Editorial Moderation Request thread

As stated a couple minutes ago, I think that having a public place to request things of the VCL's as well as having a public area to communicate about changes that you do/don't like that have been done seems like a good idea for the time being.

I'll subscribe to this thread and forward the requests on as I get them. I'd also like to ask that we all provide as much info as possible when requesting Editorial stuff that we want done (so far everything I've gotten has been very good). For example, if you want a thread moved please make sure you say where it should go. Same for merging, please list both the threads that are involved, that just makes it faster/easier for each level involved.

Thanks! Keep on rockin', you all are amazing. Really.
MTGO SVCL - Ask me for help if you're lost or confused!
I sent you a PM earlier with a request, so I won't duplicate it here. ;)
Batteries not included.
Please move this thread to MO V3 Technical Issues as it directly relates to V3: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=15159557

Thanks.
Batteries not included.
*smacks his forehead* Now why the heck didn't I think of putting my version of this thread in the Metaboard?

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

*smacks his forehead* Now why the heck didn't I think of putting my version of this thread in the Metaboard?

See, the problem with playing paper magic is the pants restrict blood flow...
Thank you, Erik.
Please move this thread to MO V3 Technical Issues as it directly relates to V3: http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=15159688&postcount=1
Batteries not included.
If you want, maybe we could merge the FL irrelevant thread: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=994695 with this thread. That thread seems like it would be a subset of this one.

... or not.

ZXY
I can't spare a moment for the dog faced boy I won't lend another hand to the worm girl of Hanoi Don't deplete my oxygen for the guy who's turning blue But ask me, and I'll do anything for you

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Bussy is sad there is no meta board for Community...unless you count the Rec Room

*ponders*
Do people in the MTGO General forum know that hamtastic is our VCL now? It seems like there should be an announcement in General so people know who to talk to if they have a question or want to report something. Or possibly there should be a stickied thread at the top of the General Forum, listing the VCL's and FL's for the forum.

For some reason, a lot of this type of information seems hard to find.

ZXY
I can't spare a moment for the dog faced boy I won't lend another hand to the worm girl of Hanoi Don't deplete my oxygen for the guy who's turning blue But ask me, and I'll do anything for you
See, the problem with playing paper magic is the pants restrict blood flow...

See, the problem with playing Magic Online is[forum=734]...[/forum]

;)

See, the problem with playing Magic Online is[forum=734]...[/forum]

;)

I was totally going to get you back but I couldn't find the "Some Other Players Stink" forum over in your part of the boards.
Batteries not included.
Please consider merging these two threads:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=995823
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=991011

They're pretty much the same topic and almost everyone that's posted in the smaller thread is also posting in the large one, so I don't think they're both needed.

Maybe you've already considered this and rejected it since they've both been up for awhile. If so, nevermind...

ZXY
Requested.
Please sticky the MO V3 server status thread: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=989467
Batteries not included.
Any way our VCL can access the MO V3 Announcements and perhaps keep it more up to date than it is now? Or give someone else that ability?
Batteries not included.
Any way our VCL can access the MO V3 Announcements and perhaps keep it more up to date than it is now? Or give someone else that ability?

Very good point Skull, I will look into this!
I was thinking about this post today from MTGO general:

I'd see it as a sign of health if there were fewer posts in Magic Online General or Boards Business, and more in the game play areas (Decks to Beat, MTGO casual decks, strategy and combos). The happier people are with the game, the less they will be focused on the non-fun aspects of the game. (I lump trading and price issues in as part of playing the game).

There are a lot of threads in General that could go into one of the subforums. How would that be?

It's tradition that virtually any topic that anyone want to discuss about MTGO gets dumped into General. I think it must have been a decision that was made by the Boards' team early on not to have strict content requirements for each forum.

I think the way we do things now works okay, though some threads do seem to get pushed to page 2 a little earlier than they deserve. And if it's a popular topic, getting pushed to page 2 often means a new thread will be started if the same topic comes up again, adding to the pressure of stuff getting pushed back.

Hmm... I'm not sure what would be better. I can, however, guess the initial reaction if dozens of threads starting moving out of General. But, after people got used to the idea, maybe it would be better?

Nope, not sure.

z
By my count there's at least 10 threads on the first page that could arguably go in other forums. I know that people would complain about a change, though, but maybe it would be good for the long term... .or not.

z
I just put in a couple of requests to move some threads to the MTGO Events forum.

Personally, I'm a fan of putting things where they should go, so long as there's enough critical mass to support them. Meaning moving a thread discussing the card market prices stuff could theoretically be moved to the Marketplace where discussing prices may fit, however, that forum doesn't get much activity beyond 'looking to buy/looking to sell' and the discussion would likely die out due to not getting enough pull from enough threads.

I know that this was a concern with the PRE's when they were moved, but I'd call them a great example of critical mass keeping things moving. Ditto with V3/Technical issues. Concern, anger, then, actual usage (although much lower than MTGO General).

So, yes, if things can be moved and will survive, I'd say recommend them for moving. But if they won't survive the move then I'd personally be sad that the topic got killed for the sake of unwavering rules. But then again, I'm sleep deprived... so this may not make as much sense as I think it does... I'll double check tomorrow...
I just put in a couple of requests to move some threads to the MTGO Events forum.

Personally, I'm a fan of putting things where they should go, so long as there's enough critical mass to support them. Meaning moving a thread discussing the card market prices stuff could theoretically be moved to the Marketplace where discussing prices may fit, however, that forum doesn't get much activity beyond 'looking to buy/looking to sell' and the discussion would likely die out due to not getting enough pull from enough threads.

