Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15502 posts / 0 new
Last post

Excuse,I have a swordmage pg.If i take a mage's multiclass feat and later i take the feat call "spell's book amplied" (I'm italian and my translate of the name's feat can be wrong,but the feat spell's book amplied is on playerbook 1 and ask mage and wis 13)i take the mage day power?Is too important thanks.

Yes, you can.  In the Feats chapter, under 'Multiclass Feats' (PH pg. 208 in the English version), it says (emphasis mine):

A character who has taken a class-specific multiclass feat counts as a member of that class for the purpose of meeting prerequisites for taking other feats and qualifying for paragon paths.

P.S.  In English, the feat in question is called Expanded Spellbook.

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

Excuse,I have a swordmage pg.If i take a mage's multiclass feat and later i take the feat call "spell's book amplied" (I'm italian and my translate of the name's feat can be wrong,but the feat spell's book amplied is on playerbook 1 and ask mage and wis 13)i take the mage day power?Is too important thanks.

It's Expanded Spellbook.  While technically a multiclass wizard could take the feat, it won't actually do anything; the feat lets you add a spell to your spellbook whenever you gain a wizard daily attack power.  You could get a wizard daily attack power through the 10th level power swap feat, but you wouldn't have a spellbook to put the spell in; the wizard multiclass feat doesn't grant a spellbook.

I just have a spellbook because I have the feat student of the sword's magic(I rather the english name is this,italian name is studente della magia della spada).This feat is in on forgotten realms book.If I just have a spellbook can I take the daily mage's power garanted by explanded spellbook?

I just have a spellbook because I have the feat student of the sword's magic(I rather the english name is this,italian name is studente della magia della spada).This feat is in on forgotten realms book.

Ahh.  In that case, you can benefit a small amount from Expanded Spellbook; it makes it so that whenever you get a wizard daily attack power (if you take the power swap feat or paragon multiclass, for instance) you would put two wizard daily attack powers in your spellbook.  It won't do anything unless you gain wizard daily attack powers, though.

Why I don't recive all the daily power garanted by the feat?

Because Expaned Spellbook specifies that it only applies to levels at which you have a wizard daily attack power.  No wizard daily attack power, no extra spell.

The feat->"for every daily mage's level",not"for every mage daily power".

The English text:

"Choose one daily wizard attack spell of every level you know. Add this spell to your spellbook.
Each time you gain a new level of daily wizard attack spells, you learn one extra spell of that level"

While the first sentence is slightly ambiguous (it should be "Choose one daily wizard attack spell of every level you know a daily wizard attack spell" to be more clear), the third sentence makes it clear; you only add an extra spell at levels that you gain a daily wizard attack spell.

mmh ok,thanks chaos master but the feat's ruling is very ambiguos.Bye bye and thanks again!

Is there a difference between death saving throws and a common saving throws?

Well, a 20 on a death saving throw does something unique. However, a death saving throw is a subset of regular saving throws... things that affect normal saving throws affect death saving throws.

So if you have the feat Human Perseverance, you also get the +1 to your death saving throws?

Yes, it's a saving throw.

May I ask: Does the damage from divine challenge trigger only once, or only once per turn? That is, if the damage is triggered, does the paladin have to "re-challenge" in order to set up the damage on a subsequent turn, or does the paladin just have to remain "engaged" with the target?

As-written:  He must re-challenge every round to get new damage, although the Mark remains.

As-intended:  The damage refreshes every round with no additional action on his part.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

When flying (or hell, even swimming), can a creature/PC benefit from the "run" move action?

When flying (or hell, even swimming), can a creature/PC benefit from the "run" move action?

You can "run" for any movement mode that you have. If you have to make a check to be able to move in an environment then you cannot run (like swimming and climbing under normal circumstances).

If I am sustaining Moment of Glory on an ally and the ally is reduced to zero or less hps does the effect persist while he is down and after he gets back up? The DM last night seemed to think that all effects drop when someone is reduced to dying and they don't come back when the person recovers.

If my Dragonborn Cleric with Breath of Life uses Hurl Breath and gets caught in the burst of his own breath weapon would he gain +STR THP or take dmg from the breath weapon?

As-written:  He must re-challenge every round to get new damage, although the Mark remains.

As-intended:  The damage refreshes every round with no additional action on his part.

More precisely:

As-written: He must re-challenge every round to get new damage, although the mark remains.  However, the paladin is prohibited from challenging an already-challenged target, so it's not possible to re-challenge the same target.

As-intended and as almost always played: Staying engaged with the target effectly re-challenges the target, so he can deal the damage again each round.

