Question about charging

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi.
I have a question about how much of my turn charging takes up. Is it a movement + standard action or only a standard action. So, can I move 12 and then attack or only 6?
The manual Isn't too clear about hooped. 
Hi.
I have a question about how much of my turn charging takes up. Is it a movement + standard action or only a standard action. So, can I move 12 and then attack or only 6?
The manual Isn't too clear about hooped. 

Charge = movement + attack 

baked into one standard action.

You can still take a minor and move action BEFORE the charge, cause you can't take actions other than free actions/no actions after a charge.
Thats what I suspected. Can you tell me where this rule is clearly explained? 

Thats what I suspected. Can you tell me where this rule is clearly explained? 

In the charge rules. It says "Standard action" "Move your speed" "Every square must be closer to the target" etc. Either the Rules Compendium or the Rules Update Archive.
Duh, missed that headding.
thanks again 
Could I move one space away from an opponent and then charge another without granting the former an attack of opportunity?
Could I move one space away from an opponent and then charge another without granting the former an attack of opportunity?

You can Shift.
Specifically you can shift using your move action and then charge with your standard action.  You can't move the 1 space away without provoking as part of the charge action.

However, there are also option like the Badge of the Berserker neck slot item where none of the movement made as part of the charge provokes an attack or oppurtunity.
Ok thanks. Now that I know how to start a charge I have a question about ending it:
when I finnish the moving part of my charge (at least 2 squares, straight line, shortest path and all that), can I now do a basic attack (or use a charge compatible power) +1 against any adjacent enemy from where I have stopped? I mean, he doesn't have to be standing right in front of me, diagonally can also do, right?
You have to pick the charge target before you start the movement in order to help ensure that each square of the movement moves you 1 square closer to the target.  Because squares are counted the same diagonally as well as orthogonally, you may have multiple valid paths
  But there's no "facing" or "in front of you" in 4e.  As long as the square you end up in was the closest possible square from which you could attack the target and you moved at least 2 squares, the charge is valid.  If there are multiple final squares that are equal in distance, you can pick any of them.

I'll try to draw some examples here:

XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXCC
PXXXXXCC
XXXXXXXX

In the above, C is the target (Large creature) and P is the player.  The player can legally charge creature C ending movement in any of the Red X squares because each square is 5 squares away from P, and each can be reached without taking a step that doesn't move closer, so they are all equidistant.

XXXXXXXX
XXBXXXCC
PXBXXXCC
XXXXXXXX

Now in this case, B is blocking terrain (which doesn't allow cutting the corner). The player can charge only the lower 3 squares by moving along the path I marked in green.  The uppermost square is no good because it would take  6 squares of movement to get around the terrain, and at least one of the those steps would not move closer.

XXXCCX
XXXCCX
XXAXXX
XXXXXX
PXXXXX

Now this one is harder to read (sorry), but in this case A is an ally.  In this case, the player cannot charge C* because his ally is in the closest legal square and any attempt to move around the the ally would result in a square of movement that does not move closer to the target.

* Note that if the player started a little further away, and was using a reach weapon or something like Blade of the Eldritch Knight, he could legally charge because he can then attack without being adjacent, and just has to charge at least two squares from where he started and move closer with each square of movement.
No more doubts about this. Thank you MASTER.
Now im glad I chose that great spear for my barbarian.
Thanks again for such complete description
Just to pick one nit ... you don't HAVE to attack from the closest possible square when you charge if you are capable from attacking from further away.  IOW, if you have melee Reach 2, you can charge, end up two squares away from your target, and attack.

But other than that minor thing which doesn't come up very often (in my games anyway), RisingZan's explanation is right on and very excellent.  The main thing to get people to remember is that every square you move during the charge has to take you one square closer to the target.  So there's no "straight line" or "shortest path" stuff to worry about.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Another example of RZ's first illustration: If your character can fly you can even charge aerially by following a ballistic trajectory toward the target - because moving diagonally doesn't cost any extra movement you can fly diagonally upward over the heads of anybody inbetween you and your target and then dive diagonally downward at the target, avoiding at least some of the attacks of opportunity you might have occured if you had charged across the ground...

Just as a side note, the rules for charging were changed after they were published in the PHB1 - although they originally required taking the most direct line to the target and attacking from the nearest possible square, they were later changed into their current form.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Just as a side note, the rules for charging were changed after they were published in the PHB1 - although they originally required taking the most direct line to the target and attacking from the nearest possible square, they were later changed into their current form.

QFT.  For the latest updated rules, either get a Rules Compendium, or check the online Compendium (99% correct).  I can't recommend the Rules Compendium book enough.  It's really the only book I keep at the table when I DM.  Definitely worth the $20.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Speaking of additional things (esp. in light of RisingZan, RedSiegfried, and Mad_Jack's comments)- the last example in RisingZan's set of diagrams also wouldn't be a problem if the PC in character was a Pixie, since they can occupy the same space as the character they're charging (and can attack from either 1 or 0 squares out).  They also illustrate the flying issue rather well, since they can do so, easily.
Speaking of additional things (esp. in light of RisingZan, RedSiegfried, and Mad_Jack's comments)- the last example in RisingZan's set of diagrams also wouldn't be a problem if the PC in character was a Pixie, since they can occupy the same space as the character they're charging (and can attack from either 1 or 0 squares out).  They also illustrate the flying issue rather well, since they can do so, easily.

yeah, I didn't really bother with the flying scenarios because I can't exactly draw in 3d with text; but they can all be extrapolated from the 2d scenarios.
If you're using a reach weapon, do you have the option of charging to a square adjacent to your target, or must you stop 2 squares away because that's the "shortest path" (fewest number of squares moved into) from which you could attack?

If it's the latter, can you use Quick Draw to circumvent this by charging unarmed into an adjacent square, then drawing your spear as part of the attack?

The updated Charge rules no longer require you to take the "shortest path" to your target. They only require that each square of your movement take you closer to the target. So there are now multiple paths you could take to the target that would all be legal, but wouldn't necessarily be the same distance.
 The updated Charge rules can be found in the PHB 1 update pdf on the main site or in the Rules Compendium.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

You can stop at any point where your weapon is in range as long as you moved at least 2, and each square of movement moves you closer.  So if you have a reach of 5 (Blade of the Eldritch Knight) you can charge 2 squares to any location within 5 squares of the target, as long as each square of movement brought you closer.
Sign In to post comments