Risk 2210 A.D rules questions

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,

There is one important question I could not resolve reading the manual:

Can you attack (on the same turn) from a territory you just conquered?

In more detailed words: You may only attack adjacent territories. But now assume you won a combat and conquered a new territory and you move your units into this new territory when conquering it. Can you now attack the territories adjacent to this new territory, and only to this new territory? (Meaning territories which are in reach only from the newly conquered one).
If yes, this would make it possible to conquer the whole gameboard in only one turn - if you have enough units. This can't be the way it is played, is it?

Another little question: The manual says you have to discard ANY cards used. Does this also mean you have to discard territory cards you draw when using certain command cards? This would mean each territory can be affected by any command card only once in a game.. this does not make much sense does it?
If so, are you allowed to look through the discarded territories? (so that you know which can't be drawn anymore)

Thanks for any answers!
Yes, you can conquer the whole world from one territory. That is the same way the original Risk game played.

Better to think of it this way. You pick a territory, and declare an attack into any adjacent one. If you win, you MUST move at least as many armies in as dice you rolled, and as many as you want, leaving one behind in the original territory.

Now, that attack is over. Start again. Pick any territory you own - including any newly-won territory, or even the same territory as last time. Roll dice, determine results. Each roll is considered a new "attack", so if you don't win the first time, you can either attack again from the same territory (and you can change how many dice you roll from one attack to the next), or attack somewhere else, and return to an earlier territory attacking the same one.

So, as long as you have at least two armies in any given territory, you can keep attacking, and so long as you keep pushing more than one army into each new territory, you are capable of attacking from them.

That was actually the most important consideration of Risk: how long can you keep attacking, hoping to conquer the world in your turn? But, if you fail, you leave a swath of underdefended territories for the next player to try the same (or, at the very least, wipe you out). Sure, it's possible, but in only five turns, a Risk:2210AD game rarely lasts long enough for one player to mass enough armies to sweep the board (esp. with the Water and Lunar colonies making the map much bigger than the original 42 territories). However, I have seen individual players wiped out, so keep that in mind. ;)
Hello,

Another little question: The manual says you have to discard ANY cards used. Does this also mean you have to discard territory cards you draw when using certain command cards? This would mean each territory can be affected by any command card only once in a game.. this does not make much sense does it?
If so, are you allowed to look through the discarded territories? (so that you know which can't be drawn anymore)

Thanks for any answers!

Yes, that's correct. All discarded cards leave the game (again, it's too short to reshuffle). Also discard the Devastated Territory cards once drawn (so they don't come up for later Command Cards results, either). You're right; that is an important part of the game, too.

There is nothing that prevents looking at discards, so I would say it's ok. They are out of the game, after all. Take notes if you want (it's tacky, but I've seen players do that in other games).
Thanks alot for your explanations!

So I did get it right afterall. The problem was I don't know the classic risk and the manual does not clearly point out that attack rule.

Thanks and greetings
OK i have an important question.

CAN you attack yourself in 2210 risk? I always thought it was an unwritten rule until one of my more creative friends took advantage of us and attacked his own place to eventually win the game.

So can you attack yourself in Risk 2210?

VermillionCain 

VermillionCain,

from the rules :

"Now it is time to decide if you wish to attack an opposing territory. The object of an attack is to

capture a territory by defeating all the opposing units occupying it."

So No you cannot attack yourself because you are not your own opponent :-)

WaveX

Hi guys. I came acros this thread and wonder if someone might provide some additional rule clarification?

1) If a player is invading into an occupied territiory and uses the maximum 3 dice - I always thought that the victor has to move 3 MODs into the newly conquered territory. I see AH_Warspite's comment - is it instread that I have to move at LEAST 3 MODs into the newly conquered territory? I mean if I had 7 MODs, could I move 6 if I won - leaving one behind naturally?

2) Question regarding invasions into unoccupied territories along the same lines. Suppose I had units in territory A neighbouring an unoccupied territory B (say a sea colony). In my turn I buy a naval commander and immediately move MODs from A into B. Do I have to stop there or can I continue by moving from A into B, B into C, C into D, etc? Assuming I have enough MODs in A to continue the chain and leaving 1 MOD in each territory along the chain as I go. Are there any limits to the amount of MODs I can move into an unoccupied territory?