If I am sustaining Moment of Glory on an ally and the ally is reduced to zero or less hps does the effect persist while he is down and after he gets back up? The DM last night seemed to think that all effects drop when someone is reduced to dying and they don't come back when the person recovers.

If my Dragonborn Cleric with Breath of Life uses Hurl Breath and gets caught in the burst of his own breath weapon would he gain +STR THP or take dmg from the breath weapon?

Falling unconcious does not remove any effects from a character.  He'd continue to resist damage while unconcious and when restored to conciousness.

The dragonborn would neither take damge or gain THP.  Breath of Life makes it only target enemies, so you can't target yourself for damage, but only grants THP to allies.  Since you don't count as your own ally, you won't gain THP.

Can Minions gain temporary Hit Points?

-Vennemunon 

Can Minions gain temporary Hit Points?

Nothing stops 'em!

Since nothing says a minion *can't* get THP, it can.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.

If I use the heal skill and stabilize someone because they have already used their second wind is there any kind of roll they can make to wake up during the fight or are they unconcious and stable until the end of the fight with nothing that they can do to try and get back in the action to help. If someone has used their second wind and is dying, is stabilizing them the only thing I can do with the heal skill to help them? No DC 15 check I can make to try and wake them up?

Thanks for the help on the dragonborn breath and breath of life combo, its not real clear in the description and the builder does not help at all.

FYI

There is new information by Custserv on Forced Movement in damaging zone. In Consolidated Answers from Customer Services Post #539

How do you handle forced movement into damaging zones? There is no effect if the zone's damage is worded as "moves into a zone", but wording of "enters zone" does take effect if you are forced into it. Discussed here and here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW INFORMATION

So, I called CustServ to clarify why there is a contradiction between their contradictory rulings on forced movement with Storm Pillar and Wall of Fire (well... and also to fix my CustServ email form page).
Because you can't post a phone conversation I had Jason @ CustServ send me an email with the current ruling from WotC on forced movement:

*****ANSWER*****

Bryan,

Here's the most recent clarification for the forced movement / Storm Pillar / Wall of Fire interaction.
Forced movement counts as moving
. We won't say it's the same thing as regular movement, because it doesn't require a move action, etc.
The squares occupied by a Wall of Fire should be considered the Wall's space, and treated accordingly. This is slightly different from how the squares adjacent to Storm Pillar are treated: each one is considered a separate "adjacent space".

Thus:

• 1. Being forced to move adjacent to a Storm Pillar counts as "moving into a square adjacent" and *does* trigger damage.

• 2. Moving (or being moved) from one Pillar-adjacent square into another triggers more damage.

• 3. Being forced to move into a Wall of Fire from outside the Wall's space counts as moving into the Wall's space and will also trigger damage. Please note that moving into a square occupied by the Wall takes 3 extra squares of movement; further, this stipulation is applicable to forced movement.

Hope this helps. As always, keep an eye on the updates and FAQ pages, as we may receive more information from R&D sometime soon. In addition, per the norm, these rulings are subject to DM approval (even for RPGA games).

Jason
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

_______________________________________________________________________________

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

What happens when you don't take an extended rest? Aside from not recharging daily/encounter power, recovering or using surges, and recharging item encounter and daily item powers, do you suffer any other drawback? I was sure there was some rule about rolling endurance checks to fight fatigue, but I see nothing of the sort.

What happens when you don't take an extended rest? Aside from not recharging daily/encounter power, recovering or using surges, and recharging item encounter and daily item powers, do you suffer any other drawback?

You've mostly got it - no resetting Surges, Dailies, or Daily Magic Item Uses.  There are a couple of other small things that trigger on Extended Rests - disease progression, Wizards choosing Spellbook powers, some magic items trigger after an Extended Rest, etc - but you've got it.

I was sure there was some rule about rolling endurance checks to fight fatigue, but I see nothing of the sort.

#1:  Nope.  Nothing like that.

#2:  "Extended Rest" does not necessarily mean "Sleep".   Or, rather, you can sleep without taking an Extended Rest - napping 3 hours at a time between vigorous activity, for example, wouldn't trigger an Extended Rest. There are also limits on how often you can have an Extended Rest - wake up, fight for 5 minutes, Extended Rest *doesn't work* because you need 16 hours between Extended Rests.

And, technically, you can simply *choose not to have an Extended Rest*.  The catch is, most PCs won't want to do that, since I can't actually think of any good reasons to pass up an Extended Rest when you get the chance.  Meliorating Armor, maybe - but you'd better have a *ton* of at-will Healing and no need for your Daily Powers if you're going to try it, and enemies targeting your NADs will make you cry.

