Targeting Allies while blind

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Our DM wasn't sure today about some cleric powers that effected allies while he had various vision impairments..

Vision Impairments on our Cleric:  He was blinded,  then blinded further than 2 squares, and in a drows darkness.

He had 1 ally adjacent to him, and 3 within 5 squares.

Brand of the  Sun:  Effect - You or one ally within 5 squares of you can make a saving throw.

Soothing Light: Target -  You or one ally in burst.  Effect - The target makes a saving throw with a +2 power bonus.

Awakening Sun:  Effect - You and each ally within 5 squares of you gain temporary hit points and can make a saving throw.

The issues bought up were:

1.  DM thought he read somewhere that you couldn't grant a saving throw to an ally if you couldn't see the ally.  True/False?

2.  You couldn't target allies you couldn't see(no line of sight), even regarding Awakening Sun's effect.  True/False?

At first I thought Awakening Sun was a burst-like effect, it had nothing to do with vision.  Then Soothing Light is a burst effect, specificly saying Target, so maybe not for that power.  Brand of the Sun was sort of half way, no targeting, but says one ally, so I'd have to choose, suggesting targeting.

I couldn't find this in my searches, but did find the Hidden post, and it was saying that you know where everyone is at all times unless they are hidden.  So being blinded doesn't really matter at all for targeting allies in the above powers from the sounds of that. 

Does partial cover or superior cover effect the "within 5 squares" with regard to Awakening Sun?

Also, does the drow darkness effect this issue differently than plain blindness?  (line of sight, line of effect)

Was all very confusing, was hoping someone might have some clarification.

Thanks

Ugg

1: False.

2: Also false.

LoS only affects things it says it does.  Compare, for instance, the Fighter power Come and Get It, which targets each enemy in burst that you can see.

The rules do what they say they do, no more, no less.  If they don't SAY that you can't do it whilst Blinded, they don't mean it.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

So if I'm in a Cloud of Darkness, which says "blocks line of sight,", I can still target someone with a ranged attack 10 squares away (assuming the power is ranged 10).  I'd still provoke from melee, and I'd have -5 to hit, but I have no issue knowing enemy locations, and therefore being able to take a shot?

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated thespaceinvader.

You don't provoke from things which can't see you, otherwise, yes, unless they're Hidden from you (which they can attempt, because you can't see them).

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

I'm with ya.  Thanks again mate.