I know that this was a concern with the PRE's when they were moved, but I'd call them a great example of critical mass keeping things moving. Ditto with V3/Technical issues. Concern, anger, then, actual usage (although much lower than MTGO General).

So, yes, if things can be moved and will survive, I'd say recommend them for moving. But if they won't survive the move then I'd personally be sad that the topic got killed for the sake of unwavering rules. But then again, I'm sleep deprived... so this may not make as much sense as I think it does... I'll double check tomorrow...

I agree that a thread getting killed because it's moved would be bad. There are a lot of threads dying out by falling off page one, though, because other threads that could be started in a more appropriate forum are started in general instead.

I think it's hard to say if the end result would be good or bad. For example, if all threads discussing events and prizes got moved to the Online Events thread, would that forum get more traffic? Or would the threads just be forgotten?

Same thing with your marketplace example. Would those threads find an audience if they were moved, making Marketplace more than just buy/sell ads? Or would they just be ignored?

If you do decide to do something with this, I'd suggest focusing on a forum at a time. For example, you could get all the threads about online events moved (including announcements from WotC) and see how that goes on a trial basis.

A wave of pessimism just washed over me and I'm thinking that a lot of people would just complain of WotC censorship or something.

z
Here's all the threads that could be moved -- these are just off of page 1 and account for just under half the non-stickied threads on the page:

Whats your favorite mana-fixer, mana-accelerator or mana booster card in MTGO?
will extended rotation effect basic lands
A new way to play.
Lightning bolt versus terminate -- are both worth it? to Card Strategy and Combos

Morningtide Release League Entry $$$
Prizes for Morningtide Release to Magic Online Events

How many bots out there post prices on the web
Momir Avatar -- Availability??
Market Economy to Magic Online Cards Marketplace

Is 'Yield to Triggered Activity' hot-linked? to "How do I..."

I'm most definitely NOT saying all these threads should be moved. I'm just wondering what if they were? How would the Boards be? There would obviously be a lot of complaints over the short run, but would things be better over the long? Would this be the kind of thing to start implementing before v3 is released to cut down on General forum chaos?

z

Sorry to post three in a row, but I just wanted to mention that they moved those threads you requested, but they didn't leave moved links. If they're going to be moving threads, those links are more important than getting the threads into the right forum.

z
Hamtastic,

I cannot change the MO General Server Status thread title to reflect the updated date of 3/3/08. I can change my first post's update, but it doesn't show that way on the forum page. Is this something that you can adjust?

Thanks.
Batteries not included.
Hamtastic,

I cannot change the MO General Server Status thread title to reflect the updated date of 3/3/08. I can change my first post's update, but it doesn't show that way on the forum page. Is this something that you can adjust?

Thanks.

Not personally, but the Wizen can, and I have submitted the request for them to do so.
Not personally, but the Wizen can, and I have submitted the request for them to do so.

Please ask them to remove the update date entirely, since I don't want to bother them to change the thread title each time there's an update.
Batteries not included.

Since when did the WizO's become a cabal? Why wasn't I notified? I like it.
In MO Technical, please merge these two threads (identical issue):

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=999167

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=999133

Thanks.
Batteries not included.
Hamtastic,

Thanks.

You should be able to edit it, I believe.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
You should be able to edit it, I believe.

I did the last few times. This time, it showed correctly in the first post title, but not in the forum view.
Batteries not included.
I think it's hard to say if the end result would be good or bad. For example, if all threads discussing events and prizes got moved to the Online Events thread, would that forum get more traffic? Or would the threads just be forgotten?

To chime in on this discussion, I think the former course of events is far more likely than the latter.

I've recently done something similar with the recently repurposed [forum=540]Block Constructed forum[/forum]--the entire forum was pretty much empty, with no traffic whatsoever. I then had a whole bunch of appropriate threads from the Lorwyn and Morningtide forums moved in to give people a reason to start using it. And lo and behold, in just a day or two, it's started to work--there's actual traffic on the forum now. People are starting their own threads there, and no more threads that could fit in that forum have been started in the Lorwyn and Morningtide sections.

Now, admittedly the two scenarios are a bit different--the Block Constructed forum may have been due an increase in traffic thanks to its repurposing even without the moved threads. But I'd like to think there's a parallel. Moving the threads there brought in an automatic influx of traffic from the forums they were moved from. That increased traffic, and the fact that that forum is the only place to go for that particular kind of discussion, is far more likely to kickstart the forum than anything else, and the increased traffic begets even more traffic in a positive feedback loop.

If the rules are loose and people can do everything in General, they will; as a result, General will be a mess and all other forums will wither. Tighten up the rules, and people will no longer be able to do everything in General, so they won't, and the forums will be far healthier, including General, because it will no longer be overcrowded.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=999294 and
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=999059

are both essentially duplicates of http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=998698 lamenting the lack of blog updates lately and should be merged/closed.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Has the Girlfriend vs MO debate finally run down enough to be moved from MO General to the Thicket? Do we want/need to move it? Leave it there?

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=996719
Batteries not included.
To the thicket.
Thank you, Erik.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
I just caught up in that thread, agreed. Move it to the thicket, then lock it.
Thank you, Erik.
I just caught up in that thread, agreed. Move it to the thicket, then lock it.

I'm not sold that it requires a lock. If it gets moved to the Thicket, it'll probably fizzle out on its own.

But, I'm just a skull on a stick and don't really know about such things.
Batteries not included.
Submitted through here (except the lock part, as I think there's some good discussion to be had surrounding relationships, MTGO and stuff... maybe I'm just optimistic though).
Not a biggie to me, but it sure looks like it could get ugly. er.
Thank you, Erik.
Sign In to post comments