Thanks for the response!

Well, the reason I asked was because a fellow darklock PC decided to stack his darkspiral auras to an exaggerated amount (about 24 at level 2). The DM made him roll an endurance check for deciding not to take rests for an extended timeframe, but neither of us could find any rule about that; he jimmied up his own rule as a placeholder.

Needless to say, the darklock succeeded the endurance check, so no worries I suppose...

Thanks for the response!

Well, the reason I asked was because a fellow darklock PC decided to stack his darkspiral auras to an exaggerated amount (about 24 at level 2). The DM made him roll an endurance check for deciding not to take rests for an extended timeframe, but neither of us could find any rule about that; he jimmied up his own rule as a placeholder.

That does work, but consider:

The Darklock is not even taking *short* rests while he stacks that up.  Meaning, no Healing Surges that don't come from a power, no refreshing Encounter Powers, nothing.  As well, whee.  He's got 24 charges in his aura, so he can blast *one guy* real good.

So make him use it.  Start *hitting him*.  Either he'll use it (problem solved!) or he won't use it and he'll keep getting hit - and you'll run him out of surges in no time.

Got a few quick questions here:

#1  Warlock Daily 1 "Your Glorious Sacrifice" found in FRPG pg. 36

Under the effect portion, when dealing damage to an adjacent ally while using this power, does an arcane familiar count as such an ally?  This just seems a little cheap to me but I don't think it's against the rules.

#2  I have a player who is making a Firesoul Genasi Sorcerer with Dragon Magic.  He's decided to take the fire resistance as part of his Dragon Soul class feature.  So this would mean that he has resist 5 fire from both being a firesoul genasi and having fire dragon soul.  Do these resistances stack in this case, making it a total of resist 10 fire?

#1  Warlock Daily 1 "Your Glorious Sacrifice" found in FRPG pg. 36

Under the effect portion, when dealing damage to an adjacent ally while using this power, does an arcane familiar count as such an ally?  This just seems a little cheap to me but I don't think it's against the rules.

I believe an Active Mode familiar does count, since it's a creature, on your side, has hit points, and isn't you.

Your DM may decide differently, in practice.

#2  I have a player who is making a Firesoul Genasi Sorcerer with Dragon Magic.  He's decided to take the fire resistance as part of his Dragon Soul class feature.  So this would mean that he has resist 5 fire from both being a firesoul genasi and having fire dragon soul.  Do these resistances stack in this case, making it a total of resist 10 fire?

If the resistances don't *say* they stack, they don't.  For an example of a stacking resistance, check out the Akanul regional background, from Forgotten Realms.

FYI

There is new information by Custserv on Forced Movement in damaging zone. In Consolidated Answers from Customer Services Post #539

How do you handle forced movement into damaging zones? There is no effect if the zone's damage is worded as "moves into a zone", but wording of "enters zone" does take effect if you are forced into it. Discussed here and here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW INFORMATION

So, I called CustServ to clarify why there is a contradiction between their contradictory rulings on forced movement with Storm Pillar and Wall of Fire (well... and also to fix my CustServ email form page).
Because you can't post a phone conversation I had Jason @ CustServ send me an email with the current ruling from WotC on forced movement:

*****ANSWER*****

Bryan,

Here's the most recent clarification for the forced movement / Storm Pillar / Wall of Fire interaction.
Forced movement counts as moving
. We won't say it's the same thing as regular movement, because it doesn't require a move action, etc.
The squares occupied by a Wall of Fire should be considered the Wall's space, and treated accordingly. This is slightly different from how the squares adjacent to Storm Pillar are treated: each one is considered a separate "adjacent space".

Thus:

• 1. Being forced to move adjacent to a Storm Pillar counts as "moving into a square adjacent" and *does* trigger damage.

• 2. Moving (or being moved) from one Pillar-adjacent square into another triggers more damage.

• 3. Being forced to move into a Wall of Fire from outside the Wall's space counts as moving into the Wall's space and will also trigger damage. Please note that moving into a square occupied by the Wall takes 3 extra squares of movement; further, this stipulation is applicable to forced movement.

Hope this helps. As always, keep an eye on the updates and FAQ pages, as we may receive more information from R&D sometime soon. In addition, per the norm, these rulings are subject to DM approval (even for RPGA games).

