Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15532 posts / 0 new
Last post

Its been a couple of days now. Any answers to my question about using heal when the target has used their second wind and helping unconcious characters?

Its been a couple of days now. Any answers to my question about using heal when the target has used their second wind and helping unconcious characters?

Someone who has already used their Second Wind doesn't get to use it again.  As such, the DC10 "spend your Second Wind" Heal Check can't be used.

You can stabilise 'em, but they aren't getting back up without *real* healing.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

If I use the heal skill and stabilize someone because they have already used their second wind is there any kind of roll they can make to wake up during the fight or are they unconcious and stable until the end of the fight with nothing that they can do to try and get back in the action to help. If someone has used their second wind and is dying, is stabilizing them the only thing I can do with the heal skill to help them? No DC 15 check I can make to try and wake them up?

You are out of mundane options at that point.  Administering a healing potion or using a power that allows the unconscious character to spend a healing surge are your only in-combat choices. 

After the combat, if your DM is generous, the character will be treated as unconscious and goes to 1 hp after a short rest (PH pg. 295); otherwise, he'll need a short rest to recharge his second wind which could then be triggered by another character with a Heal check.

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

Sorry for this stupide question but I have a eladrin swordmage at 4th level and my Int is 18.The mod of Int is half of 18-10->(4)or I must count +1/2 lv? If I have a normale armor of leather my AC is 23?(1/2 lv+6(mod int)+3 for interdiction of swordmage+2(armor)+10)?Thanks but my master is very headstrong...Ps I'm italian and my english is not perfect,excuse me.

Sorry for this stupide question but I have a eladrin swordmage at 4th level and my Int is 18.The mod of Int is half of 18-10->(4)or I must count +1/2 lv? If I have a normale armor of leather my AC is 23?(1/2 lv+6(mod int)+3 for interdiction of swordmage+2(armor)+10)?Thanks but my master is very headstrong...Ps I'm italian and my english is not perfect,excuse me.

Your INT is "+4", not +6.  So, your AC is:

10 (base)
+2 (Armor)
+4 (Int, since you are in Light Armor)
+3 (Swordmage Aegis)
+2 (1/2 Level)
= 21

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.

You are too high because are adding your 1/2 level twice.  Your Armor Class should be:

• Base (10)

• + 1/2 level (2) = 12

• + Int mod (4) = 16

• + Armor (2) = 18

• + Swordmage Warding (3) = 21

Edit: Ninja'ed!  But at least LoW and I agree, so you have some corroboration. 

hey, ive got another question! :D

evil eye tattoo says that your target gets -2 to saves (save ends) does the -2 effect the save to end the -2 effect?

hope that makes sense!!

cheers for all your rules help

evil eye tattoo says that your target gets -2 to saves (save ends) does the -2 effect the save to end the -2 effect?

He has -2 to saves.  The save to end the -2 penalty is a save.  He therefore takes -2 on the roll to end the penalty.

Hopefully I can ask this question, its about Hybrids and sense they haven't come out yet... yeah.

Anyway can you take the Hybrid Talent more than once. I would think you can but just want to double check.

Hopefully I can ask this question, its about Hybrids and sense they haven't come out yet... yeah.

Anyway can you take the Hybrid Talent more than once. I would think you can but just want to double check.

Nope. A feat has to have a "Special" line saying it can be taken more than once (like Implement Expertise).

The only way to get more than one instance of Hybrid Talent is to Paragon Hybrid Class (instead of picking a Paragon Path).

Thanks for the reply. After finishing an module last week I was watching another group go through the same end fight and not doing as well and was thinking about what my cleric could do to have changed the situation. It makes me glad I picked the healing pot and gp option at the end so I have one as back up.

I've had DMs let unconcious players roll a d20 to try and get a 20 on their turn to wake up but was told they were being generous and the roll was not in the books. After all if you are stabalized there is nothing for you to do for the rest of the fight if no one has any healing left.

Thanks for the reply. After finishing an module last week I was watching another group go through the same end fight and not doing as well and was thinking about what my cleric could do to have changed the situation. It makes me glad I picked the healing pot and gp option at the end so I have one as back up.

