Can opportunity attacks provoke other opportunity attacks/actions in 4e D&D?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Opportunity Actions

An opportunity action is similar to an immediate interrupt, but it can be taken once per turn, rather than once per round.

Trigger: Each opportunity action—usually a power—defines its trigger. The one type of opportunity action that every creature can take is an opportunity attack.

Someone Else’s Turn: A creature cannot take an opportunity action on its own turn. The action interrupts some event on another creature’s turn.

Once per Turn: A creature can take no more than one opportunity action per turn (but it can take one on each other creature’s turn).

Interrupt: Just like an immediate interrupt, an opportunity action interrupts its trigger, taking place before the trigger finishes.

Vengeful Guardian

Your nearby enemies learn the hard way that it is unwise to ignore you.

At-Will    Martial
Opportunity Action Personal

Trigger: An enemy subject to your defender aura either shifts or makes an attack that targets an ally of yours, without targeting you or an ally who has an active defender aura.

Effect: You make a melee basic attack against the triggering enemy and deal 1d8 extra damage to it.

This is not my first DM homeruling against PC character making an opportunity attack triggered by an enemy's opportunity attack against an ally that provokes an opportunity attack from an enemy subject to my defender aura.  I know that I'm correct in my assumption and understanding of the rules as written (RAW).  However, I haven't found any discussion in these forums that validates my argument.  The trigger for Vengeful Guardian states "when an enemy makes an attack..." An opportunity attack is an attack, right?

Thank you for any feedback.

To all that is good and worthwhile.

Yes, they can, yes it is.  If anyone's told you you can;t do this, they're completely incorrect.

What's the argument against it working?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Yes, they can, yes it is.  If anyone's told you you can;t do this, they're completely incorrect.

Thank you, thespaceinvader. I just needed corroboration for validating my argument from a veteran forum poster.  Yourself, Mand12, and of course, Plaguescarred.

I'm unsure what you mean; however, "the homebrew ruling" just reduces the effectiveness of my berserker's defender aura against enemies making opportunity attacks in it and positioning for the party to gain combat advantage or move out of enemies' threatening range.

By removing berserker's punitive for violating his defender aura, this will give advantage to the enemy monster who'll use area attacks or freely hit allies that provoke opportunity attacks.

If we keep to the DM homeruling, then our party will have to remember not to provoke opportunity attacks from enemies in my small defender aura.  A defender that can't defend or keep enemies aggro'd to the defender.  At least with a mark from any other defender, an enemy would be compelled to focus on defender and not take penalty to its attack roll.  So, if an intelligent enemy controlled by the DM saw a berserker, then it would keep away from the berserker to keep out of its aura instead which eliminates his role as defender.

Aura defenders all have that problem.... it is why so many of them invest in Flail Expertise+Dragging Flail. Prone things have a much harder time not being next to you.
An opportunity attack is an attack, right?

Yes, the melee basic attack made when making an opportunity attack is an attack that can trigger Vengeful Guardian.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Thank you, thespaceinvader. I just needed corroboration for validating my argument from a veteran forum poster.  Yourself, Mand12, and of course, Plaguescarred.

I'm unsure what you mean.

What I mean is 'what is your DM's logic for saying this DOESN'T work when the rules clearly state it does.  If we know why he thinks it doesn't work, we can potentially provide the argument, be we can't if we don't.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

I'm unsure what you mean.

What I mean is 'what is your DM's logic for saying this DOESN'T work when the rules clearly state it does.  If we know why he thinks it doesn't work, we can potentially provide the argument, be we can't if we don't.

I politely asked my DM to reconsider his position on the matter, and he changed his prior judgment.  The DM just wanted to avoid a chain of potentially confusing and complicated interrupting actions by both parties, PC's and monsters.  To paraphrase him and one of my IRL DM, "it's ridiculous" for an opportunity attack provoked by another opportunity attack; let's keep this simple.

I'm grateful that the DM is receptive enough to accept and adopt alternate ways of thinking.  Thank you everyone again for your input on this argument. Especially, thespaceinvader.