Jason
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

_______________________________________________________________________________

Seeing as how CS responses were the only reason there was ever a question about whether or not forced movement worked as a trigger for "moves into a square", I'm not sure this really has much impact.  But then I ignore CS as they tend to cause far more confusion than clarity when they start ruling on hard questions.
People have claimed that there was "consensus" about there being a difference between "move" and "enter", but the FAQ ruling on Wall of Fire should have long since extinguished that conjecture.

I got another quick one, or at least it's quick to ask.

Talenta Tangat - superior
Large
properties: Small, versatile, high-crit

Now, would this mean that a medium sized PC, let's say Human, could wield this?
Just to make sure: We're talking about the large-sized weapon here, not the normal-sized.
This is the "bugbear" edition, so to say. 

Large

Just to make sure: We're talking about the large-sized weapon here, not the normal-sized.

Nope, the Small Property specifically works for Small creatures.  The Human would need the large-sized Talenta Tangat to have the "Medium" property.  It doesn't, nor does such a property exist.  
Regardless, in general creatures can't wield weapons that are of a larger size that they are.  There are rules for small creatures to get around this.

Large

No.  Weapons that are Large (or larger) cannot be wielded by medium or small creatures, period.  Bugbears and Eternal Defenders have an exception to this rule.

Thanks for the tip. Can you post it to the thread I link to in the FAQ answer? We can't really debate issues effectively in this thread, but if the forum comes to a new consensus (i.e. simple majority) on an issue, then the forum FAQ answer will normally reflect it.

the FAQ ruling on Wall of Fire should have long since extinguished that conjecture.

I would tend to agree. I believe previous consensus was prior to the Wall of Fire answer being added to the PHB FAQ. Bring your comments to the appropriate thread (here), and we can get the forum FAQ updated after suitable discussion (not here, for obvious reasons) and consensus.

The Artificer lvl 2 utility power Bolster Armor has no listed duration.

So how long does it last?

RAW, until whoever has the bonus gets rid of it as a free action.

RAI, probably until the end of the encounter.

RAW, until whoever has the bonus gets rid of it as a free action.

RAI, probably until the end of the encounter.

Thank you. That brings me to a few other questions being new to these forums. What is RAW and RAI? As well is there a consolidated list of D&D acronyms.

Thank you. That brings me to a few other questions being new to these forums. What is RAW and RAI? As well is there a consolidated list of D&D acronyms.

Rules As Written and Rules As Intended.

You can see a glossary of forum terms here.

Hi All,

I'm swapping out a magic item in our Thunderspire Labyrinth game and was going to go with a Mace of Healing +2 for our undermanned Cleric, Justice Shimmerwin.

The magic Mace has this property: "When you use a power that restores hit points to an ally, add an item bonus (+2) equal to this weapon's enhancement bonus (+2) to the amount restored.

So, my question is...

Q1: Does he have to be wielding this mace in order to grant that healing bonus (like say when he does a Healing Word)? Not a big deal now but he might have a better weapon later and want to understand the enhancement requirement now.

And for an unrelated follow-up question:

Q2: Do any DMs out there do anything in terms of a miss on a thrown weapon (shuriken, throwing hammer, arrows, bolts, etc)? We've been doing a percentage miss (40%) that the ammo is lost, broken, etc. I'm starting to think that our current rule is too intense and was wondering if there are any official or house rules I should know about for this one.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom (+4),

Ben

"Say hey" on Twitter
Check out our blog: Ben's RPG Pile
Subscribe to our weekly video podcast  

Q1: Does he have to be wielding this mace in order to grant that healing bonus (like say when he does a Healing Word)? Not a big deal now but he might have a better weapon later and want to understand the enhancement requirement now.

He has to be holding it in his hand and be able to attack with it to get that bonus (so he could not, say, hold it in a hand that has a light shield).

Q2: Do any DMs out there do anything in terms of a miss on a thrown weapon (shuriken, throwing hammer, arrows, bolts, etc)? We've been doing a percentage miss (40%) that the ammo is lost, broken, etc. I'm starting to think that our current rule is too intense and was wondering if there are any official or house rules I should know about for this one.

According to PH 221, ammunition is lost when it is used. This includes arrows, bolts, and bullets. There is no such rule for heavy or light thrown weapons, so they should not be used up by RAW. Considering magical thrown weapons always return, it seems to be that weapons in general cannot be lost or broken when thrown.

That said, you can do what you want. I do not make my players track their ammo (flavored as the magic weapons produce magical ammunition when the weapon is readied to fire). If you want to make thrown weapons break, I would recommend doing it on a critical miss (for non-magical weapons only).