I've had DMs let unconcious players roll a d20 to try and get a 20 on their turn to wake up but was told they were being generous and the roll was not in the books. After all if you are stabalized there is nothing for you to do for the rest of the fight if no one has any healing left.

That's pretty much right:  You roll a Death Save every turn, and if it's 20+, you spend a Surge and get up.  However, using Heal to Stablise The Dying means that the person *doesn't make Death Saves*, at all.

*most* GMs I know let you make a "is it a 20?  No?  Stay down" roll every round even if you're not making a Death Save, but that's different.

Can you take Free Actions, like the one necessary to use the Dreadnought's Unfailing Resources feature, when you are Stunned or Dominated?

There is new information by Custserv on Forced Movement in damaging zone. In Consolidated Answers from Customer Services Post #539

Thanks for the tip. Can you post it to the thread I link to in the FAQ answer? We can't really debate issues effectively in this thread, but if the forum comes to a new concensus (i.e. simple majority) on an issue, then the forum FAQ answer will normally reflect it.

Everytime i try to post a link, it refer to simpatico blog thing.

It's in the Rules Q&A /  Consolidated Answers from Customer Services / Post #539

I got another quick one, or at least it's quick to ask.

Talenta Tangat - superior
Large
properties: Small, versatile, high-crit

Now, would this mean that a medium sized PC, let's say Human, could wield this?
Just to make sure: We're talking about the large-sized weapon here, not the normal-sized.

This is the "bugbear" edition, so to say. 

No.  Weapons that are Large (or larger) cannot be wielded by medium or small creatures, period.  Bugbears and Eternal Defenders have an exception to this rule.

I think this might not be exactly right. 

The Small property describes a two-handed or a versatile weapon that a Small character can use in the same way a Medium character can. This alone indicate that Medium creautres can use weapons with the small property. The rules on Weapon & Size PHB 220 specifically says that weapon tables assume a Medium wielder. Characters that are smaller or larger than Medium have special rules.

Small characters use the same weapons that Medium creatures do. However, a Small character can't use a two-handed weapon. When a Small character uses a versatile weapon, he or she must wield it two-handed and doesn't deal any extra damage for doing so.

Only Large, Huge, and Gargantuan creatures use weapons that are specially sized for them. Nothing regarding Small creatures. It also says Large creatures can use two-handed weapons intended for creatures one size category smaller than themselves and treat them as one-handed weapons. It seems only small creatures have difficulties with certain weapons, and not the opposite.

So when those weapons are too unweldy for a Small Character, in order to be fully able to use them, it needs the Small Property. A creature can't use an undersized one-handed weapon at all; its hand is too large to effectively hold the weapon's small grip. This refer to Larger creatures using Human-sized weapons i believe. The small is a property, not a weapon size, for when you find a short bow, it is not meaning it's of small sized, only that small creatures can use them as effectively as Medium would.

Why the note on Talenta Sharrash  This weapon can be wielded two-handed by a small character, if it was two-handed weapon precisely built for small sized Halflings, it wouldn't need that speficiation. It is because Human can use it, as well as the Talenta Tanga i believe.

Weapon tables assume a Medium wielder and there is no size before Large in terms of weapon size for the only reasons that creatures can't use weapons designed for creatures larger than themselves, so Halfling wouldn't be able to use any of the weapons in the PHB otherwise.

Can you take Free Actions, like the one necessary to use the Dreadnought's Unfailing Resources feature, when you are Stunned or Dominated?

Stunned no.  Dominated yes.

Agree, stunned = no.

Disagree on dominated.  Noted in Post #7 of this thread as, (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Probably no, and at the very least not recommended by the majority."

Agree, stunned = no. Disagree on dominated.  Noted in Post #7 of this thread as, (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Probably no, and at the very least not recommended by the majority."

Full quote if desired:
'Can you take free actions while dominated? The consensus seems to be that the player gets to make no decisions while dominated. Probably best to just avoid free actions entirely. Discussed here. Also note that the PHB FAQ states: "Can I spend the action points of a creature that I'm dominating? No. While a creature is dominated by you, you can use its at-will powers only."'

