Teleportation

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

When teleporting, is the range of teleportation 2 dimensional, or can a player teleport to the top of a building or  a wall if the teleporting range logically allows?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. —Unknown

Friendship is weird. You pick a human being you like and say to yourself, "Yep, I like this one." Then you do stuff together. —Unknown

Everyone has nightmares; even big scary monsters from under the bed have nightmares. —David Tennant, Doctor Who

The universe is big, it;s vastand complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. —Matt Smith, Doctor Who

I think the system allows that, but you'd have to be careful tracking the distances because moving diagonally is already a little hard to keep track of, on the ground.  Take each square to mean 5', of course, set an angle, and do the math.

Raksayarth wrote:

When teleporting, is the range of teleportation 2 dimensional, or can a player teleport to the top of a building or  a wall if the teleporting range logically allows?

3D.  If teleporting would cause the creature to fall or put it in hindering terrain, the teleported creature gets a saving throw.  The user of the teleport power must also have line of sight to the destination square.

SirAntoine wrote:
I think the system allows that, but you'd have to be careful tracking the distances because moving diagonally is already a little hard to keep track of, on the ground.  Take each square to mean 5', of course, set an angle, and do the math.

4E movement is measured in squares (cubes in the third dimension), not feet, and moving along diagonals is no different than moving along sides, even in the third dimension.  You don't need to measure angles or do any math besides counting.

Indeed - you just count squares up rather than across.  Diagonals are still one square distance, geometry is still non-euclidean.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

For some reason it took me a long time to figure this out but as the other posters said, it's very simple.

If you're ever in doubt how far a target is away, just use the greatest distance along the X, Y and Z axes.  That's your distance.  No need to calculate, just count.

For example, if my target is 7 squares to the west of me, 5 squares to the north of me, and 6 squares up in the air, then it's 7 squares away, because that's the greatest distance.  It's even simpler than I make it sound, actually!

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

How much does the standard flask hold? Im pretty sure its a pint but just wanted to be sure.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. —Unknown

Friendship is weird. You pick a human being you like and say to yourself, "Yep, I like this one." Then you do stuff together. —Unknown

Everyone has nightmares; even big scary monsters from under the bed have nightmares. —David Tennant, Doctor Who

The universe is big, it;s vastand complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. —Matt Smith, Doctor Who

Probably not stated in the rules and I'm not sure why you're asking in a thread about teleportation?

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Raksayarth wrote:

Keep in mind that unless the power says otherwise, the player needs to see the destination square of the teleport. So you generally have to teleport up on to the edge of walls or buildings (because you can see at least part of that square).

If you have the range you could also teleport yourself beyond that and higher up to a "square" (actually a cube) you can see above that and just drop as necessary to the surface.

Sign In to post comments