3) This may have been addressed before - how does the Armageddon card work? Does the one who plays it immediately have the ability to play all his other nuclear cards FIRST before the sequence order for the other players or is it literally as described on the card with all players being allowed the opportunity to play their nuclear card in sequence - assuming that they have cards and a surviving nuclear commander of course.

Thanks a lot!

Hi guys. I came acros this thread and wonder if someone might provide s]ome additional rule clarification?

1) If a player is invading into an occupied territiory and uses the maximum 3 dice - I always thought that the victor has to move 3 MODs into the newly conquered territory. I see AH_Warspite's comment - is it instread that I have to move at LEAST 3 MODs into the newly conquered territory? I mean if I had 7 MODs, could I move 6 if I won - leaving one behind naturally?

Yes you can!

Of course for each d8 you roll, you have to move one capable commander insdtead of a MOD to fufill your minimum.

2) Question regarding invasions into unoccupied territories along the same lines. Suppose I had units in territory A neighbouring an unoccupied territory B (say a sea colony). In my turn I buy a naval commander and immediately move MODs from A into B. Do I have to stop there or can I continue by moving from A into B, B into C, C into D, etc? Assuming I have enough MODs in A to continue the chain and leaving 1 MOD in each territory along the chain as I go. Are there any limits to the amount of MODs I can move into an unoccupied territory?

No limits - keep expanding till you have only one MOD per territory if you like

3) This may have been addressed before - how does the Armageddon card work? Does the one who plays it immediately have the ability to play all his other nuclear cards FIRST before the sequence order for the other players or is it literally as described on the card with all players being allowed the opportunity to play their nuclear card in sequence - assuming that they have cards and a surviving nuclear commander of course.

Thanks a lot!

Litterally as described.  It goes nocely with a Frequency Jam or two for the players before you in the sequence.  Even an Assassin Bomb.

Cheers!
Thanks a million AH_zooooma!
Hey, we're wondering.

Player 1 declares an invasion into a territory.

Player 2 uses two instances of Stealth Mods and a Stealth Station from the Land Command cards deck, in order to fortify his position.

Player 1 then decides to call off the attack, seeing that he probably cannot win. He wants to stop attacking before the first attack, so as to conserve his troop.

Player 2 feels cheated that he spent resources defending a territory and player 1 does not need to risk any troops, and player 2 cannot use his spent cards to defend himself against Player 1 in another territory.

Players 3 and 4 feel that Player 1 needs to at least roll a single attack before withdrawing, potentially losing a troop.

Player 1 points to the rules saying "You can end your attacks at any time." insisting that before the first attack qualifies as "any time"

Players 2, 3 and 4 are worried that player 1's interpretation would lead to a game where the dominant strategy is to declare attacks all over the map, testing to see if a player would spend command cards defending them, then calling off the attacks to attack elsewhere, is the dominant strategy.

Is there an official position on this?
Nevermind, we found a sidebar explaining this.
Hello, Another little question: The manual says you have to discard ANY cards used. Does this also mean you have to discard territory cards you draw when using certain command cards? This would mean each territory can be affected by any command card only once in a game.. this does not make much sense does it? If so, are you allowed to look through the discarded territories? (so that you know which can't be drawn anymore) Thanks for any answers!

Yes, that's correct. All discarded cards leave the game (again, it's too short to reshuffle). Also discard the Devastated Territory cards once drawn (so they don't come up for later Command Cards results, either). You're right; that is an important part of the game, too. There is nothing that prevents looking at discards, so I would say it's ok. They are out of the game, after all. Take notes if you want (it's tacky, but I've seen players do that in other games).

Are you sure about this??  I've never played with anyone who took territory cards out of play.  So, if you got South Africa with a Scout Forces, that means no one can ever Scatter Bomb it?

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

page 2, side bar on lower left, 3rd bullet:

"Once a card is drawn, and discarded, it is out of play.  Discard piles are not shuffled to form new draw piles."

There is no exception for territory cards.

