Stealing From Players

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi All,

Im in the middle of some hot and heavy (not the good kind :P) RP action and am trying to steal something from another player in plain sight. Using 4th ed rules, my DM and I are not sure I can do it, as players are always aware of each other as such my DM consistantly rules that even if I try to steal from someone in the group and roll amazing, I cant do it, the other person knows whats happening and instictivly stops me/grabs it back as Im moving away.

Can someone help me out here? Does 4th ed mean stealing from the party isnt possible?

Also I apologize if this tread was started/explain. I am TERRIBLE at site navigation!
If a PC makes an agressive action that targets another PC, the target's player should decide whether or not it works. No dice necessary.

PVP scenes - be they about combat, theft, or whatever else - can make the game more interesting if both players agree that the scenes are fun, make the characters more 3-dimensional, and will cooperate OOC on making it a good conflict scene IC, but they make the game boring and stressful to players who want the characters to be heroically cooperating against the BBEG.

Giving control of the scene's resolution to the target's player ensures that it only happens when both players are on board with making a good conflict scene, and if the target's player chooses to use dice to decide what happens, then good for him.

Founder - but not owner - of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Why there should be the option to use alignment systems:
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

The first question you need to ask is whether the other player is okay with you stealing from his character.

If the answer is no, then stop being a jerk and don't do it.  And if you're not okay with him messing with your character, insist he do the same.   

Settle that question first, then worry about rules later.   

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Wait until the other character is asleep then have your character steal him. It will be much more easy.
The first question you need to ask is whether the other player is okay with you stealing from his character.

If the answer is no, then stop being a jerk and don't do it.  And if you're not okay with him messing with your character, insist he do the same.   

Just quoting this.  Talk to each other.  If the theft is fine with both of you, describe how it happens.  If it's not fine with both of you, it DOES. NOT. HAPPEN.

This is not a PvP game, it is a co-operative one.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Hi All,

Im in the middle of some hot and heavy (not the good kind :P) RP action and am trying to steal something from another player in plain sight. Using 4th ed rules, my DM and I are not sure I can do it, as players are always aware of each other as such my DM consistantly rules that even if I try to steal from someone in the group and roll amazing, I cant do it, the other person knows whats happening and instictivly stops me/grabs it back as Im moving away.

Can someone help me out here? Does 4th ed mean stealing from the party isnt possible?

Also I apologize if this tread was started/explain. I am TERRIBLE at site navigation!

In my games I usually use pieces of paper to inform a specific player if his/her character notices something or the reult of an action that other characters cannot see (then the player roleplay his character to share the information if needed). For example, when someone detects magic, I write down the result of the skill check and hand it to the player. It is not unusual at my table that players write something on a piece of paper for only me to read when their character does something the others cannot see or guess. It allows the game to be a bit more immersive than having to tell everyone what happens all the time. Furthermore, some players cannot voluntarily ignore what their character shouldn't know. So using these pieces of papers, when it's a common practice, doesn't attract unecessary attention and allows players who want to perform a task such as the one as you describe to do so without becoming suspicious. 
Hi All,

You can steal from any creature, including other player characters, as long as its not something being held. If you succeed, you lift the object from the target without it noticing.

NOTE The player might not appreciate though so make sure everyone is fine about it before using Pick Pocket as it can end up doing more harm than good to the campaign.

[sblock]

PICK POCKET

Make a Thievery check to lift a small object (such as a purse or an amulet) from a creature without that creature being aware of the theft.

Action: Standard action. Unless otherwise noted, the creature must be adjacent to the target, and the target must not be holding the object.
        DC: Hard DC of the target’s level.
        Success: The creature lifts a small object from the target without the target noticing.
        Failure by 4 or Less: The creature fails to lift an object, but the target doesn’t notice.
        Failure by 5 or More: The creature fails to lift an object, and the target notices the attempt.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Just quoting this.  Talk to each other.  If the theft is fine with both of you, describe how it happens.  If it's not fine with both of you, it DOES. NOT. HAPPEN.

This is not a PvP game, it is a co-operative one.

Smart thinking. It's amusing, but it can get really annoying to try to do this against someone else's will. In the end you want do want to get along with your fellow actors. After all, your character's lives depend on each other. We did have a character try this once, he rolled a 20 and stole a tarot card in plain sight. However, as part of his brash personality he tried to use it in plain sight within a few minutes. So maybe you can tell his player you'll return/make it really easy for it to be returned in awhile.

You're a jerk btw : D

If you're trying to steal from the party, my only advice is to look up something known as "Wheaton's Law"

Beyond that, I'm not giving out any advice to griefer ****s about how to be a dick.

I use the same houserule as Beldek in my games, and I find it works well.
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/