it exists.
Great, thanks.

Rock huh, I will look around for a skeleton and see what I can come up with.

"The Rock". As in The Rock and his minions.

Wait...

[C=Deathspore Thallid]The Pebble[/c] and his minions! W00t! New archetype! :rolleye2:
The best are wrath, damnation and balance
i've always enjoyed decree of pain in casual can also work in competetive but would mostly be use for its cycling as an uncounterable board sweep
Final Judgment is one of my faves, kills graveyard tactics and indestructability. Rout is good in a deck with acceleration, in a multiplayer game instant WoG is awesome, especially because people won't attack you if you show the card. The original WoG and its shifted buddy damnation are of course the best; cheap, simple, effective.
This is my favorite mass removal spell...

This is it's little brother...
MOTC(Magictraders.com) lists Pernicious Deeds as $8.27 on average.

So I'd say if you were looking to buy them online you'd probably see prices ranging from $10 to $15.

Maybe I'm not a math expert but I can't see any way numbers from 10 to 15 averaging to 8.
Maybe I'm not a math expert but I can't see any way numbers from 10 to 15 averaging to 8.

I'm in your thread, not understanding the price disparity between player-sold cards and shop-sold cards.
The Ferrett posted a very cool article on board sweepers here:

Living in a (Wrath of) Godless World
Akroma's Vengeance has yet to come up...
They say that life's a carousel, spinning fast you've got to ride it well, the world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's heaven and hell, oh well!
I like Flowstone Slide this is one of the few that can kill indestructible creatures
mutilate, final revels in standard, hail storm in green.
I'm in your thread, not understanding the price disparity between player-sold cards and shop-sold cards.

Precisely my point, thank you.
Mutilate, Oblivion Stone, Pernicious Deed, Wrath of God, Damnation, Balance, Akroma's Vengence, Engineered Explosives, Powder Keg.
A while ago I found a combo with Spirit Mirror and Shields of Velis Vel. If you don't mind it being a two card setup, it can be a really cheap way to do a one-sided creature wipe, multiple times if you have some flashback generators.
magus of the disk

engineered plague vs tribal

but nevinyrrals disk is probably the best, although its not limited to creatures

if you knew which color your going to use it would help focus the suggestions
If you're going G/R you can try out Kindle the Carnage with Vigor and any other creature out on the board (like Elvish Piper and Orcish Lumberjack to help bring out the vigor asap).

With a single Vigor in play it'll most likely die from any creatures with massive casting costs in your hand that you have discarded. However the amount of damage that dishes out from your kindle will get prevented to your other creatures during each damage iteration which instead becomes that amount of +1/+1 counters on your piper and lumberjack.

According to kindle's rules, even if Vigor would be dealt lethal damage from the first iteration, it'll still stay around for all the other damage iterations until the very end. So your piper and lumberjack would continue to gain more counters while all your opponent's creatures would be dealt that much damage. So if you get for example Borborygmos discarded, he alone is 7 casting cost, so 7 damage to all creatures you don't control and your other creatures get +7/+7.

A gruul type combo that sweeps the board for you and lets you attack with pumped up creatures all in the same turn. Now if you have two vigors out at the same time when casting kindle with a good-sized hand...
Breaking Point - Again not that great.
QUOTE]

its awesome in a mono red burn deck. as they're usually low on life and require creatures to win.

also savage twister combines earthquake and hurricane

starstorm can always be cycled if they have no creatures

molten disaster or squall line for standard

Jiwari, the Earth Aflame or Arashi, the Sky Asunder can both beatdown if not required to kill. plus reusable
Now if you have two vigors out at the same time when casting kindle with a good-sized hand...

Unless you're in a weird game, you should have won by now
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it