Commonly misused terms

• Blast: Unlike a 'burst', a blast is not a radius effect. Rather, it is more like a 'cone' effect from previous editions.

It would have been easier to use the word cone to discribe a... cone. 

Bubbles burst.  Burst is a verb.  Perhaps a radius effect should be called a... radius effect.  Or if you want to give it a fantasy sound, call it an aura.

It would have been easier to use the word cone to discribe a... cone.

Certainly, but they are not cone-shaped, nor described as cones. 'Blast' is merely used for a lot of spells that were previously cone shaped in 3e. It just that associating blasts with cones (like a dragon's fiery 'blast') will at least help one remember which is which, is all.
Bubbles burst.  Burst is a verb.  Perhaps a radius effect should be called a... radius effect.  Or if you want to give it a fantasy sound, call it an aura.

Burst is also a noun. Radius would have been ok, but still potentially confusing with blast (since "blast radius" is a common term outside of D&D). But of course, such a discussion is outside the scope of this thread. Aura is indeed used in D&D: it basically signifies a persistent burst.

Question: Stacking Penalties

Wizards with Orb +2 in one hand, cunning dagger +2 in main hand, wearing phrenic crown, has spell focus.

Casts sleep(will save): .do penalties stack from items (-2 from dagger, -1 from crown, -2 from dagger, and -5 (wisdom bonus) from orb of imposition penalty.

If not, how do penalties stack properly, particular multiple items/feats/class bonuses/ etc.

Followup. If orb can't be used as part of main attack (as was in off hand), can it be used in followup round/attacks to add/upgrade on the previous cast spells.

Question: Stacking Penalties

Wizards with Orb +2 in one hand, cunning dagger +2 in main hand, wearing phrenic crown, has spell focus.

Casts sleep(will save): .do penalties stack from items (-2 from dagger, -1 from crown, -2 from dagger, and -5 (wisdom bonus) from orb of imposition penalty.

As long as the dagger is a valid implement for your Wizard, and you used the dagger to as the implement to cast sleep, you're right - -2 dagger, -2 Spell Focus, -1 crown, use Orb for -5 Wisdom = -10 penalty to saves against that spell.

Followup. If orb can't be used as part of main attack (as was in off hand), can it be used in followup round/attacks to add/upgrade on the previous cast spells.

Of course.

Do magic weapon enhancement bonuses apply to the damage of powers that don't involve a die roll, but do have the weapon descriptor?

And if such powers crit, are extra dice rolled for damage?

For example, if a warlord with 18 Strength hits something with a Furious Smash using a +2 vicious greatspear, does it deal 4 damage or 6 damage?

From the rules as written, as far as I can tell, the bonus doesn't apply to static damage, since it says that the bonus is applied to 'damage rolls', and  specifically excludes other sorts of damage, including ongoing damage.

Conversely, so far as I can tell, a critical with such an ability would get bonus damage dice, since those are simply listed under 'critical', and have no listed limitations on when they are applied.

So in the above example, the warlord would deal 2d12+4 damage if he rolled a 20 on his attack with Furious Smash.

Is this clarified anywhere?  Is there anyone out there who knows of supporting or contradictory rulings?

Can you use a double move action, to shift (one square) over difficult terrain?

A shift is one move action, you cannot make it a double-move action (no such thing).

Certain abilities allow you to shift more than one square, in which case, you can shift into difficult terrain.

Question:

Are there rules regarding damage to unattended magical items?

One of my players died inside a huge oven-like magical trap. Since there are no rules I can see about damaging equipment, does it mean that magical items are immune to magical fire? Won't they melt if taken into a volcano and dropped on bubbling lava?

Thanks in advance.

A shift is one move action, you cannot make it a double-move action (no such thing).

Certain abilities allow you to shift more than one square, in which case, you can shift into difficult terrain.

Umm, what? PH 284 has the rules for double moving. You can trade a standard for a move and double-shift to shift 1 square into difficult terrain.

Incorrect. www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/da...

