Damage Type

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

i read up the damage types in the phb. what i was wondering because i cannot seem to find this info, even our dm is puzzled on this.

if i have a normal weapon and a power has the fear and weapon keywords. the creature is immune to fear, does the creature still gets damage from the weapon or does the dm say i am immune to fear and therefor take no damage?

Immune to fear would (from my point of view) mean immunity to intimidation and such. Not weapon damage.

Unless it states the creature is immune to normal weapon damage (like swords, bows etc) then they'll get hit normally without any additional reductions or side effects. If they were 'Immune to flame' and the weapon did only fire damage in place of the standard damage type, then the weapon would prove useless.

I imagine though, with what you stated with the weapon having 'FEAR' as a power ability... that particular weapon ability is nulled for that monster/creature. The damage though still applies.

The moment you stop wondering if something could be done differently; is the moment you've got a problem.

If the damage is untyped, I wouldn't rule that the damage was negated, but any effect beyond the damage would be.

If the power did e.g. psycic damage and was a fear effect, I might say that immunity to fear prevented the damage.

Yes, the creature still takes damage from a power that has the Fear keyword because Fear is not a damage keyword, it's an effect keyword.

The creature would be immune to any effects (which will be described as Effects in the text of the power) from a power with the Fear keyword, but not immune to the damage from that power.

RC 225 (Immunity):  "Some creatures are immune to certain effects.  If a creature is immune to a damage type (such as cold or fire), it doesn't take that type of damage.  If a creature is immune to charm, fear, illusion or poison, it is unaffected by the non-damaging effects of a power that has that keyword."

On RC 114, all damage types are listed.  They are, Acid, Cold, Fire, Force, Lightning, Necrotic, Poison, Psychic, Radiant and Thunder.  Fear is listed as an effect keyword on RC 118.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Tsulia wrote:

Immune to fear would (from my point of view) mean immunity to intimidation and such.

Per RC 148, an Intimidate check fails automatically against a monster that is immune to fear.  So, yeah.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Sign In to post comments