Hi:
I played Risk 2210 a long time ago and wanted to recall if the limit of MODs on a single territory that you occupy is limited to 15? Or that's just how we played it as a variant?

Thanks.
Nope no limit... that will be a variant :-)

Cheers,
WaveXX
Hi, I'm new but had 2 questions:  If attacking from a territory with a commander and a MOD, u roll an 8 sided die for your commander. If you lose the battle can u choose to lose the MOD instead of the commander?

How many energy chips do you get for bid on the first turn? The rule book tells you to bid and THEN collect all your energy for turn 1.

Thanks -Mike

Mike,

1) You can always loose the MOD instead of the commander. If you attack with an 8-sided die it means that when you win the territory you must MOVE the commander to that territory.

2) Everybody gets 3 points of energy. The biddings is an very important feature of the game. Bid too much and you run out of energy in critical phases of the game but when the board is very favorable maybe you can spend the energy to get first...

So first everybody bid - all the energy that has been used to bid goes to the energy pool and then the first player begins his game...

Have Fun
WaveX

web.archive.org/web/20060619222605/www.b...
(cached version of our website - the FAQ is recomended ! )
Thanks mate, cheers.
Hi, I am new to Risk 2210 and I have a question about energy bonus.

I read from the FAQ "Energy income is determined solely by how many territories you control".

Does it mean energy is given only by the number of territories divided by three so that, differently from MODs,
you don't have any bonus from a continent you completely control ?

Thanks a lot !

Have great matches !

Bye.

Federtes,

According to the rules and FAQ, only territories determine your energy income.

Cheers,
GW
Your Avalon Hill VCL 0c9b9c4639e3c9294f5e1f424cee47a3.jpg?v=42600
It should be noted that while only territories determine your energy, this DOES include continent bonuses.  Page 4 of the rules says:
"You also receive bonus MODs and energy for any continents or Water/Lunar colonies you fully control."

Basically, you don't get extra energy for Space Stations (just the Extra Mod), which is what the FAQ is saying  
It should be noted that while only territories determine your energy, this DOES include continent bonuses.  Page 4 of the rules says:
"You also receive bonus MODs and energy for any continents or Water/Lunar colonies you fully control."

Basically, you don't get extra energy for Space Stations (just the Extra Mod), which is what the FAQ is saying  

Thanks for Elaborating on that in more detail Sigmazero13.  Also welcome to both you and Federtes to the AH Forums.

GW
Thanks!  I need to find a chance to play this game again sometime.  So many games, so little time :D
Ain't that the truth. Not to mention when I return to an old favorite I have to relearn the rules again. If I don't I end up combining rules from similar games to create strange hybrids. For example I recently had an exciting game of "Advanced Robo Squad Leader 40K". ;) LOL

cheers
GW
Thank You Grenzewolf and sigmazero13 for resolving my doubt and for cleaning any ambiguity up, and .... luckily I have enough time for playing Smile
I have a couple of questions that I need official answers to. What does Avalon Hill (Wizards of the Coast) say regarding these issues concerning the Risk 2210 AD Frontline Season Two Expansion: Tech Commander?

1) If you have Super Conductivity in play and you play Mind Control, do you pay the cost of the played card you are cancelling, or do you pay the cost of the played card you are cancelling -1?

2)If you use Combat Enhancer you get to add +1 to all your combat rolls between the invading and invaded territory for this turn. What does "this turn" mean? Does it's effect work for all of your attacks that year? Or just a battle from one country to one other country? And what happens if you play 3 Combat Enhancers? Do you get to add +3 to your rolls?

3) Can you Mind Control a Frequency Jam?
Frequency Jam states, "The chosen player cannot play command cards during your turn." So I would tend to think the answer is no, you cannot play a Mind Control.
But, Mind Control states, "Play in response to any Command Card being played." The key word being "any". That lends me to think that you can play a Mind Control to cancel a Frequency Jam.

I have heard good opinions and arguments on all sides. That is why I need an offical answer from the company. What are the official rules and where might I find them? I would very much appreciate this!!!
If you want official answers on this game, you should contact Customer Service: wizards.custhelp.com/