One Speed: When you double move, add the speeds of the two move actions together and then move.

If you take two move actions, each grant you a shift 1. You combine the per the one speed clause of Double Move, so you have Shift 2, allowing you to shift into difficult terrain.

I stand corrected, my apologies.

Question:

One of my players died inside a huge oven-like magical trap. Since there are no rules I can see about damaging equipment, does it mean that magical items are immune to magical fire? Won't they melt if taken into a volcano and dropped on bubbling lava?

Thanks in advance.

DHG 65 has rules for destroying objects, but magical items are not really a part of this rule set.

Generally, 4e does not want you taking away a players magical item because it is hard for the player to replace said item. One of the few ways 4e lets you (the DM) destroy a magic item is via a rust monster (and then the players get residuum equal to the cost of the magic item, so they can make it again).

Question:

Thanks in advance.

DHG 65 has rules for destroying objects, but magical items are not really a part of this rule set.

Generally, 4e does not want you taking away a players magical item because it is hard for the player to replace said item. One of the few ways 4e lets you (the DM) destroy a magic item is via a rust monster (and then the players get residuum equal to the cost of the magic item, so they can make it again).

Thanks for quick reply.

I devised a house rule: item is non-magic until an enchant item ritual is applied on it, paying 20% of the base value of the item (10% if a save was made for the item). Does this seem balanced, considering the Rust Monster effect?

Thank you Suoitidure and Sester for the quick replies and explanations.

And Taeran, don't worry about it, your answer was exactly what I thought too, but then I wasn't sure, which is why I posted the question to begin with :-).

asdfasd asd asd asd

Sorry my first post didn't work right.  My question is this, when does a power count as expended?  The obvious answer is when you have used it.  My question is at what point does it actually count as expended.  Example:  A Deva Fighter uses Passing Strike and it is going to miss, he then uses memory of a thousand lifetimes to make it hit.  At the point that he uses the deva racial, does the passing strike power count as expended?  

when does a power count as expended?  The obvious answer is when you have used it.  My question is at what point does it actually count as expended.  Example:  A Deva Fighter uses Passing Strike and it is going to miss, he then uses memory of a thousand lifetimes to make it hit.  At the point that he uses the deva racial, does the passing strike power count as expended?

Generally: yes.

Why? (the purpose could affect the answer, but probably wouldn't in the above example)

when does a power count as expended?  The obvious answer is when you have used it.  My question is at what point does it actually count as expended.  Example:  A Deva Fighter uses Passing Strike and it is going to miss, he then uses memory of a thousand lifetimes to make it hit.  At the point that he uses the deva racial, does the passing strike power count as expended?

Generally: yes.

Why? (the purpose could affect the answer, but probably wouldn't in the above example)

First of all thank you for your VERY timely response.  I was looking into something that would allow the use of an encounter power if you used a trigger, which was use of a racial power.  So I was wondering, (using the exmaple above) if I could use passing strike, then deva raical, and have it trigger to use passing strike again because the power didn't count as expended.  So basically it looks as if the power becomes expended at the moment that you designate a target or make the attack roll.  Either way it is expended before the use of the racial ability so you wouldn't be able to get a double use out of it.  So be it!  Once again thank you for your awesome timeliness!

In a LFR game when I use a potion of healing do I erase it from my character sheet or do I get it back at the start of the next adventure?

I have mark of storm and thunderwave.  My DM has ruled that the slide from mark must come after the push from thunderwave.  This was specifically in response to my hitting, sliding 1 out of the area, and then pushing.  Visualizing this is left as an exercise for the reader.

I would like to resolve the effects in any order I choose.  I need some kind of reference to bolster my argument.

In a LFR game when I use a potion of healing do I erase it from my character sheet or do I get it back at the start of the next adventure?

In LFR consumables are not restored at the start of adventures, once used they are gone for good.

Blah blah blah

In LFR consumables are not restored at the start of adventures, once used they are gone for good.

Thanks, I suspected as much but I asked one of my DMs and he was not sure but had had a player argue that you get it back, using mounts as an example of something that you can lose doing an adventure and get back at the end.

Sign In to post comments